Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Engine transplant queries... NSX

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2003, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine transplant queries... NSX

Hi there everyone, I am a new member to this site.

I registered because you guys seem to know what you are talking about, and I have a question... You are going to like this one! (I hope...!)

IS IT POSSIBLE to transplant an R34 GT-R Nissan Skyline engine into an NSX??? I was wondering how hard it would be - if possible - to convert the NSX to full-time four wheel drive, with the RB26DETT engine... I know that the NSX is a mid engined, rear wheel drive car, but I am looking at doing the unbelievable - money is not an issue... PLEASE if anyone has any thoughts on this idea, let me know, and/or if you have better ideas, instead of this wacky combination, also could you please fill me in.

Thanks heaps,

Denizen
Old 09-09-2003, 12:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Engine transplant queries... NSX (denizen)

Well since money is not a problem then YES its possible, remember, thats if money really isnt a problem. How hard it would be? Well...It's not something you can do with simple hand tools in your back yard on the weekends... Even though money isnt a problem...Man its just a waste of money
Old 09-09-2003, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You can do it, but it would require the design and machining of many custom parts that would cost a lot of money. The end result would be a 4wd Acura NSX that would probably be a worse experience to drive than something that could be achieved with a fraction of the cost.

Basically, the only reason I could see anybody doing it is so they could say they have a 4wd Skyline powered NSX. The actual benefits of this could probably be replicated with a fraction of the cost.

The way I see it, having a 4wd Skyline powered NSX is the answer to the question that nobody asked.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Engine transplant queries... NSX (Lsos)

it is possible, but the vehicle would no longer handle like an NSX >> too many driveline and weight issues.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:51 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by denizen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hi there everyone, I am a new member to this site.

I registered because you guys seem to know what you are talking about, and I have a question... You are going to like this one! (I hope...!)

IS IT POSSIBLE to transplant an R34 GT-R Nissan Skyline engine into an NSX??? I was wondering how hard it would be - if possible - to convert the NSX to full-time four wheel drive, with the RB26DETT engine... I know that the NSX is a mid engined, rear wheel drive car, but I am looking at doing the unbelievable - money is not an issue... PLEASE if anyone has any thoughts on this idea, let me know, and/or if you have better ideas, instead of this wacky combination, also could you please fill me in.

Thanks heaps,

Denizen </TD></TR></TABLE>

It's not like the NSX motor is a slouch. Most people rip out motors because they are weak, and the new motor will be a world of difference compared to the motor that was ripped out. The NSX engine is a gem of an egnine, and on top of that it wouldnt be any faster with the skyline engine, in stock form that is. And you would also add on a few hundred pounds adding the 4wd system. IMO, I wouldn't even think about doing it.

And yes it's possible, anything is if you have enough money, but it woudn't be worth it.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

why do people come up with some lame *** swap like this no offense to the thread starter..
Old 09-09-2003, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (91tegrals)

sorry but why bother? why not start with a nissan sentra and put a skyline motor/drivetrain in it? putting a skyline motor/drivetrain into a NSX is like putting a Chevy v8 in a Honda. just not cool.....
Old 09-09-2003, 10:37 AM
New User

With the option of turboing the nsx there (since you obviously want a turbo), wouldn't that make more sense even if the swap is in fact "possible?"
Old 09-09-2003, 10:37 AM

Here is some info on the NSX incase you didn't see it already.
http://www.acura.com/models/nsx_specs_results.asp

I agree with alot of what the guys on here are saying. You could do that swap, but why would you? If you look at Honda's numbers on the NSX's hp, they are very close to what Nissan's numbers are on the Skyline's hp.
Old 09-09-2003, 05:32 PM

Default Okay, just so you know...

I have a 2002 NSX sitting in my garage, NO I am not just some dreamer....! I am seriously considering doing it merely because everywhere I have searched, I haven't seen it done... I am the kind of guy to do it just for that reason. NO, money is not a problem, but obviously you guys don't understand the meaning of that, sorry for you.
Does anyone sensible in here know anything about my query? If not, then why waste your time harrassing me when I am just another guy wanting to know if it can be done.

Obviously there would be a problem with weight issues, making a huge difference to handling...
So, what are some other options? I kinda like the idea of a turbo, but will the block handle it? I know all about dropping the compression ratio's, and that stuff, what else is nesseccary to ensure the motor is just as sweet with the extras?
I have done some internal work, and if I do go ahead with the turbo (maybe even twin sequential turbos) I will be looking at doing even more, as I want it to be something out of the ordinary, but still safe and reliable... I do love the fact that (with current extras - chip, exhaust, inlet, etc...) the Honda-power is more than comfortable to rev out to 10 gees.

Thanks anyway.

Denizen

Modified by denizen at 3:38 AM 9/10/2003
Old 09-09-2003, 06:04 PM
Lover

christmas is soon, just buy me acouple B18C5s and 2 or 3 EG shells with the amount of money your going to waste....

more power to you, if you get it to work
Old 09-09-2003, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Okay, just so you know... (denizen)

i noe dis is off topic..but wat do u do for a living and how old are you? juss curious...btw to stay ontopic...imo honda motors were built to be n/a...but if u really wanna turbo..i would go with a single turbo..u can run a bigger turbo instead of two small ones
Old 09-09-2003, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by denizen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a 2002 NSX sitting in my garage, NO I am not just some dreamer....! I am seriously considering doing it merely because everywhere I have searched, I haven't seen it done... I am the kind of guy to do it just for that reason. NO, money is not a problem, but obviously you guys don't understand the meaning of that, sorry for you.
Does anyone sensible in here know anything about my query? If not, then why waste your time harrassing me when I am just another guy wanting to know if it can be done.

Obviously there would be a problem with weight issues, making a huge difference to handling...
So, what are some other options? I kinda like the idea of a turbo, but will the block handle it? I know all about dropping the compression ratio's, and that stuff, what else is nesseccary to ensure the motor is just as sweet with the extras?
I have done some internal work, and if I do go ahead with the turbo (maybe even twin sequential turbos) I will be looking at doing even more, as I want it to be something out of the ordinary, but still safe and reliable... I do love the fact that (with current extras - chip, exhaust, inlet, etc...) the Honda-power is more than comfortable to rev out to 10 gees.

Thanks anyway.

Denizen

Modified by denizen at 3:38 AM 9/10/2003</TD></TR></TABLE>

the reason why nobody is giving u a striaght answer is because nobody has done it before. If you want to get appreciated for something unique, spend the money on the NSX motor that you have and create a NSX that is faster then any other thats currently out there. Putting in a skyline engine in MY opinion isnt really a possiblity. The engine would sit the wrong way and the 4wheel drive system wouldnt work.
Seems like your an enthusist, you'll have alot of fun modding your NSX. Just spend the time and research, like 1 turbo will make more power then 2 turbos.
Old 09-09-2003, 07:15 PM

Default Re: Okay, just so you know... (irev210)

From a pure "does it fit" point of view without opinions on if it is a good idea or not.

NSX is a transverse V6 sitting next to the transmission. Nissan is an inline 6 sitting in front of the transmission.

The main drive is the rear axle on the Nissan, but turned around for the NSX, it would be the front axle.

The Nissan has all sorts of electronically controlled functions such as steering and diff actuation. All are based on front engine and nose heavy weight distribution.

Basically the engine is too long to fit in back without removing structure in the back of the chassis and will also move the balance point of the car further back. The transmission would end up in the center console. No good place for the diff up front and would need to go where the front suspension and structure is now.

If you want a drag racer, it probably could be made to work, but handling would suffer a lot, balance would be poor. I doubt it would be any faster in a straight line than a Skyline with the same power.

The drag racers have turbo'd the NSX motor with good effect, but have found the aluminum block to be the limitation. It has more flex than an iron block so cannot take as much boost as something like the 300ZX TT motor.
Old 09-10-2003, 09:13 AM

Don't make it seem like what you are trying to do is sensible. You asked us for our opinions and we gave them to you. If you have that much money why not have both the skyline and the NSX?

Good luck