Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Why am I supposed to hate this motor?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why am I supposed to hate this motor?

F20B
197hp
145lb tq
7600 redline
Dohc VTEC
11:1 comp ratio
Close ratio LSD transmission
Made to race in a 2.0 Lt NA class
You can buy the whole swap for $1200-$1500
Motor tranny and ecu

These are ITR/k20a2 numbers.... For less than a d15b or b18b swap... $1200!?....
But nobody likes it... Why?
Old 08-12-2016, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Why am I supposed to hate this motor?

Because much of the top and bottom end are proprietary, and require, if we have to, overnight parts, from, ja-pan. (Or Europe) Valves, timing belt, ect. But this engine has iron cylinder sleeves, so you can use whatever pistons you want, hone the walls yourself, it's cheap to have bored a couple milimters, ect.

And that 7600rpm redline is deplorably conservative. IIRC these engines, if you can let them breathe, go up to 9000rpm no problems.
Old 08-12-2016, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Tachi
Because much of the top and bottom end are proprietary, and require, if we have to, overnight parts, from, ja-pan. (Or Europe) Valves, timing belt, ect. But this engine has iron cylinder sleeves, so you can use whatever pistons you want, hone the walls yourself, it's cheap to have bored a couple milimters, ect.

And that 7600rpm redline is deplorably conservative. IIRC these engines, if you can let them breathe, go up to 9000rpm no problems.
Thank you for the reply sir, its for an all motor daily street steup. Would you recommend the motor or point me toward a more common choice?
Old 08-12-2016, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dualwielding
Thank you for the reply sir, its for an all motor daily street steup. Would you recommend the motor or point me toward a more common choice?
That depends. If it's going into a H2B car, then it would beasically be a big B-series. These engines weigh around 40lb more than a B-series, so stick the battery in the trunk and you have negated the weight gain, at least as far as chassis balance goes. However, if it goes into a heavier body like an Accord or a Prelude, generally it's generally agreed that they don't make as much low-end torque as the H22/H23AV. Indeed, my brother has a 9th gen SI sedan, which pretty much weighs as much as my 5th-gen Accord EX sedan. Even with a slightly tired H22 under the hood, I can still feel the torque difference between the K20 and the H22.

I'm also seeing that, if you're willing to put cams, valve springs, and a different intake manifold on it, or port the hell out of the stock IM, these engines can scream if you let them rev out.
Old 08-14-2016, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Tachi
That depends. If it's going into a H2B car, then it would beasically be a big B-series. These engines weigh around 40lb more than a B-series, so stick the battery in the trunk and you have negated the weight gain, at least as far as chassis balance goes. However, if it goes into a heavier body like an Accord or a Prelude, generally it's generally agreed that they don't make as much low-end torque as the H22/H23AV. Indeed, my brother has a 9th gen SI sedan, which pretty much weighs as much as my 5th-gen Accord EX sedan. Even with a slightly tired H22 under the hood, I can still feel the torque difference between the K20 and the H22.

I'm also seeing that, if you're willing to put cams, valve springs, and a different intake manifold on it, or port the hell out of the stock IM, these engines can scream if you let them rev out.

My thought was to go F20b with a t2t4 LSD tranny in an EK HB. I traded a track car project for a pretty clean 98 Hatch with PS and AC. id like to put in the most powerful factory motor on a budget and keep the car with AC and PS. the F20B appealed to me because of the price and power... H2B adds a 500-1500 conversion cost that moves my project cost close to k series range.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dualwielding
My thought was to go F20b with a t2t4 LSD tranny in an EK HB. I traded a track car project for a pretty clean 98 Hatch with PS and AC. id like to put in the most powerful factory motor on a budget and keep the car with AC and PS. the F20B appealed to me because of the price and power... H2B adds a 500-1500 conversion cost that moves my project cost close to k series range.
With the EK Civic, grab the intermediate shaft from a 4th-gen Accord MT, and use DA (90-93) Integra axles. At that point you just need mounts and it's a bolt-in affair with the t2t4.*** The downside is that most people report having the axles rub against the strut forks if they're lowered more than an inch. This is due to the outer CV cups being shallower on the DA axles, IIRC. You don't have to invest in swap axles, but it would require bodging together one set from two different oem sets. In that lightweight of a car, it will provide alot of oomph. To get the most out of it, still do some breathing mods; PLM header, 3" exhaust, Euro-R or K20 manifold, and bump redline to 8000.

***I forgot that the H/F family transmissions are cable shift, the Civics are linkage shift. You'll need an Accord or Prelude shifter assembly plus cables, and it will involve a bit of custom mounting under the center console.
Old 08-17-2016, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@Dualwielding, I'm right there with you. I've been saving up for the F20B swap for my 93 Hatch. From everything I read, I love this motor, but I also know there are very few specific upgrade parts for it. Sure, you can use the H22/H23 aftermarket cams and intake, but besides Bismoto pistons, you're left to stock or custom made. Heck, just the head gasket is $250. I'm getting close to purchase and I've really been reconsidering going with the H22 because the aftermarket is much stronger. Post up what you do and if you get the F20B before I do, let us know your thoughts.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by FrostyEG
@Dualwielding, I'm right there with you. I've been saving up for the F20B swap for my 93 Hatch. From everything I read, I love this motor, but I also know there are very few specific upgrade parts for it. Sure, you can use the H22/H23 aftermarket cams and intake, but besides Bismoto pistons, you're left to stock or custom made. Heck, just the head gasket is $250. I'm getting close to purchase and I've really been reconsidering going with the H22 because the aftermarket is much stronger. Post up what you do and if you get the F20B before I do, let us know your thoughts.
11:1 is already high for a street build and approaches the limits of tuning with 94 octane, and likely IS the limit on 91. Head gaskets...well, lets be honest, who (easily) blows a head gasket with NA tuning? And if you're bolting a turbo on, you can shell out for a spare HG or two. As long as the bottom end is fresh, I really don't think there is any reason not to buy one and build the head a bit, especially for a Civic.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by FrostyEG
It will be awhile before i pull the trigger on this im in the middle of another project at the moment but, I'd like to see what you do so let me know when you make your thread