Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Assistance needed: Troubleshooting the starter

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 02:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Assistance needed: Troubleshooting the starter

Ok so long story short, went turbo tried to start think the main relay went bad burned up original starter while cranking. Car has been down for months.

Replaced main relay ordered a new starter installed new starter bolted in no problem HOOKED everything up threw away old starter (bad move on my part) motor is a 94 gsr block transmission is s80 itr lsd transmission. So my question is is their multiple starters for b series manual transmissions? Because out of the blue after trying to track down a wiring problem which i just don't see their being an issue, (car ran great before went turbo only wiring changed was adding wideband and ecu boost control and a brand new ecu and hondata with a basemap)then i rembered the starter bolted in fine but their was no resistance to slide it in like the gears meshing but The old starter their was as well as any of the other 20-30 starters I've replaced, it just sits in their like the plunger isn't long enough. The starter I ordered is for a 94 gsr manual transmission and is a bosch. (tested works fine)

Makes a rapid click when trying to crank over but hell I've added so many grounds including a direct ground from the battery to the main ground on the thermostat I can pretty much guarantee it's not the issue and battery has been checked three times all holding 90 plus percent charge. (Was cranking fine till the starter went) Then like I said i remembered the starter is just sitting in their tightened but not making contact with the flywheel.

I read over and over again all b series manual starters are the same well I'm at a loss here maybe somebody knows a longer plunger type starter maybe because its an s80 case?
Old 10-03-2016, 04:03 AM
PHANTOM MENACE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default re: Assistance needed: Troubleshooting the starter

Just curious, what's the date on the battery?
Old 10-03-2016, 06:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

If it weren't engaging the flywheel, you would hear the starter motor take off and spin fast but without turning the engine, like it would on a bench test.

Suggest you jump the starter to bypass the key etc. and measure voltages at the battery and at the starter. Jumping the starter means you unplug the small wire from the solenoid and use a test wire from that terminal to battery +. This should make the engine crank, so be sure the transmission is in neutral. It is safer to leave the key off so there is no chance it will actually start, you just want to see if it will crank.
Old 10-03-2016, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Battery was replaced last fall, I get consistent 12.4-12.7 at the starter main power connection on the starter( get the same at the battery), haven't tried to jump the starter yet besides when i bench tested it. Multimeter leads wasn't long enough to get voltage at signal wire but put a test light while cranking glows bright red usually when it glows bright means good voltage though from my experience. No blown fuses replaced every fuse just for good measure have double triple checked them with multimeter getting power to both sides of all.
Old 10-03-2016, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Tested battery voltage again 12.57 hasn't been charged in at least two months so think its solid, jumped starter hear it come out sounds like it's hitting the flywheel or something but not cranking. Also pulled the plugs cranked the motor over manually just to make sure motor wasn't seized it's not smooth as butter.

Last edited by 00mustanggt; 10-03-2016 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Adding more.
Old 10-03-2016, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

What car?

Originally Posted by 00mustanggt
Also pulled the plugs cranked the motor over manually just to make sure motor wasn't seized it's not smooth as butter.
Details?
Old 10-03-2016, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 00mustanggt
Battery was replaced last fall, I get consistent 12.4-12.7 at the starter main power connection on the starter( get the same at the battery), haven't tried to jump the starter yet besides when i bench tested it. Multimeter leads wasn't long enough to get voltage at signal wire but put a test light while cranking glows bright red usually when it glows bright means good voltage though from my experience. No blown fuses replaced every fuse just for good measure have double triple checked them with multimeter getting power to both sides of all.
did it spin when u bench tested? there are multiple starters, automatic will be a different bolt pattern from a manual starter. I have used both LS starter, and the b16 one on my GSR motor the wiring hookup is slightly different but they both worked just fine
Old 10-03-2016, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

93 eg hatch cx, 94 gsr engine rebuilt with itr internals, built head, s80 jpn lsd trans e85 forward facing turbo setup, motor ran fine n/a, Just checked make sure motor wasn't seized preventing it from cranking.

It spun fine both Bench testing it as well as taking it into the auto parts store, Don't think it's an auto starter bolted in perfect noticed the signal wire was slightly further away though but just figured different manufacture wasn't a big deal.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I also have an s80 transmission, evrything sounds normal you may want to try cleaning the starter/tranmission with a wire brush at points of contact this is how it gets the ground connection
Old 10-05-2016, 01:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Will give that a go ive cleaned all the other ground points except bellhousing/block mounting points makes perfect sense though old starter was extremely dirty. Cant believe I didn't think of that. The small things :/
Old 10-05-2016, 11:38 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Assistance needed: Troubleshooting the starter

I understand that the engine in question is, in fact, turbocharged. However, this is mainly an issue regarding the starter/electrical system, unrelated to the turbocharger itself ,and therefore constitutes the thread going into the Tech/Misc section. You'll more than likely have better responses there as well.
Old 10-05-2016, 12:38 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: Assistance needed: Troubleshooting the starter

https://honda-tech.com/forums/tech-m...mp%5D-2961164/ 94