Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Radiator Fan Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator Fan Problem

Hey guys. One summer day in my 93 delsol, it over heated, so I replaced the thermo stat, still over heated... then i noticed the fan wasent turning on. So to fix the problem for a period of time I just hooked to to a switch. Now I dont like it anymore, I want to have the fan the way it should be hooked up (to turn on when the ecu tells it to turn on). I talked to a couple people and they said to check the fan relay, if i replace the realy, how to I wire the fan back to the way it should be wired?
Old 12-02-2011, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Radiator Fan Problem

I hope you payed attention to where you cut wires for your switch
Old 12-02-2011, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I dident cut any wires
Old 12-02-2011, 04:49 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Pretty sure your rad fan is controlled by the ECT switch, it supplies a ground to the rad fan relay, the rad fan relay supplies either power or ground to the rad fan.

Sorry I do not have a 93 DelSol wiring diagram.

How did you wire the switch to turn on the rad fan?

Even if you did not cut ant wires you must at least have cut into a wire, what does the switch supply, power or ground? 94
Old 12-02-2011, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fcm
Pretty sure your rad fan is controlled by the ECT switch, it supplies a ground to the rad fan relay, the rad fan relay supplies either power or ground to the rad fan.

Sorry I do not have a 93 DelSol wiring diagram.

How did you wire the switch to turn on the rad fan?

Even if you did not cut ant wires you must at least have cut into a wire, what does the switch supply, power or ground? 94
Its a lot to explain but here I go.! When I bought the car the fan was not wired up the way it should. It was hook up some weird way, and idk where the wire goes. Sice the fan didn't work (yes sorry i did cut a wire) i cut that wire and just wired up a toggle with using a 12v power source for the ciggy light. I really hope I can get it back to (factory) the way it should. I found this link for OBD1 ECU pinouts <http://www.ff-squad.com/technet/wiring.obd1.htm> Look at (A12) is that the right wires that sends the signal to the fan pug. And also where is the radiator fan relay located.?
Old 12-02-2011, 11:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

on my 92 hatch the fan relay is in the under hood fuse block
Old 12-04-2011, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Egpimpin
on my 92 hatch the fan relay is in the under hood fuse block
Ok.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:26 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Sorry, i do not have a wiring diagram for a 93 DelSol but if it is like other Honda/Acura of that time, it is the ECT switch that controls the rad gfan relay that in turn controls the rad fan, the ECU/ECM is also connected to the relay, I beleave it is an input so when A/C turns on rad fan and A/C condensor fan turns on and the "signal" to ECU/ECM is to idle up the engine for the extra load of the A/C compressor.

I will check tomorrow at work for a wiring diagram of the rad fan circuit on a 93 DelSol.

The rad fan relay is located in engine bay fuse box.
The ECT switch is the 2wire sensor at the thermostat housing, unplug it and with the ign. switch on jump the two leads in the plug with a paper clip, you should hear the rad fan relay click, if so, rad fan circuit is working.

What wire, [color] was cut/cut into and where was that done? 94
Old 12-05-2011, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fcm
Sorry, i do not have a wiring diagram for a 93 DelSol but if it is like other Honda/Acura of that time, it is the ECT switch that controls the rad gfan relay that in turn controls the rad fan, the ECU/ECM is also connected to the relay, I beleave it is an input so when A/C turns on rad fan and A/C condensor fan turns on and the "signal" to ECU/ECM is to idle up the engine for the extra load of the A/C compressor.

I will check tomorrow at work for a wiring diagram of the rad fan circuit on a 93 DelSol.

The rad fan relay is located in engine bay fuse box.
The ECT switch is the 2wire sensor at the thermostat housing, unplug it and with the ign. switch on jump the two leads in the plug with a paper clip, you should hear the rad fan relay click, if so, rad fan circuit is working.

Ok. Thanks. That would be great if you can get that. If you can find you exactly what color wires come from the ECU which is the fan signal that would be great too! This is what I found...
http://www.ff-squad.com/technet/wiring.obd1.htm
Connector A12 yellow/green
Connector D13 red/white or yellow blue this correct, my ecu is P28 with a OBD1 engine harness.

And what do you mean by this:
Old 12-05-2011, 04:09 PM
fcm
Old Fart

On my Haynes wiring diagram 94-97 Integra the D13-ECT, ECT sensor red/white is the same as the linked ECU/ECM, the
A12-FANC is a green on my wiring diagram, to rad fan relay. 94
Old 12-05-2011, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fcm
On my Haynes wiring diagram 94-97 Integra the D13-ECT, ECT sensor red/white is the same as the linked ECU/ECM, the
A12-FANC is a green on my wiring diagram, to rad fan relay. 94
So which wire exactly goes to fan?
Old 12-06-2011, 11:39 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Originally Posted by clean_sol93
So which wire exactly goes to fan?
Neither one...
D13 is from the ECT sensor.
A12 goes to the rad fan relay.

The rad fan relays output goes to the fan, A12 controls the rad fan relay and the rad fan relay controls the rad fan. 94
Old 12-06-2011, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fcm
Neither one...
D13 is from the ECT sensor.
A12 goes to the rad fan relay.

The rad fan relays output goes to the fan, A12 controls the rad fan relay and the rad fan relay controls the rad fan. 94
So whatt wires do I hook in to. What color wires excatly goes to the pigtail for the fan? Sorry for so many questions, just really wanna get this back to normal. So the wire I need is the rad fan realy output. You know that color wire? And did you get a schematic?
Old 12-09-2011, 07:07 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Sorry, forgot all about you.

The rad fan black/red is a ground, [to chassis right front of engine bay].
The rad fan blue is the power, it is a black/red from the rad fan relay, color change is most likely at the plug to rad fan.

The ECT switch is a 2pin, the black to ground, the green, [changing to yellow/green] goes to rad fan relay and ECU/ECM, [A12].

Rad fan relay is in engine bay fuse box, it has two (2) fuses, fuse 33-15A, [hot at all times] engine bay fuse box, "cooling fan" and goes to #30 of relay.

The second fuse is fuse 13-7.5A, [hot in run] in under dash fuse box, it goes to #85 of relay.

To test circuit, unplug the rad fan relay and test for powers, one pin will be hot with ign. switch off and/or on, [fuse 33], a second pin will be hot only when ign.switch is on, [fuse 13].
One of the other pins will have continuity to the rad fans power lead, [red/black changing to blue at rad fan.
The last pin will have continuity to the yellow/green at ECU/ECM, [A12] and the green at the ECT switch.

If the powers are at the rad fan relay and the rad fan is plugged in/connected you can use a paper clip to jump from the pin that is hot at all times, [fuse 33] to the pin that has continuity to the rad fans blue lead, rad fan will turn on, if so, that part of circuit is good, then plug the relay back in, turn ign. switch on and unplug the ECT switch and jump the plug, rad fan should turn on if circuit is good, if so it is a good bet the problem is the ECT switch, [if rad fan does not "normaly turn on". 94
Old 12-11-2011, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fcm
Sorry, forgot all about you.

The rad fan black/red is a ground, [to chassis right front of engine bay].
The rad fan blue is the power, it is a black/red from the rad fan relay, color change is most likely at the plug to rad fan.

The ECT switch is a 2pin, the black to ground, the green, [changing to yellow/green] goes to rad fan relay and ECU/ECM, [A12].

Rad fan relay is in engine bay fuse box, it has two (2) fuses, fuse 33-15A, [hot at all times] engine bay fuse box, "cooling fan" and goes to #30 of relay.

The second fuse is fuse 13-7.5A, [hot in run] in under dash fuse box, it goes to #85 of relay.

To test circuit, unplug the rad fan relay and test for powers, one pin will be hot with ign. switch off and/or on, [fuse 33], a second pin will be hot only when ign.switch is on, [fuse 13].
One of the other pins will have continuity to the rad fans power lead, [red/black changing to blue at rad fan.
The last pin will have continuity to the yellow/green at ECU/ECM, [A12] and the green at the ECT switch.

If the powers are at the rad fan relay and the rad fan is plugged in/connected you can use a paper clip to jump from the pin that is hot at all times, [fuse 33] to the pin that has continuity to the rad fans blue lead, rad fan will turn on, if so, that part of circuit is good, then plug the relay back in, turn ign. switch on and unplug the ECT switch and jump the plug, rad fan should turn on if circuit is good, if so it is a good bet the problem is the ECT switch, [if rad fan does not "normaly turn on". 94
ok sweet thanks man! ill try this out
Old 12-11-2011, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I will have to find the power wire for the fan, like I said when I got the car it was all messed up. I will try and trace the wire.