Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

Axle issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axle issues

hey guys.
yes ive searched through the forum and found a few threads on this however they're all fairly old so i wanna see what people run nowadays
So heres my situation, shortly after ITR swapping my LS my axles started clicking. My mechanic at the time got me a set of cheap aftermarket axles which started clicking again after about a month.
Since then ive tried rebuilt axles and a set of very used b16 axles, they all started clicking within a month of installing.

So far by talking with people and looking on forums, it is most likely due to low quality axles in combination with being low and cambered.
I live in Australia so the only performance axles i really have access to are hasports and insane shafts. Importing raxles or DSS will cost me over $600 in shipping alone.
I was thinking of going with stage ones as I don't drag, just light circuit racing every now and then, my engine is bone stock.

I'm paranoid there might be something causing this besides being low, cambered and using **** axles.
So any opinions are greatly appreciated as well as any experience you have with aftermarket performance axles.
Thanks in advance
Old 03-14-2018, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Re: Axle issues

See if your local Honda dealer can get you oe outer joint and boot, put that on your old Honda axle and see how long it lasts.

I've seen the so called performance axles fail, and fast. Not worth the extra money.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

If you are really low, you might try a slightly shorter axle. You didn't specify what chassis you have, so I cannot suggest a length or application at this time.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
If you are really low, you might try a slightly shorter axle. You didn't specify what chassis you have, so I cannot suggest a length or application at this time.
You're right my bad, its a 98 DC2. I don't think I'm that low, about 1.5 inches lower than stock. I've considered custom length axles but the cost is just too high for me to consider them over aftermarket performance axles, assuming the latter would hold up.
Old 03-15-2018, 03:30 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

First, check if your axles are the correct length and whether too long or too short. There may be an axle from a slightly different year/model that will fit better.

To do this.....

1.) Jack up car until axles are roughly level with the ground
2.) Remove axle nut
3.) Tap on end of axle until it is fully compressed

The end of the axle should be flush with the hub opening, within 1/8" either way. If it sticks out further or is recessed into the hole, then it is either too long or short.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:12 AM
H-T Premium Sponsor

Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by 2x0
First, check if your axles are the correct length and whether too long or too short. There may be an axle from a slightly different year/model that will fit better.

To do this.....

1.) Jack up car until axles are roughly level with the ground
2.) Remove axle nut
3.) Tap on end of axle until it is fully compressed

The end of the axle should be flush with the hub opening, within 1/8" either way. If it sticks out further or is recessed into the hole, then it is either too long or short.
that is how you measure axle length but jacking up the car is not necessary. the car needs to be on the ground for proper measurement
Old 03-16-2018, 04:24 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Hasport
that is how you measure axle length but jacking up the car is not necessary. the car needs to be on the ground for proper measurement

Thanks for the correction! I suppose ideally the axles should be level to the ground without the need to jack it up.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:48 AM
H-T Premium Sponsor

Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by 2x0
Thanks for the correction! I suppose ideally the axles should be level to the ground without the need to jack it up.
hey you did a good job explaining how to do it
Old 03-19-2018, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for all the advice guys,
just checked the length of my current axles and they look fine, the end of the axle is completely flush with the hub.
i figure i just need a good set of axles so decided to go with hasport and will probably reduce my camber and raise the car a tad before i put them in.
also
do you guys think it would be worth it to buy high temp cv grease for these axles or would that be unnecessary? I heard it prolongs the life of the joints especially on the track.