Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

clutch lifespan once it starts slipping.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch lifespan once it starts slipping.

My clutch started slipping recently. It's not far along and the only symptoms right now is rough acceleration in the first three gears and a slight drop in fuel efficiency. I'm planning on moving long distance and need my car to take me roughly 2000 miles. Having to change out the clutch would be a major setback right now. Given that the journey is 99% freeway and that clutch wear is variable depending on the driver, given the limited information I can provide, is would it be too big a risk to attempt such a long trip with the current clutch?

In case it helps, it is a 94 accord lx 5speed and it does have Vtech printed a cross the valve cover. I haven't confirmed that it's actually Vtech and not a salvaged valve cover from picknpull. It has approx 340k miles and if it were anything but a honda, I wouldn't even attempt a 2000mile drive with that many accumulated miles on the car.
Old 05-12-2016, 01:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: clutch lifespan once it starts slipping.

I can't wait two weeks to find that no one could be bothered to help with a response like with my last question. A 2k mile move isn't something someone decides on a whim and there is a lot counting on this car making it and I'm on a deadline. I really do need to have some idea if I can wait till after the drive to change the clutch or if the need is more immediate. Moves like this are really expensive so if the clutch can wait then it will but if it can't then I need to know so I can get it done and figure out how to cushion the expense. Like I said, I can't afford to wait two weeks for no response. Please let me know that coming to honda tech wasn't a complete waste of time.
Old 05-12-2016, 02:14 AM
Ferio Wdm Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Depends on how bad its slipping. If its slippig in 5th, you should change it out. Id go tovthe parts store and get one and swap it that day. Seevif you have a selonoid by the back or side of the head. Thatll let you know if has vtec.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:51 AM
kp
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nicholas Bailey
My clutch started slipping recently. It's not far along and the only symptoms right now is rough acceleration in the first three gears and a slight drop in fuel efficiency.
How do you know it's the clutch? Sounds like you may have something else going on.

Try driving at low speed in 3rd gear and flooring it, does it slip? Alternatively, try the same with light pressure on the brake pedal, floor the gas pedal and see if it slips.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by kp
How do you know it's the clutch? Sounds like you may have something else going on.

Try driving at low speed in 3rd gear and flooring it, does it slip? Alternatively, try the same with light pressure on the brake pedal, floor the gas pedal and see if it slips.
To be honest, I don't know for sure it's the clutch. The car was recently stolen and recovered. It never had a problem before being stolen so my insurance payer out to have the car professionally looked at. The mechanic made the call. I don't really know much if anything useful about transmissions or clutches for that matter so I'm not really sure how to verify his diagnosis besides eliminating anything else I can think of that would cause similar symptoms. I've just recently replaced the fuel pump and filter plus all the engine compartment grounds have been thoroughly checked and cleaned. This was to fix a stalling problem I had in September (still can't believe it wasn't the main relay) the entire distributor assembly and ignition cables were replaced about 2 years ago and the igniter was checked when I was diagnosing the earlier stalling problem. Actually, most of the diagnostics for the stalling problem are the same things I'd check for rough acceleration. The car does need new tires and it will get them before traveling but out of round tires have a particular feel to the roughness and this isn't it. I'll take it through the checks you gave me. It puts my mind at ease a bit having something to do to verify what the mechanic said.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ferio-ichi3
Depends on how bad its slipping. If its slippig in 5th, you should change it out. Id go tovthe parts store and get one and swap it that day. Seevif you have a selonoid by the back or side of the head. Thatll let you know if has vtec.
I'll take a peak for the selenoid, but the more I think about it I doubt I'll find it. I don't believe the LX had vtec. This is one of those (cycle through everyone in the family) cars so I pretty much know that none of the previous owners would spend the money to have vtec installed nor would any of them know where to begin if they attempted it themselves. I was just toying with the thought that if it did have vtec, wouldn't it cause a rough acceleration if a camshaft wasn't seating properly when I'm the low rpm position.
Old 05-13-2016, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thankyou Kp for those checks. Looks like I won't be looking to buy a clutch kit as soon as I thought. Now I'm thinking the mechanic just took the insurance money and picked an answer our his ***. I'm reminded why I started doing my own auto work.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I might have found a new oil leak in the transmission.
I don't know for sure because on an engine oil leak that isn't real serious but it's messy making it hard to be positive the transmission is leaking. It looks like the leak is coming from the cover plate just behind the passenger front wheel. The cover looks like it comes right off after removing some bolts.change the gasket, bolt it back on and go. I don't know exactly what's behind that pannel and I don't want to risk damaging anything inside. Once I know for sure it's a leak I'll post a pic.