Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

1988 Honda Accord LX Sedan TRANNY HELP PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 03:51 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1988 Honda Accord LX Sedan TRANNY HELP PLEASE

I lost all gears, I think.
Bought car 4 days ago had no 5th gear others fine....2 days ago a loud boom thud bam like I hit and drove over a 50 gallon metal drum. A couple miles later like 2 tried to drive up a steep hill car made grind sound and stopped. Boyfriend got car down to flat level parked it...lost reverse, 1st, 2nd, then drove 3 blocks home parked car. Have not drove since. Car starts right up sounds great tested today went into 1st drove 5 ft started grinding sound listen to my man and let car roll back into spot..cant move shifter out of 1st....shut car off.
Looked under hood oily substance spewed up from below on lower left corner of engine on drivers side.
Today car was started shifted into all gears then got stuck and shut it down.
I have no idea about anything and am in need of help. I am willing to listen and check things out if anyone could please guide me as to what to do and how to fix. I have a young child and its snowing and cold outside everyones had a hard past year I know. But please if anyone can help me out that be grand and very very much appreciated.
Thank you
Old 01-12-2016, 02:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1988 Honda Accord LX Sedan TRANNY HELP PLEASE

If you lost oil at trans and on top of that your 1st gear got stuck is most likely that you warped trans gears due to no oil lubrication.needs rebuild.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If the damage is severe, there will be many parts that aren't reusable or available new. Honda is sold out of all gears and many other parts are either unavailable or prohibitively expensive. Your best bet may be to get an imported transmission or a used one from the junkyard. Manual Accords are hard to find but many Preludes have the same engine and transmission as the Accord.

I happen to have four Accord manual transmissions. I'm gathering Honda transmissions to start a rebuilding service.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:39 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by baller status
If the damage is severe, there will be many parts that aren't reusable or available new. Honda is sold out of all gears and many other parts are either unavailable or prohibitively expensive. Your best bet may be to get an imported transmission or a used one from the junkyard. Manual Accords are hard to find but many Preludes have the same engine and transmission as the Accord.

I happen to have four Accord manual transmissions. I'm gathering Honda transmissions to start a rebuilding service.
What would you charge for one? And are you near me? If so would you put it in and for how much?
Old 01-12-2016, 06:42 PM
Trial User

[QUOTE=George024;50716295]If you lost oil at trans and on top of that your 1st gear got stuck is most likely that you warped trans gears due to no oil lubrication.needs rebuild.[/QUOTE

Thank you for the input.