Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

*Warning* Be careful of sandwich adapters

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *Warning* Be careful of sandwich adapters

After a discussion with Jim from Precision Turbo, I feel I understand why my 2000 mile turbo went bad. I thought I would upgrade my turbo feed with a Greddy sandwich adapter, this proved to be a mistake. My turbo failed due to contaminated oil. This is a result of the location in which the feed receives oil from the adapter. All 3 of the ports on the adapter go straight to the location where unfiltered oil enters the adapter directly from the pan. This is not good.

Just a heads up for all of you in the market for adapters, be sure to get one that pulls from the filtered side. For now I will be resorting back to the sending unit location since it is on the filtered side. From some of the info I have read, I think the GE adapter pulls from the filtered side or incorporates a filter in the adapter.

Mitchell
Old 01-24-2006, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: *Warning* Be careful of sandwich adapters (FyReo3)

I must say, it sure seems that every turbo company seems to blame junky turbo problems on "poorly filtered oil". Not saying this is the case here, but I know that Turbonetics pulls this **** all the time to get out of properly handling warranties..
Old 01-24-2006, 08:14 PM

Default Re: *Warning* Be careful of sandwich adapters (locash)

Yeah, that may be true.
I am really confident in the guys at Precision, they appear to be trying to solve the situation rather than just tell me that it is my fault for using a certain product. It seems as if they have received several turbos that display the same problems, and they all had the same common factor...... unfiltered oil from certain adapters.

I could definitely see how it could cause problems with something turning at such high RPM's and the materials used in the center cartridge.