Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Camshaft holder plate. NEED HELP ASAP.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camshaft holder plate. NEED HELP ASAP.

Was serviceing my engine before i do my swap. Replacing cam seal. Removed cam holder plates. Was skeptical on Tq sequence. Eneded up snapping #1 bolt in sequence on exhaust side. I was pretty damaged... considering im taking the extra steps to prevent any failure, and here we go with the extra work. Bolt snapped. Does cold weather have any affect on tourqing. Should it be warmer. After being real high strung and having a anxieity attack i carefully dissasembled the intake side to removed the actual cam holder. Drilled out the snapped bolt carefully. Got it out........... to make a long story short.. BUT i had the tq wrench set at 20 lbs and started in the center at the top #1... and it snapped. I got the cam seal in..... Everything is snugged up. Just not sure if i want to tq anything untill i have a idea of what could of been a contributing factor to the bolt shearing in the threaded socket. I have some cheap looking tq wrench and did not want to use it. My dad was helping he let me go turned his back and next thing you know im ready to throw the towl in completely on the honda swap scene. I have remained calm up untill now.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Camshaft holder plate. NEED HELP ASAP.

Any one have any Imput on what i should do. A idea.. Something. A peep
Old 01-12-2010, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There are two different sizes of camshaft holder bolts. The 8mm get torqued to 20 ft-lbs but the 6mm only get torqued to 86 INCH-POUNDS. I've broken one myself before- they are very fragile. I ended up replacing all of them with higher grade fasteners. Use an actual in-lbs torque wrench. Don't try to convert to ft-lbs.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

BTW those torque specs are for B-series motors. Make sure you've got the right torques for your motor.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

YES all be series engines appear to be simmilar. I have a manual. Shares both GSR and B16a2 engine specs. Both the same or not? i also have some other print sheets from like FFF squad. Have same b series layouts with cam holder specs. All are right to my knowledge so far.

My manual on the topic says- 86 in lbs (6mm) and 20 FT lbs (8mm) You said not to do the converting but using a Inch one you would have to. I did the conversion and im at 240 in lbs for the 8mm. 7Ftlbs on the 6mm.

Today i purchased a Tq wrench in 3/8 size. Has Inch designation rather than foot.

Where did you get hardned hardware for the plate?
Not goin to tighten these untill it warms up a little as well. Supposed to get a little THAW out. Still think being super cold has some thing to do with it
Old 01-12-2010, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For the cam plates they are the same. About converting, I meant when it calls for ft-lbs, use a ft-lbs torque wrench and for in-lbs use an in-lbs torque wrench. Some people use the standard two foot long torque wrench to tighten inch-lbs and just convert the inches to feet. Doing that can overtighten since they aren't as precise as in-lbs wrenches. Using the in-lbs for ft-lbs doesn't cause the same problem. For the hardware, I naturally went to the hardware store. Pretty sure it was Truevalue. You can bring them one of each bolt and say that you want stronger, higher grade, hardened fasteners. If the store doesn't have them in stock, they should be able to tell you what nearby store does or else order them for you. The guy I spoke with even told me about a warehouse nearby that stocked nothing but every fastener known to man. When you upgrade the bolts, you should be extra careful about properly torquing them. With stronger bolts, tightening them too far would damage the threads in the head rather than the bolts themselves.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The colder metal is, the harder it is- the less it bends and the more it breaks. That said, the bolt should have survived even in the cold if it wasn't tightened beyond the torque specs. My first inclination would be to blame the wrench you were using when it broke.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ya i would agree. Hoping that the 3/8 is a hit rather than a miss. Thanks for the help tho. I will see how things go after the timing belt......

About the hardware i was thinking like ARP. Wasnt thinking of but i get the idea i can go to a Fastenal and see what type of **** they have to offer. I do have other heads laying around. I took same exact bolt off a simmilar head. Didnt want to but Im not ready to button the valve cover up yet..
Old 01-12-2010, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have seen many of those snap...