Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Tune up, Toyota 4Runner

Old 01-03-2007, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tune up, Toyota 4Runner

Yeah, I had/have to do some basic **** on my Mom's 4runner.

The guy recommended Denso plugs and said they're OEM Toyota... (which I'm not sure about, but whatever, they didn't have NGK's)...they're still good plugs, right? And I think she said they had autolite plug wires w/ lifetime warranty. I'm not worried much about the wires, it's the plugs. The guy recommended that she buy electrostatic grease. The problem with her car is simply the CEL comes on when it's raining & she's driving (got wires...? ) as a soft code. Haha.

No as we all know electrostatic grease makes a better conductor..but on brand new plugs, is it necessary?

I've never heard of putting it on brand new plugs, what's the deal with that? Just some guy blowin smoke, or is there some truth to it?

Woulda changed the coil too but I'm not sure if that car uses a rotor and cap or a coilpack w/o actually popping the hood so I told her to hold off on that (not to mention it's definitely the wires, anyways).

Any info on that would be great, thx .

BTW: I posted this in the tech/misc. forum b/c obviously it's not a Honda.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Tune up, Toyota 4Runner (Syndacate)

Denso are just as good as NGK. Yes, Denso are OEM for newer Toyotas.

The grease you are referring to is di-electric grease. It is used on the plugs/wire interface to prevent the boot from baking to the plug. Get some and use it.

The CEL coming on while driving is most likely a misfire code. Changing the plugs are most like not going to fix it... if it was the plugs it should misfire regardless of weather. What year is the 4runner and what engine?
Old 01-03-2007, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Tune up, Toyota 4Runner (stumpyf4)

I am a Toyota Master tech. feel free to pm me with any questions. Run the Denso plugs they are oem for the 4runner NGK would work also. DO NOT put autolite wires on the car you wil run into problems later ngk or oem only.if it is a 3.4 the it will have 3 coil packs and 3 wires. Get a code and let me know what it is. If it is something common I will let you know what is going on. good luck
Old 01-04-2007, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tune up, Toyota 4Runner (stumpyf4)

Originally Posted by stumpyf4
Denso are just as good as NGK. Yes, Denso are OEM for newer Toyotas.

The grease you are referring to is di-electric grease. It is used on the plugs/wire interface to prevent the boot from baking to the plug. Get some and use it.

The CEL coming on while driving is most likely a misfire code. Changing the plugs are most like not going to fix it... if it was the plugs it should misfire regardless of weather. What year is the 4runner and what engine?
'98 V6.

It was the misfire code, she took it to autozone. Also, the CEL was a soft code that only came on in the rain...so obviously I thought wires.

I didn't use any di-electric grease, is that gonna expletive some **** up, now? After I did the tune up I took it for a spin and it seemed to be putting out like a bitch, though it wasn't humid, that'll be the true test.

Originally Posted by tSuperbike69
I am a Toyota Master tech. feel free to pm me with any questions. Run the Denso plugs they are oem for the 4runner NGK would work also. DO NOT put autolite wires on the car you wil run into problems later ngk or oem only.if it is a 3.4 the it will have 3 coil packs and 3 wires. Get a code and let me know what it is. If it is something common I will let you know what is going on. good luck
The code is a misfire code. expletive, about the autolite wires, b/c I used 'em, and they were installed. She was calling me from the store asking me. They had Bosch wires...and another brand I've never heard of, no NGK's...though the autolites were like 41 bux (which sounds in the ball park for good wires) and came with a lifetime warranty, so blah .

Whoops.

Yeah, I changed it last night ,3 coilpacks, 3 wires. Wow, I didn't know it was such a PAIN IN THE ******* *** to get to...

Sure as expletive wasn't some 15 minute tune up on a Honda. I used the same coil packs, but still had to remove them for the plugs, the ones on the coil pack side were cake with the intake removed, but on the other side, HOLY ****. On the left bank, the one up front was easy...then the middle one was semi-hard to get to...but the one in the back?? DAMMIT, That was ******* insanity. Can't get your hand in there to turn the extension b/c the ******* IM is RIGHT in the way and then there's the IM support which is RIGHT in the other way, finally I moved that hose that attaches to the IM support and was able to SEMI-get to it, but it still was a pain in the ******* ***.

expletive that 6th plug, expletive it hardcore, even getting the plug into it was a bitch, that one's a BITCH to get to. You know what, expletive it, I'ma take a picture of my hand after ******* with that one plug for awhile. That **** just pissed me off.

Rather nice setup though, if that 6th plug on the left bank was easier to get to that'd be a whole different story. Queer ****. And the hoses...holy hell, I don't even wanna go there, there was more hoses on that **** than VR6's I swapped out, I don't know WTF that **** was all about, it was some pretty confusing stuff...Blah

I was afraid to remove the IM for better access b/c there's like 50,000 hoses attached to it.

Yeah, so I didn't use that grease, what's the end result?

BLAH

Sorry, just went to the garbage & looked at the box. Denso plugs, STP filter (I'm fine with STP, even if others aren't), and Duralast plug wires. I'm not sure if that makes a difference, I'm not sure what I was thinking when I told her duralast was okay but as far as I know about duralast I only would buy a battery from them...so yeah...no autolite crap, just duralast crap. Or maybe I got it all wrong and the duralast wires are okay...(but probably not).

I'm more concerned about 2 things:
1) The adding of the di-electric grease (or lack there of)
2) The old spark plugs had one core nose and 1 electrode, the new ones had one core nose but 2 electrodes on a 180º offset. I'm not sure if that'll make a difference. They're all gapped to spec. which according to autozone (gave them a holla) is .043. And the gay densos she bought as far as the gap said: Gap to engine specifications - so I gapped 'em all properly to .043.

So these duralast wires...what's the deal? Did I expletive up badly? Medium? hardcore?

Old 01-04-2007, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The plugs should be a dual electrode so your ok there. As for the wires I see **** like this daily I just dont trust them. I am sure not all of them are crap or else there wouldnt be a market for them. You will probally be ok with them for now. But I really doubt that the wires are your problem on a 98 you shouldnt have to change the factory wires till at least 100-150k If the light comes back get me a code ad let me knw what number it is. Good luck and I hope its fixed
Old 01-04-2007, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tune up, Toyota 4Runner (tSuperbike69)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tSuperbike69 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The plugs should be a dual electrode so your ok there. As for the wires I see **** like this daily I just dont trust them. I am sure not all of them are crap or else there wouldnt be a market for them. You will probally be ok with them for now. But I really doubt that the wires are your problem on a 98 you shouldnt have to change the factory wires till at least 100-150k If the light comes back get me a code ad let me knw what number it is. Good luck and I hope its fixed </TD></TR></TABLE>

I live in NY. Wires don't last like they usually do in other states.

I just had to replace the wires on my '01 GTI VR6 and need to do the same on my '00 Jetta.

It gets very hot then very cold here so the wires contract/expand and **** and crack very frequently.

You don't get the ridiculously long usage out of them that you get in Florida or Cali or some ****. 150 on the same wires is just stupid talk in NY.

I hope it's fixed too. Not my car though (mom's). I'll tell her if the code comes back and she gets it checked for them to tell her what the number is.

Seeing as it's a soft code (went away when she shut the car off) yet the car is OBD-II and has a rather higher end electronic system - would the soft codes still be stored in memory?
Old 01-07-2007, 04:48 PM
vestalfootball72

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I live in NY. Wires don't last like they usually do in other states.

I just had to replace the wires on my '01 GTI VR6 and need to do the same on my '00 Jetta.

It gets very hot then very cold here so the wires contract/expand and **** and crack very frequently.

You don't get the ridiculously long usage out of them that you get in Florida or Cali or some ****. 150 on the same wires is just stupid talk in NY.

I hope it's fixed too. Not my car though (mom's). I'll tell her if the code comes back and she gets it checked for them to tell her what the number is.

Seeing as it's a soft code (went away when she shut the car off) yet the car is OBD-II and has a rather higher end electronic system - would the soft codes still be stored in memory?</TD></TR></TABLE>

how many cars do you have
Old 01-08-2007, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tune up, Toyota 4Runner (vestalfootball72)

Originally Posted by vestalfootball72

how many cars do you have
My ex g/f's (wasn't ex g/f at the time) mom gave me a 5sp 1996 eclipse GSX, that was my first car. I put it into a ditch going 117, twisted the **** outta the frame.

I used the insurance money to buy a 5sp '94 Ford Probe w/ 77k on it (great deal IMO for the price I paid).

I worked and hoarded money and about a year and a half ago I purchases a 5sp '00 Jetta for 7000.

Shortly after I bought a '67 rolling camaro chassis in pretty damn good condition for 2k, guy wanted it out, he was moving, I was more than happy to take it off his hands.

I ran into a 5sp '01 Golf GTI VR6 about 4 months after I purchased the Jetta, through a friend for 7.5k. I sold the Jetta to my dad for 7.5k and bought the GTI.

I started a 509CI big block chevy V8 w/ a 4sp tranny around the same time I bought the GTI. I drove the GTI until winter.

When winter came, my probe had some difficulties in the winter (as in the inside would FREEZE over). My camaro was finished and dynoed out 530whp@527ft lbs tq. - It was too much of a pain in the *** to drive in the snow.

And since I had plans on selling the GTI I didn't want to drive it in the winter (they use a salt/sand combo which just tears the **** outta chassis in NY, makes things rust VERY fast). So I transfered the title on my dad's '90 benz 300E (the car he has before I sold him the Jetta) and drove that for the winter. That was the only automatic I ever had.

In winter I got stuck with the benz and blew the tranny trying to get unstuck...then came early spring, sold it, sold the probe around the same time (month or two later). Funny enough around the same time I got rid of that totaled GSX that was sitting in my yard for the longest time (didn't get any money out of it though, transport to the junkyard cost what they paid for it....

About 5 months ago I got hit up for street racing in the Camaro (vs a rich bastard who's daddy just bought him a WS6 trans-am and he thought he was hot **** by beating up on mid 90's accords 'n ****...) - roasted him before some cop investigating a domestic disturbance on the dead-end road we were racing on saw us. Camaro (both our cars) got impounded, luckily out of the 5 tickets I got (failure to keep right (I was in the left lane), reckless endangerment, speed imprudent and unreasonable for road conditions, failure to observe the posted speed limit (NY's tag for "speeding"), and endangering pedestrians or the general public, or some **** to that effect) I only got 3 points on my license on the charge of "failure to obey a traffic control device" (w00t w00t for good lawyers, though it cost me a fortune and my car still got impounded). Then I got banned from the VIN # (meaning I can never have that VIN # registered in my name again) and I'm on vehicular probation (meaning if I like, get a speeding ticket or another major moving violation I can have my license pulled very easily).

That was not too long before college, told my friend (who specializes in civics) I needed a reliable car (I didn't wanna take my GTI to college b/c nobody gives a expletive and it's a 10k dollar car and I don't want people opening their doors into it and ****) so he sold me a 5sp '95 EX with 98k miles on it in mint condition (bone stock) and I've been driving that since.

Just sunk over 2k into the GTI (brand new entire AC system, new coilpack (500 bucks), plugs, wires, all that ****'s expensive for that car), gonna sell it come spring time (g2 replace the FL wheel bearing).

That was that. Changed the timing belt/water pump on the civic and it's been running pretty decent. Hit a deer with it which totaled it out (was far from totaled) but I bought it back, not too much damage, kinda got shafted by the bodyshop though. It's fixed, everything works, no ABS or AC but whatever, neither I really care about.

And that's my story....

I probably won't have it long enough to have the frame double checked by a pro shop (I don't think the bodyshop that I had it fixed at pulled the frame rail down all the way, b/c the rad support's not fitting right causing my headlight to not line up 'n ****). Though if I do decide to spend the 400 or so to have it tweaked by a pro shop maybe I will, though I doubt I'll have the car long enough to :-\.

EDIT:
PS: So in summary, I have now, a GTI, a civic, and that Jetta I sold my dad is still a part of me .
Old 01-08-2007, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So back to my Mom's Toyota

Is it really that big a deal that I didn't spray the di-electric grease on it?
Old 01-08-2007, 07:00 AM
vestalfootball72

Originally Posted by Syndacate
My ex g/f's (wasn't ex g/f at the time) mom gave me a 5sp 1996 eclipse GSX, that was my first car. I put it into a ditch going 117, twisted the **** outta the frame.

I used the insurance money to buy a 5sp '94 Ford Probe w/ 77k on it (great deal IMO for the price I paid).

I worked and hoarded money and about a year and a half ago I purchases a 5sp '00 Jetta for 7000.

Shortly after I bought a '67 rolling camaro chassis in pretty damn good condition for 2k, guy wanted it out, he was moving, I was more than happy to take it off his hands.

I ran into a 5sp '01 Golf GTI VR6 about 4 months after I purchased the Jetta, through a friend for 7.5k. I sold the Jetta to my dad for 7.5k and bought the GTI.

I started a 509CI big block chevy V8 w/ a 4sp tranny around the same time I bought the GTI. I drove the GTI until winter.

When winter came, my probe had some difficulties in the winter (as in the inside would FREEZE over). My camaro was finished and dynoed out 530whp@527ft lbs tq. - It was too much of a pain in the *** to drive in the snow.

And since I had plans on selling the GTI I didn't want to drive it in the winter (they use a salt/sand combo which just tears the **** outta chassis in NY, makes things rust VERY fast). So I transfered the title on my dad's '90 benz 300E (the car he has before I sold him the Jetta) and drove that for the winter. That was the only automatic I ever had.

In winter I got stuck with the benz and blew the tranny trying to get unstuck...then came early spring, sold it, sold the probe around the same time (month or two later). Funny enough around the same time I got rid of that totaled GSX that was sitting in my yard for the longest time (didn't get any money out of it though, transport to the junkyard cost what they paid for it....

About 5 months ago I got hit up for street racing in the Camaro (vs a rich bastard who's daddy just bought him a WS6 trans-am and he thought he was hot **** by beating up on mid 90's accords 'n ****...) - roasted him before some cop investigating a domestic disturbance on the dead-end road we were racing on saw us. Camaro (both our cars) got impounded, luckily out of the 5 tickets I got (failure to keep right (I was in the left lane), reckless endangerment, speed imprudent and unreasonable for road conditions, failure to observe the posted speed limit (NY's tag for "speeding"), and endangering pedestrians or the general public, or some **** to that effect) I only got 3 points on my license on the charge of "failure to obey a traffic control device" (w00t w00t for good lawyers, though it cost me a fortune and my car still got impounded). Then I got banned from the VIN # (meaning I can never have that VIN # registered in my name again) and I'm on vehicular probation (meaning if I like, get a speeding ticket or another major moving violation I can have my license pulled very easily).

That was not too long before college, told my friend (who specializes in civics) I needed a reliable car (I didn't wanna take my GTI to college b/c nobody gives a expletive and it's a 10k dollar car and I don't want people opening their doors into it and ****) so he sold me a 5sp '95 EX with 98k miles on it in mint condition (bone stock) and I've been driving that since.

Just sunk over 2k into the GTI (brand new entire AC system, new coilpack (500 bucks), plugs, wires, all that ****'s expensive for that car), gonna sell it come spring time (g2 replace the FL wheel bearing).

That was that. Changed the timing belt/water pump on the civic and it's been running pretty decent. Hit a deer with it which totaled it out (was far from totaled) but I bought it back, not too much damage, kinda got shafted by the bodyshop though. It's fixed, everything works, no ABS or AC but whatever, neither I really care about.

And that's my story....

I probably won't have it long enough to have the frame double checked by a pro shop (I don't think the bodyshop that I had it fixed at pulled the frame rail down all the way, b/c the rad support's not fitting right causing my headlight to not line up 'n ****). Though if I do decide to spend the 400 or so to have it tweaked by a pro shop maybe I will, though I doubt I'll have the car long enough to :-\.

EDIT:
PS: So in summary, I have now, a GTI, a civic, and that Jetta I sold my dad is still a part of me .

ballin man haha
Old 01-08-2007, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tune up, Toyota 4Runner (vestalfootball72)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vestalfootball72 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

ballin man haha </TD></TR></TABLE>