Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Just went to the dyno help/opinions needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just went to the dyno help/opinions needed

Specs.
98 civic ex.
98 Stock JDM OBD2 LS Integra Motor
(Slight lope @ idle due to a missing hose off the intake mani. & t.b. = vacuum leak)
Stock OBD1 PR4 ECU
Password JDM Intake
Stock Header
No Cat
2.25" Straight Exhaust all the way to Magneflow Muffler

Help.....
Why am I so lean before 4500ish rpm?
You all can see how my HP. & Torque reflect the lean condition.
As the mixture becomes normal you can see torque & hp rise pretty fast.
See the bumpiness @ low RPMs??? My guy told me that's probably hesitation or something due to the lean condition. Expert advice please!!!!

Opinions....
Do any of you see why this could be happening or what can be done.
Would a simple FPR level this out?
Should I tune w/ uber, hondata, chrome, etc.?
Clean injectors?
New pump?

Stock LS motor should be @ what fuel pressure???
What is a good # to increase it to if I get an FPR???

Help or opinions appriciated!!!

Dyno Chart.....

Old 12-24-2006, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Just went to the dyno help/opinions needed (bjscivic)

You need to plug those vacuum leaks before you do anything else.
Old 12-24-2006, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Just went to the dyno help/opinions needed (Scott_Tucker)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Scott_Tucker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You need to plug those vacuum leaks before you do anything else.</TD></TR></TABLE>

X1000

personally i wouldn't take my car anywhere near a dyno until i'm fairly sure its runing at its optimum.

its a waste of money. "oh look, my car put down less thean ideal numbers because i was too lazy to fix a vaccum leak before hitting the rollers."

all you gotta do now is fix what you should have already fixed and then get nother dyno.

To answer your other questions, the stock fuel pressure is a little under 40 psi, and perfect for a near stock engine like this i wouldn't waste money on an fpr.
Old 12-24-2006, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just went to the dyno help/opinions needed (89s1)

The only reason I got the dyno done was cause I had the chance to for free then & only then.

Anybody else have any wise words of advice for me? Maybe an expert opinion or help. I know what I shouldn't have done. Now someone tell me what I should do. And yes I know about the vacuum leak.
Old 12-24-2006, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bjscivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The only reason I got the dyno done was cause I had the chance to for free then & only then.

Anybody else have any wise words of advice for me? Maybe an expert opinion or help. I know what I shouldn't have done. Now someone tell me what I should do. And yes I know about the vacuum leak.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You do realize the engine is going to run lean with a vacuum leak right? (I'm not trying to flame you, I just want to make sure). The proportion of the amount of air leaking compared to the amount of air that is actually passing through the throttle body is going to be higher at low RPM so it is going to have more of a leaning effect in the lower RPM range. How big is this vacuum leak anyway?
Old 12-24-2006, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just went to the dyno help/opinions needed (Scott_Tucker)

We just got the swap in so I haven't had a chance to do anything to get her running quite right yet. I took it down to the shop to show them what me & my boys did and they threw her up on the rollers so quick.

I know you wern't flamming me. I just knew someone would bring the vacuum leak up really really quick. I was just simply wondering if there might be MORE to it....something that I don't already know ya know.

The hose coming off the top of the t.b. is missing. Could someone tell me where this should connect to? There is also a small vacuum port thing on the back of the intake mani that doesn't have a hose connected.....it's a really small hose right next to where the brake booster plugs in....tip - my buddies usdm ls doesn't have this port like mine does. If any know where this could or should go I would love to know as well.
Old 12-24-2006, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the hose on the top of the tb goes to the charcoal canister, and if you dont have a charcoal canister, just plug it
Old 12-24-2006, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks man!!!

That's what I assumed. Just need some hose now.

As far as the tiny hose fitting on the back of the intake mani.....anyone know where that goes? As I've said...It's right next to Brake booster hose. note: this is a JDM B18b not the usdm motor that doesn't have this hose I want to know about. I should just be able to just plug this port as well ha???

Would y'all recommend to double check my idle speed & timing after plugging all these leaks up? I set timing & idle speed to what the motor's doing now. I can only suspect that as soon as I try to plug or fix these leaks, my motor will attempt to die. LoL
Old 12-24-2006, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no prob dude, always willing to help a fellow honda guy.

hell i roll down my window in traffic and yell my cell phone number to guys with searcing idle at stoplights, tell them i'll help them try to fix it. cuz its usually a free fix, and i'll look for nearly any excuse to get under another hood besides my own. only so much work i can do on my own. eventually it either runs right, or you have no money to add/fix things
Old 12-25-2006, 04:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks man.

I need all the help I can get w/ this as I know nothing about the air/vacuum system in my ride.
Old 12-25-2006, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok....so the hose on the back of the intake mani. that goes to wherever.....someone tell me where......it's the little hose fitting right next to where the brake booster plugs into...On my d16y8... (it was vacuum operated cruise control) that hose fitting went to the cruise control module (or whatever you call it)....on my jdm b18b I don't know what it goes to. I have no cruise control in my Civic anymore regardless.

- well I plugged this fitting and my rpms dropped WAY down. My car almost died. My guy at my local shop said I may have to adjust my idle speed and/or timing a little after I plug these hose fittings. I tinkered w/ the idle speed a little and got her to stay running for a little bit. Then took it out for a test drive. Every time I took my foot off the throttle at a stop, my rpms surged like crazy!!! Especially when my heat was on and my fan was all the way up.

- I have not plugged my t.b. hose to charcoal canister yet....or ran a hose yet. Could this have anything to do with why even though I plugged that back fitting it still doean't fix the prob. all the way?

Anybody able to give me some more tips.