Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

Can we have transmission tech time?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can we have transmission tech time?

I have collected quite a few transmissions over the years, some of which I have no idea what is broken in them, if anything at all; all of them are apart (or were apart).

I put together a B16 trans and and it doesn't shift into any gears but 4th. What causes that?

The reason for this thread: Can anyone post pics of good parts and bad parts? To me (an untrained eye) all syncros look the same. How can I tell if they are bad? how can I tell if sliders are bad and ect.

Good detailed pics and explanations about transmissions or links would be amazing.

Old 08-24-2008, 05:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can we have transmission tech time? (SwappedTURBOegg)

the syncros are not even half the battle, you have to look at the teeth inside the slider, to see if they still have a nice point on them, if they are flattend, chances are, your trans will give you a real hard time.... if the teeth on the gear(where the slider enguages) are flattend, same senerio,.. trans will be giving you problems.

you have to know which direction the slider's go on, or you will have problems(3/4 slider and 5/R slider)
obviously the 1/2 slider isnt hard to get mixed up because of the teeth for the reverse gear.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can we have transmission tech time? (rota92)

ahh i remember those days like it was yesterday. what a pain at first but once u do it a few times it becomes clockwork.
i just happen 2 have a few pics left on the e-net
here is a bad slider. it is what the shift fork slides up & down 2 go from gear neutral gear.
as u can see all the points are rounded off good & burred up. not good needs to be pointed & smooth (everything needs to be smooth everywhere) now the burs are your worst problem cause they will grind up everything & not allow u 2 select gears cause they get caught up. & they will eat your syncros alive.

now we are onto the HUB this is what goes between the syncros & gears & guides the
slider up & down ect..
again everything needs to be smooth, as it is not. notice between the teeth the deep scratches. that is from the burs on the slider. this is where it will get stuck most the time. also notice the darker spots ont the teeth this it from heat build up ect. & it over times become scratched up.

now onto the syncro. this syncro in my book I would put back in. this was not in the same spot as the last 2 parts other wise their wouldn't be anything teeth left to show cause the brass is softer & would of been flat where u see the teeth make a point. this is a very crucial part when it comes to engagement & smoothness. so it must always look like this or better (not worse).
this is all i got . but these are your main parts for gear selection besides the actual gear teeth themselves but u should understand what they are supposed to like now.
post up some pics of what u are using & we can help u more from thier
Old 08-24-2008, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can we have transmission tech time? (ALL IMPORT)

That was super helpful thank you. i will snap some pix of my trash later on.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can we have transmission tech time? (SwappedTURBOegg)

Old 08-25-2008, 03:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hahha good job ! that sucks bigtime !
Old 08-25-2008, 04:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rota92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Tech: Don't be a dummy and rush to get a spool in and the trans back together in an hour when it's your first time. Despite being totally conscious of left hand threads, I had my massive impact gun on LEFT to take them out.
All came out except for one, so my trans is empty and the spool is off to the machine shop. It didn't help the bolt was already rounded off, but I certainly didn't help </TD></TR></TABLE>

lmfao i remember that day. damn did it **** me off. i 2 had to take that pita to the machine shop & re trace the reverse threads, lol
Old 08-25-2008, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rota92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Here is a little tranny tech for ya, as well as a little tip.

Tip: Don't fly, I messed up taking the ring gear off a spool like an idiot. So the stuff on wing with my name behind it most likely sucks too lol

Tech: Don't be a dummy and rush to get a spool in and the trans back together in an hour when it's your first time. Despite being totally conscious of left hand threads, I had my massive impact gun on LEFT to take them out.

All came out except for one, so my trans is empty and the spool is off to the machine shop. It didn't help the bolt was already rounded off, but I certainly didn't help

</TD></TR></TABLE>

The funny thing about this was about 30 min before i had told Ryan in his basement that the threads on those bolts were opposite..

Haha we all make mistakes.. It will be taken care of today though!
Old 08-25-2008, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

weird i didnt know this forum was here.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yup, just popped up out of the blue! Big to GK/Bense/IB for making it happen
Old 09-02-2008, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MFactory)

i finally got around to working on these transmissions. I took a bunch of pics of all the stuff i am considering using, i still cant tell whats good or bad.

sliders first

some syncrios

bunch of random there ^

the hubs look ok to me. but idk

Old 09-02-2008, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the sliders are for different for each pic no repeats i dont think... so if something you spot is bad LMK sorry for the cluster f uck post.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SwappedTURBOegg)

well i can say everything is deff rusted up, lol
if u cant get them back 2 perfect dont use them. expecially the syncros. they already look all burnt up 2 me aside from rusted all up. so thats going to do nothing but cause friction & burn your trans all up & nto wanting to go into gear.

im asuming the second to last pic the slider on the top was your first gear. it looks rounded off so no good.

get that stuff cleaned up good & repost them so we can get a better look but it doesnt look good 2 me.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

parts fron one of the ls parts tranny has some rust issues.
Old 09-06-2008, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SwappedTURBOegg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i finally got around to working on these transmissions. I took a bunch of pics of all the stuff i am considering using, i still cant tell whats good or bad.

sliders first

some syncrios

bunch of random there ^

the hubs look ok to me. but idk

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Pic #1 - I would probably reuse the slider in the middle and bottom only assuming the other side looks comparible to the side shown.

Pic #2, #3 and #4 - I might reuse the slider in the middle....again assuming bottom is similar to top. I would lightly sand them with some 1500 grit to break those sharp burs if any.

Pic #5 - I might reuse the top one....again depending on the other side and lightly sanding.

All the other ones I would throw at people I didn't like aiming for their nuts.

Pic #1 of syncros/gears - with the obvious rust and poo on it...make sure there are no hot spots. I would be on the fence about reusing any of those.

Pic #2 - Hard to tell, but doesn't look too bad. I would probably reuse if it cleans up.

Pic #3 - Syncro teeth look ok, but that gear syncro teeth are toast. One thing to note on the syncros are the condition of the inside also. If they are worn smooth, galled up, etc. Something to look out for.

Pic #4 - who knows...lol. Hard to see from the pics.

Pic #1 &2 of the hubs - look pretty good if they clean up and have no hot spots.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thank you
Old 09-07-2008, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just curious, did you use gear oil in this trans?
Old 09-07-2008, 10:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (vinuneuro)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vinuneuro &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just curious, did you use gear oil in this trans?</TD></TR></TABLE>parts of one did have gear oil in it when i took it apart. i could smell it, i bought 3 that were half apart to try and piece together i have never used them.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Kinda looks like it, a lot of gear oils aren't compatible with brass.