Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Need help car won't start , cranks but wont turn

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 04:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help car won't start , cranks but wont turn

Ok so for starters my setup is a 1993 gsr swapped ej1 with bolt ons . I was doing a vacuum test on my car at school and I needed to rev to 2000 rpm , well magically when I needed to don that my vss became all screwy and my rpms started jumping so I hopped out to take a look at the wires and noticed they were frayed , reached in trying to adjust them to see if it may hold steady rpms and when I did my elbow arcd something and sparked me and shut the whole car off . So the troubleshooting began , looked at the distributor harness noticed a frayednwire underneath so I replaced only the harness .. That didn't work . So then I replaced the whole damn distributor and harness , that didn't work .. Oh yeah and I had already replaced the fuse that was blown not allowing the fuel pump to prime , so I went and got some gas threw it in there no start , had master techs at my school pulling out all the stops and not one could figure out the damn problem , we cleaned the **** out of my spark plugs after they were saturated in gas( from attempting to crank with no spark earlier) and even pulled each and every one for spark testing , I have spark I have fuel I have power so what the **** is left ? Oh yeah not to mention I checked the harness wires as well . Also checked all grounds and injectors as well as oil and fuel , I have a known s300p28 ecu from hamotorsports .. Car is obd1 , but basically I came here looking for some advice from people who are Honda experts not just general car experts because there is always tricks of the trade you learn when working on one certain car . Any help would be greatly appreciated , thank you .
Old 03-20-2013, 07:00 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: Need help car won't start , cranks but wont turn

If you have spark, [good spark] and you have fuel, [good fuel pressure] that leaves timing and compression.

Continuous failed start attempts, with fuel, can wash the cylinder walls, resulting in a loss of compression, test for that, if low a little oil in each cylinder and cranking with distributor and PGM-FI Main Relay unplugged/disabled, [no spark/no fuel] will "relube" the cylinder walls.

I would also check to confirm valve timing is correct, before engine is cranked again. 94
Old 03-20-2013, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like timing or compression to me as well.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I replaced the spark plugs this morning and cranked still the same , checked the timing and it was off 2 teeth , if it started before and ran fine could that still cause the no start ? Or do you believe it is a defective distributor from advance (took the short way) cuz I didn't have the money to get one from honda . Also I've done the oil in the cylinders already thing and the compression blew 245 all across . Also another weird thing when I do a spark test it sparks when first cranked then while cranking it stops sparking and it sparks once more when one stops cranking .
Old 03-20-2013, 11:24 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I assume you fixed the valve timing, it's not going to run if it skipped 2 teeth.

Intermittent spark is either the coil or ICM, possibly no power to distributor assembly.

Connect a test light to the black/yellow going to the distributor assembly, test for spark, when you lose spark, is the test light still on?

If so, try starting the engine and watch the tach, if tach needle does not bounce a little as your cranking, replace the ICM, if it does bounce, replace the coil. 94

Last edited by fcm; 03-20-2013 at 11:25 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-21-2013, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Turns out timing was the problem , got her fired up tonight .. Appreciate all the good advice