Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

How to calibrate a torque wrench?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to calibrate a torque wrench?

So I just bought an SK torque wrench on Ebay. Got it out of the box, and the micrometer scale doesn't match up like it looks like it's supposed to. For instance, the 0 mark lines up right in between the 50 and the 60 or any of the other whole numbers on the scale. I don't want to have to pay to ship it back and get another one if I can just calibrate it somehow.

Anyone know where I can take it to calibrate it? There are machines that do that, right? Should I just try to return it? I have friends with other, most likely accurate torque wrenches. Think it would be accurate to torque a bolt down with one of their wrenches, then start below the expected torque and slowly move up the scale with my wrench until it clicks and call it a day?
Old 11-30-2006, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How to calibrate a torque wrench? (GSaura)

If your friend's wrench is calibrated correctly, you could just put a bolt/nut combination between them and wrench the bolt in oposing directions until one or the other clicks. That would give you a reference point.

Or, you could put the 'socket' end of your wrench in a vice and hang a measured wheight off the handle one foot away to determine lb/ft torque. The difficult part is how to adjust the wrench itself to calibrate it.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How to calibrate a torque wrench? (GSaura)

I guess I'll take a bolt, double nut the threaded end and use both torque wrenches at the same time to calibrate it. Sounds like it'll be a pain in the ***, but probably better than dropping weights on my foot with the wrench in a vise. Dammit! I wish the stupid thing were ok straight from the factory. My Craftsman torque wrench is so much better... and cheaper. Do SK tools just suck or something?