Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

techncl alignment question

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default techncl alignment question

how many degrees of toe in or out is one full 360 degree turn of the tie rod.

examples

1.if you had 0 degrees toe in or out

you then rotated the tie rod 360 degrees to the right

you would have ____ degrees toe out

2.if you had 0 degrees toe in or out

you then rotated the tie rod 360 degrees to the left

you would have ____ degrees toe in

?
Old 07-16-2013, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: techncl alignment question

This would probably vary from model to model, and maybe even generation to generation. Since you didn't bother to list what car you need this information on, no one is going to be able to answer you.

Why don't you just use a set of DIY toe plates and measure it?
Old 07-16-2013, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

aww man man bro your right i did forget to tell you my car i have a 1989 ED just like my username
Old 07-17-2013, 03:11 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 218 Likes on 196 Posts

I hope you're not trying to do the wheel alignment at home. If you are working at a shop and asking for alignment specs, shame on you.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

different for each and every car, tierod and time you do it. there is no 1/4 turn = 1* formula.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes alignment at home so i can get to perfect facrtory spec lol shame on you for assuming such ignorant things lmao. i have massive toe in its killing my tires and hurting my gas mileage. everybody that does not twist wrenches thanks for your replys. im almost 99.9% sure the process for adjusting 1989 to1990 civics is the same and im 99.8% sure the process is the same for every honda on the road lol. wanna know the secret the two arms or rods if you will that extend for the rack and would be used to thread a tierod onto has a 6point stub on it 14mm size you adjust toe by move that in or out. stay tuned for how to know if your wheels are parallel. bedtime
Old 07-18-2013, 05:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you're right, i don't know ****... i just teach this stuff in college...

and probably everyone else that has replied has no idea either...

you are the expert. sorry.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

honda tech is not an online college fyi so heres how professor get your car lifted and with a tape measure pick a point on your tire. your tread pattern is a good place to choose. granted you have the same tread pattern on both tires. go ahead and measure from the two points. measure as far as you can toward the front of the tire. then again measure from the same two points you choose but the time from the furthest toward the rear of the tire. if the front measurment is larger than the rear. you have toe out. if the rear measurment is larger than the front. you have toe in. this is called sighting your wheels and is not an alignment. it will get your wheels parralle but your steering wheel probably wont be straight. dont forget to measure again once your car is on the ground. not a bad fix it you dont get paid until next week and you need your toe fixed asap
Old 07-19-2013, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 615 Likes on 487 Posts

I'm going to play a little bit of devil's advocate here...

Originally Posted by NVturbo
I hope you're not trying to do the wheel alignment at home.
Assuming correct techniques, what's wrong with doing alignments at home?
Old 07-20-2013, 04:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

It all depends on the available equipment you have and how you use it. It is possible to align a car with jack stands and string if you know what you are doing.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 615 Likes on 487 Posts

Correct. I'm actually doing mine again today, since I plan on making a ride height change later. There's nothing wrong with doing it at home, as long as you have a good relatively flat floor to start with and a few tools.

OP, you're sort of on the right track but need to do a little more reading. The tools you need can be made for about the price of one good alignment, and you must have a good work area to do it. You can correlate measurements taken with the wheels off of the ground to where the wheels will be while on the ground, but I don't recommend it since it just adds another variable to the equation, and thus another opportunity to mis-measure or miscalculate.

Take a look at my thread:

https://honda-tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes-54/took-my-diy-alignment-setup-next-level-3128246/

I did it using the jackstand method for a few years. It was a huge pita. This way cuts the time to less than half since I don't have to resquare the box every time I move the car.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 89ED
honda tech is not an online college fyi so heres how professor get your car lifted and with a tape measure pick a point on your tire. your tread pattern is a good place to choose. granted you have the same tread pattern on both tires. go ahead and measure from the two points. measure as far as you can toward the front of the tire. then again measure from the same two points you choose but the time from the furthest toward the rear of the tire. if the front measurment is larger than the rear. you have toe out. if the rear measurment is larger than the front. you have toe in. this is called sighting your wheels and is not an alignment. it will get your wheels parralle but your steering wheel probably wont be straight. dont forget to measure again once your car is on the ground. not a bad fix it you dont get paid until next week and you need your toe fixed asap
you still haven't answered your original question. maybe it's all the mis spelled words that has you confused. i'm lucky i can interpret fucktard and read what you attempt to type.

we could have told you how to do this type of alignment. i do this at the track with longacre plates and a caster/camber gauge. but, you didn't ask how to do this type. instead you asked for specifics that do not exist.

and i'm not a honda tech "professor" - oh no, i am an auto instructor at an actual technical college... but i don't think that you could meet enrollment standards, sorry...

but, i'm not one to argue over the internet. good luck with life and that attitude.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

and yet the college ramains unnamed , its ok i believe you shame on me for doing this at home you said but you do it at the track there must be a difference. ill do research. the thread went from a question to write up bcz. i ask before lifting the car and doing it myself sorry i guess. congrats on succeeding on interpreting my writing i wrote it in riddles jk i used my android phone and no spell check there and no self ambition to care if the grammer is correct. be sure that the fact that my miss spelled words has an any effect on your impression on my i.q. will not have any effect on the amount of sleep i acquirer.