Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

rattling noise coming from the tranny

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rattling noise coming from the tranny

i just bought a new car and now its starting to make this rattling noise from the tranny. it rattles when its idling and when i switch gears and accelerate but after a certain rev the noise goes away. also when i'm stopped and i have the car in neutral it rattles but when i push down the clutch it stops making that noise. could it be my tranny? or could it be my throwout bearing, clutch, pressure plate or flywheel or maybe the fork is bent? as of right now the car shifts and drives fine and doesnt grind in any gear. but that dam noise is getting to me and i need to fix it. can someone please help me out
Old 06-13-2006, 08:41 PM

Default Re: rattling noise coming from the tranny (nightcivic13)

ttt
Old 06-14-2006, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try something to check it out.

Engine idling, tranny in neutral, clutch engaged (pedal NOT pressed). It should be making the noise.

Press down the clutch pedal very quickly. If it's a noisy throw-out bearing, the noise will go away instantly. If it's a bad bearing in the tranny, it'll take a second or 2 before it coasts to a stop.

Either way, you have to remove the tranny...
Old 06-14-2006, 09:04 AM

i just noticed that there is some slack between the slave cylinder and the fork. the guy that i bought the car from put a new tranny on and i think maybe he didnt pressurize the clutch line to good. can this be the reason. cause my clutch pedal is soft and i have to put the clutch pedal all the way to the floor to change gears.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:15 AM
...still your worst nightmare squared

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nightcivic13 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i just noticed that there is some slack between the slave cylinder and the fork. the guy that i bought the car from put a new tranny on and i think maybe he didnt pressurize the clutch line to good. can this be the reason. cause my clutch pedal is soft and i have to put the clutch pedal all the way to the floor to change gears.</TD></TR></TABLE>

the pivot ball that the fork sits on might have gone threw the fork. I have seen it happen before. It will rattle alot and it takes you pressing the pedal to the floor or fork is seperated from the fork. You have to drop the tranny sorry.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:07 PM

is there anyway to tell if its the ISB when i take the tranny off?
Old 06-14-2006, 02:17 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nightcivic13 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is there anyway to tell if its the ISB when i take the tranny off? </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 06-14-2006, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nightcivic13 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is there anyway to tell if its the ISB when i take the tranny off? </TD></TR></TABLE>Spin the T-O bearing, see if it makes noise.
Spin the input shaft, see if it makes noise.

Trouble is, when it's installed in the car, you can't spin one without the other.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nightcivic13 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i just noticed that there is some slack between the slave cylinder and the fork. the guy that i bought the car from put a new tranny on and i think maybe he didnt pressurize the clutch line to good. can this be the reason. cause my clutch pedal is soft and i have to put the clutch pedal all the way to the floor to change gears.</TD></TR></TABLE>I think there should be some kind of spring inside the slave cylinder, always pushing lightly against the fork. If that's missing, it would explain a lot...