2nd gear lockout issue *TRANSMISSION EXPERTS*

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd gear lockout issue *TRANSMISSION EXPERTS*

1998 Integra RS
B20B Engine
GSR Trans (LS 5th/ carbon coated synchros/ Wavetrac LSD)
Innovative polyurethane motor mounts
Brand New O.E. Shift Rod
Hybrid Racing shifter
hardrace front shifter bushing
dimes rear solid shifter bushing

Hello, I have been having a 2nd gear lockout issue recently with my transmission. The transmission has been rebuilt by a reputable shop which I will not post their name due to the fact that I admire the shop and respect what they do. It all started with an LS transmission that had a 3rd gear grind, and was told by the previous owner about 5-6 years ago that the car had a GSR transmission. My wife gifted me a wavetrac LSD for a GSR, being that I was under the impression I owned a gsr trans. I drop my transmission and cracked it open to attempt the installation myself, just to find that the transmission is a LS transmission. To try and make a long story short, I located a "gsr" transmission from a small shop through offer up in southern CA that works in a unit, and I paid them to have the LSD installed with an LS 5th from my old transmission. Ended up facing a problem with a loud gear whine, and I sent the transmission out to a REPUTABLE shop this time. was told that the transmission had mismatched gears, and that the diff was incorrectly shimmed and that the case was cracked. Bear in mind that I did not have any shifting issues with the LS transmission I had or this hackjob GSR transmission. Based on the recommendation of the advisor, this reputable shop pretty much overhauled my transmission with new bearings, hubs , carbon synchros, installed my lsd, and kept the LS 5th and a few other things. I went through the break in process over a 5-6 month period. I ended up have 2nd gear lockout issues and first noticed them every time I would try to rev match from 3rd to 2nd, also getting into 3rd and 4th were a little odd. It was almost as if I need to rotate the shift shaft a little more to the right just to get in. I did rev match into 4th, and 3rd, and was unable to replicate the 2nd gear lockout I was experiencing. I sent the transmission back to this shop, being that it is still under warranty. Was told that there was a 2nd gear clearance issue, and that when the transmission was being bench tested, there was a problem getting into reverse and that 2nd gear had shown wear due to the fact that I was trying to force it in gear during the lockouts. I was also told some gearsets were replaced and that was it. Installed the transmission back in, and now 2nd gear is a lot tougher to get into, and I have to apply more effort in rotating the shift shaft to the far right to get into reverse as opposed to the first time I got the transmission from this shop. THE PROBLEMS I mentioned can be replicated with the car OFF. I'm sure its something in the transmission, and was hoping that someone on here could shed some light on what it can be internally.

Tried to make this short as possible. without leaving out important details I guess.

I uploaded a video on youtube with the car off to give you guys an idea. didn't really demonstrate the effort I need to apply for reverse.

Last edited by dc97; 01-31-2019 at 04:01 PM. Reason: forgot to add to the title
Old 02-01-2019, 04:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 37 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Re: 2nd gear lockout issue *TRANSMISSION EXPERTS*

Presuming the clutch and clutch hydraulic system is good. Remove the shift linkage and use a punch or screwdriver to manually shift the transmission into gear. Is it still difficult to get into gear? If no, it is a shifter/linkage problem. If yes, it is an internal problem. What exactly the problem is I can't say without seeing it.
Old 02-01-2019, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just throw it away its no good. juz kidding bro. i would start with bench testing the transmission ensuring the gears operate smoothly, afterwards, if all seems good, inspect the shift linkage for proper clearance. worst case you have a bad shift selector in the case or misalignment inside the transmission.

Last edited by vamp_racing; 02-01-2019 at 05:10 PM. Reason: needed to add more info
Old 02-01-2019, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Aquafina
Presuming the clutch and clutch hydraulic system is good. Remove the shift linkage and use a punch or screwdriver to manually shift the transmission into gear. Is it still difficult to get into gear? If no, it is a shifter/linkage problem. If yes, it is an internal problem. What exactly the problem is I can't say without seeing it.

So I manually moved the transmission shift shaft today with the shift rod disconnected. I was unable to replicate the 2nd gear bind with a screwdriver but I did feel a jam in 3rd and 4th a couple times. From first to second there isn't an issue, but from neutral to second or from third to second. I know for a fact that its a transmission issue due to the fact that I did not have any shift issues with the previous two transmissions I have used, and not a linkage/shifter issue. Also, when casually driving in 3rd gear at 3000 rpms and downshifting, 2nd gear locks up intermittently. That issue does not occur when downshifting from 5th and 4th gear.

Not sure if this really signifies anything but I also wanted to share this. I feel as if the culprit might be in the shift change holder assembly or somewhere in that area. Here are a couple more uploads of the free play in neutral,

and excess side to side play in 1st & 2nd gear as opposed to 3rd, 4th
Old 02-02-2019, 11:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If my two cents matter much thats too much. Do u know if that shifter you are using has any adjustments to the side left to right , well i would state looking at all the info you have provided a bad shift selector or misalignment inside transmission case. Also you have to remember the shifter you are using is alot taller making seem and feel longer when preparing to engage first. Maybe try another shifter see if the problem is duplicated?
Old 02-04-2019, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 37 Likes on 37 Posts

Contact the shop that did the work and tell them you'd like them to take another look at it.