Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

Continued transmission research...

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Continued transmission research...

I need a new tranny. Currently I have a stock tranny in my 00 DX (D16Y7). I've got grinding in 2nd gear - randomly - and I don't grind my action. I've read from another post that if I keep the engine from the car, I need to get a D series transmission. How the heck do I figure this out?!
Old 02-01-2014, 12:28 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Continued transmission research...

What exactly are you even talking about? Just take your transmission to a shop and have it rebuilt. That was easy.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 37 Likes on 37 Posts

Just have the transmission rebuilt if you want to keep it stock. If you want more performance you can have it rebuilt and change the FD or use a Z6 or Y8 transmission.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by N3va3vaSatisfi3d
What exactly are you even talking about? Just take your transmission to a shop and have it rebuilt. That was easy.
Not as easy as it seems. There's no one in this general area that could do it quickly within my timeframe. My work school schedule is erratic and difficult. Replacement is cheaper. Plus, an upgrade is always better than what one has.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Aquafina
Just have the transmission rebuilt if you want to keep it stock. If you want more performance you can have it rebuilt and change the FD or use a Z6 or Y8 transmission.
M.E.G.A. thanks. I wasn't sure about the Z6. I'm trying to understand this gear ratio thing. Not even sure what Final Drive really is yet. I'm a noob, wading through muck to find the best answers! Do you have any sites I can look at to learn about gear ratios and FDs - and what all that actually means?

I am looking for more performance - albeit one very slow, excruciating step at a time. My tranny's fairly important - I figure since that's a bit unhappy right now, I'd better handle that first so I can keep driving.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:37 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuominous
Not even sure what Final Drive really is yet.
The final drive is the countershaft and ring gear on the differential. The lower the numerical value of the final drive the quicker the car will accelerate, the tradeoffs are mileage and top speed. Top speed should never be an issue since even with the shortest/lowest geared transmission available for your engine other factors will limit your top speed before the transmission ever does. The same goes for 1st through 5th gear, the lower the number the quicker the car will accelerate. A Z6 or Y8 trans is the lowest geared drop in replacement available.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8
The final drive is the countershaft and ring gear on the differential. The lower the numerical value of the final drive the quicker the car will accelerate, the tradeoffs are mileage and top speed. Top speed should never be an issue since even with the shortest/lowest geared transmission available for your engine other factors will limit your top speed before the transmission ever does. The same goes for 1st through 5th gear, the lower the number the quicker the car will accelerate. A Z6 or Y8 trans is the lowest geared drop in replacement available.

Well, that makes sense.

Thanks for the info! I'm searching like mad now for either the Z6 or Y8 as both you and Aquafina had said. Now that I understand final drive, I know what to ask and look for. I'm not interested in getting hosed by some shifty (pun notwithstanding...) Dealer or seller because I don't know the right info.

Now I just have to find one.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 37 Likes on 37 Posts

Check your PM's.