Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Troubleshooting: B18A/B - Zero combustion in cylinders

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Troubleshooting: B18A/B - Zero combustion in cylinders

Hey everyone. Hoping that someone can help me out here. Just put my motor back together. It cranked and fired before pulling the head off (low compression in cylinder). Anyways, put it all together, now it cranks but I have zero combustion in any cylinder.
- fuel pump primes at key on
-fuel pressure about 40psi
- smell fuel on spark plug and plug is wet
- getting spark to plugs (tested each, then tested 2 at a time)
- new plug wires
- dizzy pos to neg reads 0.9 Ohms
- dizzy neg to coil reads 16.83 kOhms
- checked that relays and main relay click at key on
- checked all fuses are good
- checked my grounds are connected
- checked the injector plugs/clips are connected

but getting absolutely no combustion when trying to start.

Has anyone run into this before? Or know what would cause it? Ive never had it where there was nothing at all.
I’ve looked over all writing connections a couple times and don’t see anything not connected, but maybe I missed something?
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!
- Matt
Old 09-12-2018, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default re: Troubleshooting: B18A/B - Zero combustion in cylinders

I'm guessing the timing belt is set incorrectly.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by shipo
I'm guessing the timing belt is set incorrectly.
Compression test would verify that valve/cam timing is off. but really it's not much more work to get it apart and check the timing. so probably skip the compression test.
Old 09-13-2018, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry it’s a 1995 Integra LS

this is timing belt currently

Old 09-13-2018, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hondamark35
Compression test would verify that valve/cam timing is off. but really it's not much more work to get it apart and check the timing. so probably skip the compression test.
Well, yes and no. If the cams were 180° off, your compression test will still be positive, but there will be no way the engine can run as the spark plug will fire near the end of the exhaust stroke.
Old 09-14-2018, 04:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Troubleshooting: B18A/B - Zero combustion in cylinders

Well, yes and no. If the cams were 180° off, your compression test will still be positive, but there will be no way the engine can run as the spark plug will fire near the end of the exhaust stroke.
distributor can only go on one way. so it can't really be 180° out. plug wires can be in the wrong place though.
Old 09-14-2018, 05:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

distributor can only go on one way. so it can't really be 180° out. plug wires can be in the wrong place though.
You missed my point, if the timing belt was put on with the cams out by 180°, you will still get good compression, but the distributor will fire near the end of the exhaust stroke.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You missed my point, if the timing belt was put on with the cams out by 180°, you will still get good compression, but the distributor will fire near the end of the exhaust stroke.
exhaust stroke is determined by the cam. the cam and the distributor only go together one way so are always in time with one another. the plug always fires on the compression stroke so long as the plug wire is in the right place.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I installed the cams with both arrows pointing upwards on the cam gears and 5mm punch pins through the cam cap holes into the cam holes to lock them. Correct me if I’m wrong but that’s TDC for cams.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

exhaust stroke is determined by the cam. the cam and the distributor only go together one way so are always in time with one another. the plug always fires on the compression stroke so long as the plug wire is in the right place.
You've missed the point once again. I'll give up now.
Old 09-14-2018, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

OP, why did you remove the head ??? Many times people burn a valve, send the head to a machine shop and they grind all of the valve seats and call it a "valve job". This means that the valve stem now sits up proud in the top of the head, and after re-installing the head on your block, all valves will hang open just a bit unless you re-adjust the valve lash.

shipo, there is no mechanical way to install a set of Honda "B" series camshafts 180' out with all cam and crank markings lining up. Now, if one were to force the offset tabs on the distributor shaft into the cam slots, I suppose you could have incorrect timing events. The easy way for the OP to dispel your concern is simply to align all timing marks to TDC with the cams UP, remove the distributor cap and see if the rotor button is pointing at the #1 position (bottom left when facing the distributor). If it was 180' out, it would be pointing at the #3 (upper right) position.
Old 09-15-2018, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had low compression in a cylinder (60psi) couldn’t find anything wrong with the head. Took it off, flipped it over, put water in the combustion area, didn’t leak at all so valves aren’t leaking, pulled piston to see if rings were worn, they looked alright. Put it all back together, sheared two can cap bolts in the head, and if already had another one helicoiled. So I had an extra B18 LS head, got new valve stem seals, pulled valves, seats, Springs, retainers, from the built head, and transferred it all over. Now I get nothing on startup. Thinking about it, it would’ve been smart to water or alcohol test the valves to make sure they don’t leak. But if they did, I should still get some sort of combustion right? Maybe they all leak and that is the problem.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

You cannot "water test" the valves/combustion chambers with the cams installed... and although all may be sealing just fine when the cylinder head is on the work bench, things will change once the head is installed and the camshafts are laid in and torqued down properly. You only need ONE valve in each cylinder to open slightly and you get zero compression... so double check your valve adjustment.