Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

brand new clutch shudder?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brand new clutch shudder?

Just replaced a 100k original clutch yesterday that was shuddering and slipping all over the place with a brand new stage 2 exedy pressure plate/disk/flywheel/to bearing and it ran fine, but just today it's developed a shudder worse than my old clutch.

2 mistakes:
Threw a couple hard shifts around 5k first day to test it
Did not clean flywheel with acetone and it had some grease smudges on it.

Please help! Can I just pull the clutch and clean the flywheel or did I hotspot the brand new flywheel and contaminate the disk with grease?

Feel free to flame, I deserve it I just want to know what I have to fix
Old 02-18-2008, 10:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The stage 2 is the 3-puck ceramic disk? Ceramic friction discs typically do not require a break-in, but beating on it before it has a chance to bed into the flywheel probably isn't a great idea. I don't think ceramic discs are as prone to "glazing" as organic discs, but if you did glaze it, you might get lucky and it'll go away with a few days' worth of driving. Some chatter on engagement is also inherent in a puck style ceramic disc, but if it wasn't do it before, or chatter got worse after hard shifting, then it's possible to have developed some hotspots. I would personally drive it for a couple days and see if it goes away, since dropping the tranny is a bitch. If you're not comfortable with that and need to get in there right away, then check for obvious hotspots or discoloration both the pressure plate and the flywheel, and check the friction pads for any abnormal wear.