Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

electrical problem... seems like alternator but its not HELP HELP HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electrical problem... seems like alternator but its not HELP HELP HELP

OK so i got a new engine in my car the other day( 92 civic DX) and took it out that night. About 5 minutes into the ride i got a CEL but didnt hear/notice anything. When i went to drive it again it started up with no CEL, but after i started driving i noticed the lights were dim, dash lights were dim radio cut out, but still no CEL or battery light. Since i was nowhere near my house i had to keep driving.... then my speedo cut out so i pulled over just so i wasnt stranded on the thruway or nething. had the car towed home ( for free)

i assumed it was my alternator... car ran for a while then power started to drain. I replaced the alternator today and started it up ion my driveway n let it run After about 5 minutes the CEL light came on AGAIN. I turned the car off jumped the ECU harness to get the code... put the car to the ON position and no code shows up. Start the car again... CEL pops up again. I had the car running for like a half hour in my driveway with the head lights on n no problems but the light was staying on

just to be safe i took my old alternator that came off the car to autozone to have them test it incase the engine light wasnt alternator related. Old alternator is still good!!

WTFs wrong with my car?!?!?!

clif notes**
~put in new engine D15...
~Car ran for a while then CEL shows up
~car lights start dimming and losing power ( figured alternator)
~replaced alternator
~start car and a few minutes later CEL shows up
~when attempting to check the code the light doesnt show
~had old alt checked and it was still good
~ car starts up n runs fine in my driveway but i dont want to drive it so i dont get stranded again

any ideas??
Old 02-01-2006, 04:56 PM
Brrraaaap!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: electrical problem... seems like alternator but its not HELP HELP HELP (Eghatch93)

Ok if you did any wiring, which Im sure that you did, check ALL OF IT. More then likely you forgot the thermostat ground or the valvecover ground isnt connected to the body of the car. Start the car again and let it throw the CEL and you'll figure out prolly why your car is running crappy. Make sure that your batt. and alt. connections are secure, Ive had my car do the same things you describe when my neg. termanal connector was loose.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i didnt have to do any wiring.. it was more of an engine replacement then swap... same engine as before

BUT my neg battery terminaly MIGHT be loose

ill check that and get back to ya