Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Strange electrical problem with horn. Pressing it makes seat belt and door ajar lights flash. ~Long

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2003, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange electrical problem with horn. Pressing it makes seat belt and door ajar lights flash. ~Long

Several months ago I went to start up my car and as soon as I did the horn came on (at full blast) and stayed on!! Everyone nearby came out to see what was going on, while I tried to locate the correct fuse. While I was in the car pulling fuses, it suddenly stopped—I only discovered later that the fuse was in the fuse box under the hood and that it had blown. Anyway, all the way home I had to listen to the seat belt light beep and watch both the seat belt light and door ajar light flash at me.

For weeks, I tried to narrow it down- I checked every single fuse- fine (didn’t check with an ohmmeter though), I checked every single wiring harness in the engine bay to see if any wires were touching- fine. I had it into the shop to have the alarm checked- they said it was fine. I pulled off the front bumper and checked the wiring to the horn- fine. I checked the tail light wiring- fine. The only wiring I believe I didn’t check is the wiring under the seats for the seat belt light indicator. It then dawned on me...a couple of days before this happened I had been lacing a leather steering wheel cover on the steering wheel, when my needle broke in half. I didn’t have another needle handy, so I had to let it go. The next morning I needed to drive to work (and forgot about the string hanging from the steering wheel cover that was 3/4 on) and just drove it like that. While I was driving, the string got caught in the steering wheel, and it was very tight, but I was able to free it (didn’t think anything of it at the time). But now I was thinking this is probably what was causing the problem! I pulled the steering wheel off the hub and put a new fuse in and sure enough the beeping stopped.

It was only temporary though. Soon, the flashing lights and beeping started again. I’ve come to realize since, that this is only an indication that the fuse is out and to replace it ASAP because that same fuse is also for the brake lights! Since then, I’ve had the steering wheel off numerous times, thinking something is making contact inside the steering wheel that shouldn’t be—but I haven’t been able to diagnose it. I took the whole steering wheel apart (and couldn’t get a piece back in properly), but the beeping and flashing persisted once I put it back on. For now, what I’ve done is this (because I need the fuse in for the brake lights!)- you know the little metal piece that sticks up from the hub that makes contact with the steering wheel so you can use the horn?--well, I bent it in so it doesn’t touch. Now when I’m driving there’s no beeping or flashing lights, but I don’t have a horn. And the whole point of me trying to fix this is so I can have a working horn. That’s what lead me to believe there was something wrong inside of the steering wheel.

I hope all of this makes sense. After reading all of this, what do you think? Is there anything that you suggested I check that you can rule out now?

Thanks for your time and any suggestions!