Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

Spring compressors - Does anyone use this one from Harbor Freight?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 05:16 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spring compressors - Does anyone use this one from Harbor Freight?

Going to be putting some Konis on my S2000, and I need to get a sping compressor for the job. This one only has one compression rod, which sounds nice, but I don't know if it will work on my car:

http://www.harborfreight.com/c...43753

Does anyone use this Harbor Freight one? Will it be suitable for my purposes?

I have used this kind before: http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr...57000
But they are a PITA with having to keep going back and forth between the two side compression rods when compressing and decompressing.

Andrew
Old 03-20-2006, 05:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Spring compressors - Does anyone use this one from Harbor Freight? (aklucsarits)

i dont know how often you are going to be changing springs to justify buying one or if this is going to be used once and thats it.

anyway you can rent it (the pain in the *** one) from autozone for free. This is obviously the cheapest, but if you want to buy one sorry i cant put any info in.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Spring compressors - Does anyone use this one from Harbor Freight? (TurboEM1)

get this one. its cheap and all you really need.
http://www.harborfreight.com/c...=3980
Old 03-20-2006, 07:16 AM
New User

Default Re: Spring compressors - Does anyone use this one from Harbor Freight? (quis23)

^^^ I don't want a dual rod one. They are a pain, and as the other poster pointed out, you can get them on loan from autozone for free. I saw that other cheapo one at Harbor Freight yesterday, and it's not suitable for my purposes because the one end has a hook that is too large/thick.

I really just want to know if anyone here has any experience with the single rod one from HF that is pictured above. I need to know if that one is any good because they do not carry it in the HF brick and mortar store near me, so I would have to mail-order it.

Andrew
Old 03-20-2006, 07:23 AM
#1 Super Guy

Received 124 Likes on 118 Posts
Default Re: Spring compressors - Does anyone use this one from Harbor Freight? (aklucsarits)

The latest autozone spring compressors also have "cast-steel" claws that are too thick to fit between the coils of honda springs. Needless to say I was pretty dissapointed that I was unable to dissasemble my shocks...
Old 03-20-2006, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

ive been looking to buy/use that red one for a while. i think it would work fine except that it only have 2 pairs of clamps, which doesnt look all that stable.

i actually did buy the exact same one as the cast claws from HF since i was cheaping out. I actually found the claws needed to be cut off in order for them to work (with the stock dust boots).

its annoying that its hard to find a cheap and functional spring compressor. those professional ones would be AWESOME, but just not practical for the enthusiast.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:41 AM
New User

Default Re: Spring compressors - Does anyone use this one from Harbor Freight? (Tyson)

Well I just ordered it. About $49 shipped. We'll see how it works...

Andrew
Old 03-21-2006, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by aklucsarits &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well I just ordered it. About $49 shipped. We'll see how it works...

Andrew</TD></TR></TABLE>

Keep us posted. I've been thinking about picking one of those up too; those dual rod ones are just way too much of a PITA.

Old 03-21-2006, 10:18 AM
#1 Super Guy

Received 124 Likes on 118 Posts
Default Re: Spring compressors - Does anyone use this one from Harbor Freight? (AutoXer)

Yeah, if you can fit that between the coils it would be great. I also like how it has the saftey pins to keep the coils inside the claws...

I might buy one also...
Old 03-21-2006, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that one looks pretty interesting..i'd rather use the two seperate ones that go on each side...much easier in my opinion
Old 03-22-2006, 09:31 AM

Default Re: Spring compressors - Does anyone use this one from Harbor Freight? (94eg!)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94eg! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The latest autozone spring compressors also have "cast-steel" claws that are too thick to fit between the coils of honda springs. Needless to say I was pretty dissapointed that I was unable to dissasemble my shocks...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I had nearly the same problem when I replaced my springs. The cast-iron (not steel) claws just barely fit between the coils: I had to take the claws off the threaded rods, wiggle the claws in place by themselves, and then thread the rods it. Total PITA.

I guess these things are designed for 70's American cars....

Has anyone tried the $12 set from HF? Are the claws thinner and able to get between the coils? As infrequently as I deal with springs, I'll put up with having to mess with two separate adjusting bolts if I can just find a set of compressors that will fit easily between the coils.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Re: Spring compressors - Does anyone use this one from Harbor Freight? (dwolsten)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dwolsten &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Has anyone tried the $12 set from HF? Are the claws thinner and able to get between the coils?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tyson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i actually did buy the exact same one as the cast claws from HF since i was cheaping out. I actually found the claws needed to be cut off in order for them to work (with the stock dust boots). </TD></TR></TABLE>