Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

d16y7 problem after driving in rain

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 08:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default d16y7 problem after driving in rain

I don't have a CAI / but I did hit a small puddle on my way home from starbucks this morning ... and halfway home ... my car started spuddering from 900 rpms [idle] all the way up in every gear .. and along with the spuddering as you can guess it's lagging like crazy .. the check engine light is blinking ... and when I was at a stop like / oiut of gear / it was starting to drop below 900 rpms ... when I got home I popp'd the hood and opened my stock intake and saw a small amount of water around the edge ... I took out the air filter and checked to see if it was wet and it wasn't ... my guess is that a small amount of water got in ... I didn't see any cracks and of course no holes in the block ... right now it's just sitting outside of my house ... what are the chances this will just go away? :] any ideas of whats happening?

*** edit ***

Well he was right about that ... I jumped the ECU and got code 72 that means "Cylinder 2 Misfire or a Random Misfire a condition is present that is creating a cylinder misfire"

And I'm still lost! WhooHoo!

any little bit of info will help ;(

*** ok update ***

I just went out to try and start my car and I turned it on, it almost died rev'd it up and it idles fine .... when I rev slow it doesn't sound funny at all, but if you mash on it it climbs REALLY SLOW and sputters like crazy

I checked the distributor cap and it's dry no water on the head I made sure all the spark plug wires are pushed down and not loose ... I don't see any water any where but a small amount under the airfilter [stock intake] right before the TB ... it looks like I might have some white smoke coming out of the exhaust ... and now the check engine light is just on / not blinking or anything

sorry I keep posting like this but I only have 5 posts a day for now ;]

But yeah ... I just started up my car and it sputtered alittle at first and was hard to start and the first few tiems I rev'd it up it sputtered but then started sounding ok ... but the check engine light is still on ;(

Modified by ekx2 at 11:39 AM 11/1/2005
Old 11-01-2005, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: d16y7 problem after driving in rain (ekx2)

Blinking check engine light = misfire. Check for water in distributor cap or in the plug wells in the head. I don't know what kind of puddle it would take to get water all over the place like that, but just make sure everything is clean, dry and secure.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: d16y7 problem after driving in rain (drdisco69)

it will also misfire from lost compresion due to bent valves...not likely but chekc the compresion and cam timing