Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Minor problems starting. Help please.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 12:50 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Minor problems starting. Help please.

i have a 97 honda civic ex. bone stock. So this weekend i took apart the throttle body and cleaned it. including the iacv. took the fuel regulator off to inspect to see if it was dirty or anything wrong with it and also the purge solenoid i took apart and stared at it for a minute then reassembled it and reinstalled on vehicle. reset the ecu and the check engine light is still off. i have only driven it about 50 miles.

I just took my lunch break and went out to mess with my car a little bit more and it was having trouble starting almost like it was out of gas. it has been sitting in the sun all day in 105 degree weather. after a couple time of turning over it fired up but barely would run. it kept wanting to die but i wouldnt let it by giving it gas. once it warmed up a little bit it would idle at 1000 rpm i would raise the rpms by giving it gas to 3000 rpm and when i would release off the gas the car would go down to a 1000rpm then up to 1500rpm for 2-3 seconds then back down between 800-1000 rpms. any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Old 08-27-2012, 03:34 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Minor problems starting. Help please.

you think adjust idle screw may cure the problem?
Old 08-27-2012, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Of note. You weren't giving it "gas" you were in fact giving it air as the gas pedal is actually a throttle pedal that opens the throttle (your ecu gives it gas). I suspect you may solve your troubles with proper adjustment of the idle adjust screw. If that doesn't work try resetting the ecu during a hotter part of the day and let the ecu build initial maps from there. Then adjust idle slowly giving the ecu plenty of time to meter the adjustments. Obd2 cars are particularly insensitive to idle adjustments. You have to follow the procedures closely.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:57 AM
Trial User

cool thanks ill try it out today when it warms up outside. it only does it when i start it though.but its been two days since ive done the cleaning an its starting to get better. i think the car may just had to get use to being able to breath. it started up no problem this morning and idled at about 1200 cold the drops to about 8-9 which is normal i believe... still has a bit of vibration tho and the vibration is very tempermental...
Old 08-28-2012, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EG-B20vtec
Of note. You weren't giving it "gas" you were in fact giving it air as the gas pedal is actually a throttle pedal that opens the throttle (your ecu gives it gas).
And I thought the injectors and fuel pump gave it gas and the ecu just controls these items. huh.... learn something every day.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by johnjw
And I thought the injectors and fuel pump gave it gas and the ecu just controls these items. huh.... learn something every day.
Ultimately the ECU holds the fuel maps which the injectors must have in order to function. Sure, I concur that the fuel pump sends gas to the fuel rail and the injectors do make use of fuel that's provided by the pump however, neither are connected to the throttle pedal. Thus, further underlining my point that it is not a "gas pedal".

Unplug the ECU and see how far your injectors or fuel pump take you. I was just illustrating that the term "giving it gas" was incorrect in its usage. Just as "gas pedal" is.

Thanks for chiming in though.