Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Transplant Queries... NSX

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2003, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Transplant Queries... NSX

Hi there everyone, I am a new member to this site.
I registered because you guys seem to know what you are talking about, and I have a question... You are going to like this one! (I hope...!)

IS IT POSSIBLE to transplant an R34 GT-R Nissan Skyline engine into an NSX??? I was wondering how hard it would be - if possible - to convert the NSX to full-time four wheel drive, with the RB26DETT engine... I know that the NSX is a mid engined, rear wheel drive car, but I am looking at doing the unbelievable - money is not an issue... PLEASE if anyone has any thoughts on this idea, let me know, and/or if you have better ideas, instead of this wacky combination, also could you please fill me in.

Thanks heaps,

Denizen
Old 09-09-2003, 04:29 AM

Default Re: Engine Transplant Queries... NSX (denizen)

go spend 50,000 on a nsx and try it
Old 09-09-2003, 04:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Engine Transplant Queries... NSX (h22 ef)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by h22 ef &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">go spend 50,000 on a nsx and try it</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL... I was thinking the same thing
Old 09-09-2003, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine Transplant Queries... NSX (VTECVillain)

Looking to do the unbelievable. How about crawl back in the hole you came from, or stop using your middle schools computers for something other than looking at cool cars.
Old 09-09-2003, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine Transplant Queries... NSX (naturalvx)

Come on Be Nice!
Old 09-09-2003, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you want to try it and you have the $$$$$$$$$ let me know my Dad is a TV repair man he has lots of tools.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine Transplant Queries... NSX (topspeed86)

How about a transplant into the A-Team van out front ?
Old 09-09-2003, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine Transplant Queries... NSX (topspeed86)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by topspeed86 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you want to try it and you have the $$$$$$$$$ let me know my Dad is a TV repair man he has lots of tools.</TD></TR></TABLE>

hahahahahaha
Old 09-09-2003, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine Transplant Queries... NSX (naturalvx)

The A-Team Van is sick Type R Wing on the roof, Wes if you ever want to borrow it let me know we rent it out for Partys, Prom Date's, Weddings all kinds of special occasions.
Old 09-09-2003, 05:22 PM

Default Okay, just so you know...

I have a 2002 NSX sitting in my garage, NO I am not just some dreamer....! I am seriously considering doing it merely because everywhere I have searched, I haven't seen it done... I am the kind of guy to do it just for that reason. NO, money is not a problem, but obviously you guys don't understand the meaning of that, sorry for you.
Does anyone sensible in here know anything about my query? If not, then why waste your time harrassing me when I am just another guy wanting to know if it can be done.

Obviously there would be a problem with weight issues, making a huge difference to handling...
So, what are some other options? I kinda like the idea of a turbo, but will the block handle it? I know all about dropping the compression ratio's, and that stuff, what else is nesseccary to ensure the motor is just as sweet with the extras?
I have done some internal work, and if I do go ahead with the turbo (maybe even twin sequential turbos) I will be looking at doing even more, as I want it to be something out of the ordinary, but still safe and reliable... I do love the fact that (with current extras - chip, exhaust, inlet, etc...) the Honda-power is more than comfortable to rev out to 10 gees.

Thanks anyway.

Denizen

Modified by denizen at 3:38 AM 9/10/2003
Old 09-09-2003, 06:24 PM

Default Re: Okay, just so you know... (denizen)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by denizen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a 2002 NSX sitting in my garage, NO I am not just some dreamer....! I am seriously considering doing it merely because everywhere I have searched, I haven't seen it done... I am the kind of guy to do it just for that reason. NO, money is not a problem, but obviously you guys don't understand the meaning of that, sorry for you.
Does anyone sensible in here know anything about my query? If not, then why waste your time harrassing me when I am just another guy wanting to know if it can be done.

Obviously there would be a problem with weight issues, making a huge difference to handling...
So, what are some other options? I kinda like the idea of a turbo, but will the block handle it? I know all about dropping the compression ratio's, and that stuff, what else is nesseccary to ensure the motor is just as sweet with the extras?
I have done some internal work, and if I do go ahead with the turbo (maybe even twin sequential turbos) I will be looking at doing even more, as I want it to be something out of the ordinary, but still safe and reliable... I do love the fact that (with current extras - chip, exhaust, inlet, etc...) the Honda-power is more than comfortable to rev out to 10 gees.

Thanks anyway.

Denizen

Modified by denizen at 3:11 AM 9/10/2003</TD></TR></TABLE>

OK i will entertain you stupid *** question. Lets say your really have an NSX. Which i doubtful because i could not fathom how you could further yourself enough in this world to buy an NSX yet not have the common sense to understand this is almost ****** impossible. Your asking to put another manufacturer's motor in an acura nsx. THEN make it 4wd....YOU would be the first to do this...therefore NOONE has any idea on how to help you. Not trying to be a dick but NOONE can help you
Old 09-09-2003, 06:52 PM

anything is doable with money. the car will probably have to sit a lot higher. i would defiitely modificed the nsx engine instead. if money is not an issue go to hy-tech and ask them to do a full custom-turbo thing i dunno much about nsx. but go to http://www.nsxprime.com and try asking over there. good luck
Old 09-11-2003, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (zad5)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zad5 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">anything is doable with money. the car will probably have to sit a lot higher. i would defiitely modificed the nsx engine instead. if money is not an issue go to hy-tech and ask them to do a full custom-turbo thing i dunno much about nsx. but go to http://www.nsxprime.com and try asking over there. good luck</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wow, a serious answer.

Do you guys remember that project EF civic with a Nsx motor awhile back (few years ago) in Turbo Magazine? It looked funny as hell, but the guy did it.

Of course EF project vs. 02 Nsx project differential costs are about 100k apart.

I guess if you have endless funds, try it just for kicks.

Btw, could you post pics of your 02 Nsx?
Old 09-11-2003, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Rhetoric)

ya ya... i mean.. over seas they put the RB26DETT into supras. so sure y not in an 02 nsx...

u already got ur nsx. now, just get the RB26DETT and start choppin away.

ps
lets see them pix.
Old 09-11-2003, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (hondaZvic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondaZvic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ya ya... i mean.. over seas they put the RB26DETT into supras. so sure y not in an 02 nsx...

u already got ur nsx. now, just get the RB26DETT and start choppin away.

ps
lets see them pix.</TD></TR></TABLE>
hahaha the MK4 and skylines are nearly identical. i could put a 2jz in my 240sx. **** would probably be easier than the RB25 im doing right now.

like i told him in his other thread, unless he has money litterally comming out of his ***, NO ITS NOT POSSIBLE. there is a good reason you have never seen it done. its VERY VERY VERY expensive and a waste of money.

there just isnt enough space in a NSX, its a MR drivetrain with an ALREADY cramped engine compartment. there is NO POSSIBLE WAY to put a rb26 in there without some very serious firewall relocation. i barley fit the rb25 in my 240 and the engine bay is huge.

give up the dream. its not possible.

Modified by Kamin at 4:40 PM 9/11/2003
Old 09-11-2003, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Kamin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kamin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
there is a good reason you have never seen it done. </TD></TR></TABLE>

money or maybe the nsx is already near perfect... naw.. couldnt be that... ehehhe
Old 09-11-2003, 04:31 PM

Default Hmmm thinking cap ON!

I have, since posting in here last, checked with my local Honda authorised dealer/garage, and come to the conclusion that you guys may be right... It would be way to difficult to transplant in the RB26, and so I am now thinking about turboing the NSX instead. My only question is, will the block handle it? This was the main reason I was looking at putting the renowned GTR engine in, but I think that idea would prove almost impossible...
Any ideas guys?

Denizen
Old 09-11-2003, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Hmmm thinking cap ON! (denizen)

you want to put a GTR engine in something, it needs to be a FR platform.
Old 09-11-2003, 06:45 PM

[QUOTE=denizen]I have a 2002 NSX sitting in my garage, NO I am not just some dreamer....! I am seriously considering doing it merely because everywhere I have searched, I haven't seen it done... I am the kind of guy to do it just for that reason. NO, money is not a problem, QUOTE]

ha....i doubt what you saying
Old 09-11-2003, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Why didn't u buy a gtr in the first place?

Post pics of your nsx.
Old 09-12-2003, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine Transplant Queries... NSX (SpdFrk)

I agree... the real question is:
why would you want to?
Just build the nsx block and do a cool twin turbo setup on it...

that would be more than enough car for 99% of the population...
Old 09-12-2003, 07:53 AM

There's so much wrong with everything your saying, I don't even know where to start..first of all, how old are you...12? Second, once you get your license, start researching...you'll be amazed how much knowledge, is out there. You say you want "TWIN sequential turbos" interesting...do you want twin turbos, or sequential turbos, or neither, since your an idiot.. You say you've done some internal work, but then say you've done "chip, exhaust, inlet" those are internal, and what the hell is an inlet. Stop clogging this board with nonsense, and go ride your powerwheels to school..Maybe you can get quad turbosuper chargerNOS on it.
Old 09-12-2003, 08:17 AM

Default Re: Okay, just so you know... (SleepyEG)

Old 09-12-2003, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Okay, just so you know... (skribblah)

whew!!!! who turned the heater on?
Old 09-13-2003, 10:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

As a previous NSX owner.. your asking for the impossible..

You would have to concider this.. the engine is in the Mid section with the tranny facing the Drivers side.. now with a Nissan RWD motor how could you fit the engine? Well theres using the front of the vehicle right? Well there is a problem height, you couldnt clear the hood and if you did raise the hood you couldnt see out the windshield..Plus the body construction will not allow it since now you went from a close to 50/50 weight to a 80/20 so performance is out the door. so say hello bent aluminum frame. Now the rear of the car.. You couldnt make it fit there either.. the engine would have to sit right at the beginning of the rear bumper to fit within the space allowed in the vehicle.
Then you got drivetrain components.. you couldnt clear the 4WD drive since the axles and driveshafts will not fit unless you raise the vehicle up 2" to clear the underbody.
So basically Impossible and for the $$$ go import a Skyline GTR for cheaper.

Now why would you ask a question in this board to people who you know will never believe you have an NSX&gt;. reason being like myself owning one you will never think of such weird question. It is one of the few cars that I would just leave alone and be happy with

Quick Reply: Engine Transplant Queries... NSX