Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

No start 92 civic, need help with diagnosis!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No start 92 civic, need help with diagnosis!

Thanks for taking time to read this and posting any help :-), No start on my 92 civic.
Car was running perfectly fine, I even had jumped my other car the previous day because its battery was dead, the next day I went out to start my civic and it keeps cranking over but will not run. So I started trying to diagnose. This is not necessarily the order I checked everything but I want to give a complete list. First I tried fuel

I started testing fuel by pulling off inlet hose to the fuel rail and turned the key forward to the on position and it spits fuel out of hose that goes to fuel rail and everytime I hear the fuel pump "?prime?". I also took off the intake and had someone spray starter fluid in the throttle body and it didnt start, I tried disconecting clips on the injector in case engine was flooded, I then pulled of fuel rail and my buddy held injectors in the fuel rail to see if all 4 were spraying.

Timing
Engine spins fine
Engine is at tdc
Dizzy was in proper timing and hasnt been moved

Then Spark
I disconected spark plug wires 1 at a time and put an old spark plug on the end and put an alligator clip wire to ground to see if i was getting spark and all 4 got sparked but i thought maybe it was a weak spark, so when my friend was helping me we tried one and he said he thought it was weak spark because the color look kind orangeish redish not a blue or white spark

I have a msd cap and rotor with an external msd blaster coil
I disconected the coil and tested it, the readings were primary test ?4ohms? Secondary test was 4.13?

Another friend said if i try starting it for 5-10 seconds and see if it throws a check engine code it may be a sighn that the dizzy may be bad, and I didnt get a check engine light when i was trying that but I checked to see if any codes came up code 16 which was an injector code but as i stated earlier i checked the fuel spray was fine, i checked codes again after i had switched ecu only thing that popped up was 21 wich is a vtec code wich i have had

I aslo have an extra ecu i switched ecus and that didnt work

Did a compression test, disconnected dizzy but not injectors, if that matters
Cyl 4 198
Cyl 3 198
Cyl 2 212
Cyl 1 212

If you guys have any info on what to test please let me know, thanks

Also specifically i was wondering can I rule out the Igniter/ICM since I get spark? Or if its on ots way out coild it be giving weak or intermittent spark?
Old 07-06-2016, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: No start 92 civic, need help with diagnosis!

What's your firing order?
Old 07-06-2016, 01:16 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: No start 92 civic, need help with diagnosis!

Did you check mechanical timing?

It does sound like a weak spark, try using an HEI spark tester, [$5-$15 at any auto parts store]. 94