Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Oil pressure taking too long to build up?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pressure taking too long to build up?

Over the last several months the amount of time that the oil pressure light stays on during cold startup has increased gradually from 1-2 seconds to closer to 5 seconds. I was using Mobil 1 synthetic oil. I think it was 0w30.

I switched to a heavier 10w40 motor oil to see if it made any difference, but I did not notice any change.

Recently I hooked up an oil pressure gauge. During cold startup after letting the car sit overnight, the oil pressure remains at 0 psi for 3 to 5 seconds before rapidly increasing to 80 psi. After warming up the oil pressure drops down to 20 psi at idle like it should. So the oil pressure seems normal after the first five seconds but I am concerned about those first few seconds.

My questions are:
1)What is the normal amount of time before the pressure begins rising on a cold startup?
2)What might cause such a delay with otherwise normal oil pressure readings?

My engine is a stock JDM B16.

Modified by on2wheels at 11:42 AM 12/26/2007
Old 12-26-2007, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Oil pressure taking too long to build up? (on2wheels)

I don't know what would be considered normal, but I wouldn't like to wait more than 2 seconds for the pressure to build.

The delay might be due to a defective or non-existent anti-drainback valve in the oil filter.
Old 12-26-2007, 04:02 PM
aca

Default Re: Oil pressure taking too long to build up? (Perfectionist)

first try buying an OEM oil filter. im assuming there isnt any sludge in the engine.

you may have worn the oil pump out running thin oil. for relyability i would always use the recomended weight of oil. honda engineers are pretty smart folks, so you should trust them w/ maintanence procedures unless you know what to expect when you change something

that being said, the oil filter is alot cheaper than the pump so i would try it first

if that dont work, just dont rev it up for the first 5 seconds. it aint as bad as alot of people think it is. your engine isnt going to throw a rod. or at least chances arent in favor of it

let me put it into prespective. we had an old beater car that we used to push cars that wouldnt run at the shop. 1986 toyota. when we decided its life was over, we decided to scatter the engine. drained the oil out, then poored water through the engine. cranked it, put a pedal jack of the throttle held wide open. it ran for 10 minutes before anything happened.... it ran out of gas. we put gas in and cranked it up again. 6000 rpm for 15 more mins. when the engine died it was from over heating and locking up. not from scattering.

this car was 21 years old and had the crap beat out of it. it WAS nocking, but it never threw a rod. the cam still looks brand new right now.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:45 PM

Default Re: Oil pressure taking too long to build up? (Perfectionist)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Perfectionist &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't know what would be considered normal, but I wouldn't like to wait more than 2 seconds for the pressure to build.

The delay might be due to a defective or non-existent anti-drainback valve in the oil filter.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Assuming he changed his oil correctly, he changed his filter at the same time. So that's likely not the problem.

Maybe try Seafoam? (j/k)
Old 01-25-2008, 03:24 AM

Default Re: Oil pressure taking too long to build up? (Fiero)

change the oil pump or take your valve cover of and check valvetrain you might be able to tell if something isn't right cause in that amount of time with 0 psi of pressure i think the head be starving oil
Old 01-25-2008, 06:39 PM

Default Re: Oil pressure taking too long to build up? (dc2____R)

its going to take a few seconds to build up pressure on cold start up, but if ur concerned use a thinner wheightlike 5 20