Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

why are ignition coils going out on hondas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: why are ignition coils going out on hondas?

little helpful info for you guys could be what ive been told...

worn out plug wires, worn out cap, worn out rotor, or just flat out worn out plugs all increase the resistance in the ignition system. cruising around with worn out ****, will kill your coil, or any coil in general. the cop designs is what ive seen more of, lots of audis, fords, and vw's with some others thrown in there. so basically keeping the plugs fresh, or other ignition components fresh would def. help with coil life. plus, **** just goes bad, it happens.

hope this kind of helps lol
Old 03-16-2011, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by g230sport
little helpful info for you guys could be what ive been told...

worn out plug wires, worn out cap, worn out rotor, or just flat out worn out plugs all increase the resistance in the ignition system. cruising around with worn out ****, will kill your coil, or any coil in general. the cop designs is what ive seen more of, lots of audis, fords, and vw's with some others thrown in there. so basically keeping the plugs fresh, or other ignition components fresh would def. help with coil life. plus, **** just goes bad, it happens.

hope this kind of helps lol
QFT
Old 03-16-2011, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be right--^
Old 12-01-2012, 10:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Me I have seen and changed about 50 honda ignition coils that have completly failing or just failing a lil bit and turn out of spec 0.6 to 0.8(ohm)!!We all know that with a vtec honda motor when your doing a motor compression test...
the ign coil will immediatly burn if you didnt unplug the distributor...

Also if you have a honda motor vtec with a non vtec distributor the ign coil inside will burn within 15-30 min or has soon has you start reving high rpm...then low idle/lots smoke commign out of tail pipe/loss of power and flat spot..that what you get when your coilis out of spec 0.9 ohm instead of 0.6 to 0.8 ohm

Also has soon has your coil getting outr of spec (1+ ohm instead of the spec 0.6 to 0.8 ohm)...the car dont want to start or is starting then dying!!!

I wont start to go out subject and say that other brand of car have coils that have failed at 20k miles with the car still on waranty!!!

1 thing is sure my Integra b18b not vtec last 500 000 kms and I did like 10 compression test without unpluging the distributor and my coil never fail!!!

the one man on a million who know plz help..others dont go out subject plz

HERE MY VERY RARE PROBLEM ON A GSR 2001 VTEC B18C1:

HERE MY PROBLEM:
My 2001 Integra Vtec Gsr with 100 000 kms start killing every coil within 1 day(Oem/cheap Oe/better then OEM high quality OE) when I rev pass 7000 rpm my coil completly fail or start failing a bit and then I cannot restart my car!!Wtf I tested every coil and they are all dead burnned out of spec 1+ohm??? wtf

My 2001 Gsr have no cel ecept for the 02 heater code p0135!!!
I have put brand new Engine to chassis ground!!!
Inspected the wires inside distributor and cleared the code p1381 undefinied code changing for an other icm ...every thing is fine!!!Why tha ******* coils keep failing????

WTF????
Tha man on a 100 million pro mechanic who know why honda vtec coil keep failling over and over non stop plz help

No out subject plz

Last edited by Aceracer; 12-02-2012 at 12:23 AM.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So no one here really know why vtec honda motor ignition coil start to fail over and over sudently one day just for fun???

What would cause the coil to fail out of spec????

An idiot with a électric teaser???

Plz tell me some one!!!!
Old 12-02-2012, 01:02 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 94EG8
The last hondas with a distributor and single coil are now all at least 10 years old, some of them are over 20 years old now, it's to be expected, these vehicles are being well past their expected end of life date/mileage. Aftermarket coils tend to be junk, most people don't want to spend the money on a new honda coil. It is what it is.
This says it all. Stop beating a dead horse. Jeez.

And over and over? Over exaggeration. I only had a coil go out on me once with all the Hondas I have ever owned. That was on a 92 Prelude and it never gave me issues again.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:42 PM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I think a lot (at least recently) of coils have gone bad on this site because of user error. In the past few weeks a lot if threads have come up with a similar story as this "started car with plug wire off now car won't start, wtf?" This will kill a coil very fast especially if its on the way out already.

Some reading (http://www.crxsi.com/info/ignition-s...ON-COILS.htm):

HOW AN IGNITION COIL WORKS

Inside every ignition coil are two sets of windings around a laminated or segmented iron core. The "primary" windings, which number a few hundred, are connected to the two external low voltage terminals on the coil. The positive (+) primary terminal connects to the ignition switch and battery while the negative (-) primary terminal connects to the ignition module which provides ground. The "secondary" windings, which have thousands of turns, are connected at one end to the primary positive terminal and the high voltage secondary output terminal in the center of the coil at the other end.
The ratio of secondary to primary windings is typically around 80 to one. The higher the ratio, the higher the potential output voltage of the coil. Performance ignition coils typically have a higher ratio than standard coils.
When the ignition module closes the coil primary circuit and provides a ground, current flows through the primary windings. This creates a strong magnetic field around the iron core and charges up the coil. It takes about 10 to 15 milliseconds for the magnetic field to reach maximum strength.
The ignition module then opens the coil's ground connection and turns the primary coil windings off. This causes the magnetic field to suddenly collapse. The energy stored in the magnetic field has to go somewhere so it induces a current in the coil's secondary windings. Depending on the ratio of turns of wire, this multiplies the voltage up to 100 times or more until there is enough voltage to fire the spark plug.

IGNITION COIL FAILURES

Ignition coils are very rugged and reliable, but can fail for a variety of reasons. Heat and vibration can damage the coil's windings and insulation causing shorts or opens in the primary or secondary windings. But the number one killer of ignition coils is voltage overload caused by bad spark plugs or plug wires.
If a spark plug or plug wire is open or has excessive resistance, the ignition coil's output voltage can rise to the point where it burns through the coil's internal insulation causing a short. The insulation in many coils can be damaged if output exceeds 35,000 volts. Once this happens, the coil's output voltage may drop causing ignition misfire when the engine is under load, or the coil may cease to put out any voltage preventing the engine from starting or running.
If a coil has battery voltage at its positive terminal and is being grounded on and off by the ignition module or circuit but is not producing a spark, the coil is defective and needs to be replaced.
TIP: If the ignition module has failed more than once, it may be due to a bad ignition coil. Internal arcing or shorts in a coil can overload and damage the circuitry inside the ignition module.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have new ngk wire and sprk plug with new cap/icm/rotor/seal on my 2001 b18c1 that keep burning coil...

Something is strange when I put a coil out of spec at 0.9 ohm that was burned by my GSR 2001 into my B18b 2001 the ecu give me the code p1399 and cel is flashing and car start no problem but have smoke and lots of flat spot!!!
But if i put the same coil who have been burned by my b18c1 2001 vtec with the out of spec 0.9 ohm the car dont start at all...

Only with a Batery booster pack the GSr start then low idle and die and dont start when he is warm...but GSR DONT TROW ANY CODE p1399???MAYBE THE GSR HAVE A DEFECT ECM??? I Still DONT UDERSTANG WHY THE **** MY LEATHER GSR 2001 60 miles BURN COIL..Why my vtec is receivng too high voltage??? defective ecu seem to be the only reason I inspected the entire distributor and with the same border line out of spec coil only the gsr ecu dont spit the code p1399 and flash the engine the check engine light!!!

Ill check and post later about it!!!
If Any body think its not the ECU plz tell me!!!!
300$ for that kind of ECM ****!!!!
Old 03-01-2013, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

When my Coil Blew in my D16A6 (after many years of no problems) It turned out that the seals in the valve cover was leaking oil into the spark plug holes, pooling up and causing the wire to short out and eventually blowing the coil in the Dizzy. not sure how/if this relates to other Honda motor series. hope this helps!

Last edited by Wagon_Man79; 03-10-2013 at 10:49 PM.