Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

ignition problem but only when backing up

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2004, 12:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ignition problem but only when backing up

i had the car dyno tuned not long ago and tuner adviced me to install 8 heat range spark plug since i live in a very hot and humid climate place. seeing how other cars he tuned got good HP from an iridium spark plug, i installed a set of DENSO iridium 8 heat range plugs with MSD plug wires.

after a week, the car experienced terrible missing at idle and during acceleration from stop. i quickly hurried home and while backing up a steep driveway i could hear a different kind of engine sound. i don't know how to describe it but it doesn't sound like an engine. i open the hood and saw some smoke between the MSD blaster SS coil and distributor cap. i don't know where it came from but there's a stronger nasty burn smell on the distributor cap than the coil. i then put back the STOCK plug wires and a set of BKR7E-11 plugs and the car was back to normal.

the missing turned out to be the MSD plug wires(and i thought they were good) coz i put the iridium plugs back in and the car runs good and i don't see any smoke nor smell any burnt **** anymore under the hood when backing up the steep driveway at home.

i thought the problem was solved already but it came back again and guess what, it came back after backing up a slightly steeper parking space than our driveway at home. i didn't open the hood anymore but i'm sure there was alot of smoke under the hood coz i can smell the burning odor already upon coming out of the car.

i went to the tuner who worked on my engine and he suspects the MSD blaster coil is going bad due to age but what i don't understand is why only when backing up on a steep incline where i have to do it slowly since the car is lowered a bit and i got a mugen chin. if i back up on a straight road, i don't experience this...very wierd.

anybody experienced this before? is this the sign of MSD coil going bad?

here are the ignition mods:
-MSD 6A
-MSD Blaster SS Coil
-MSD wire used between coil and distributor cap
-Modified Distributor Cap
-Stock Plug wires
-Denso iridium spark plugs

any help will be appreciated.
Old 04-17-2004, 11:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: ignition problem but only when backing up (_Endless_)

anyone?