Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

HELP NEEDED - and FAST (New Engine)

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2003, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP NEEDED - and FAST (New Engine)

Okay, this is probably going to be a long post anyway, so I'll skip to the chase. My Mechanic thinks that I may have valve clearance problems; he decided this after my engine is assembled and RUNNING. It's an F22B2 engine with Wiseco 11:1 pistons on Crower rods. The head was done by Tom at Portflow (so I know it's right) with a Ferrea valvetrain. I'm running a WEB cam .380/.370 and 216/230, nothing to wild. I'm using the standard Honda headgasket on an engine that hasn't been machined to my knowledge. He called me over to listen to the engine and tells me he thinks that he hears a valve hitting a piston! I can hear a little bit of piston slap from the forged slugs, but that's all I hear. The car idles and revs fine.

Is there any way that I should have clearance problems with this set up? If the valve were contacting the piston wouldn't I have already damaged something and caused the engine to run differently? If my mechanic thought that there might be clearance problems, I sure wish that he had addressed them before he started the engine, but I need to know what to do now.

Thanks for any help you can give.
Old 04-22-2003, 04:36 AM

^^^

Come on people help me out, I've got to write the check today.
Old 04-22-2003, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: take a look?

Can you get your hands on a borescope? Go in thru the sparkplug hole & take a look. If valves are hitting, you should see some marks.
Old 04-22-2003, 10:09 AM
Trial User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: take a look? (JimBlake)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JimBlake &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Can you get your hands on a borescope? Go in thru the sparkplug hole & take a look. If valves are hitting, you should see some marks.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

ditto
your compression will be off if you bent a valve already

you can take off your header to and visualy inspect to see if any of your exhaust valves are bent
Old 04-22-2003, 12:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: take a look? (JimBlake)

and make sure the head wasnt milled
Old 04-22-2003, 02:13 PM

Default Re: take a look? (hybridvteceg)

Okay, it looks like I'm doing the right things. We scoped the head and didn't see any telltale signs of contact, compression is fine. I know the head wasn't milled anymore than just clean-up; I told Tom that I was using the 11:1 pistons and I wanted to run on pump gas so I didn't want to raise the compression anymore. I also called Race Engineering and asked them if I should have any problems and they said that I shouldn't and recommendedways to check for clearance; they get a , make it

The engine quiets down alot after it warms up which leads me to believe that it's just the piston slap that I thought it was. I'm going to break it in real easy and then take it up to P1 for an SAFC install and some tuning.

Thanks for the help guys.