Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

how the heck do you use a spring compressor

Old 04-02-2004, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how the heck do you use a spring compressor

I want to install my springs right now so I went and rented a spring compressor but I have no idea how to use one!! Im taking the springs off a 98 hatch if that helps. someone please tell me how to use it!!!!!!
thanks in advance
Old 04-02-2004, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how the heck do you use a spring compressor (Ziatic)

edit, too late
Old 04-02-2004, 12:30 PM

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-02-2004, 12:35 PM

Default Re: (Ziatic)

You dont need to use a spring compressor, just lay it down and stand on that bitch. Put someting in front of the strut top to prevent losing stuff. I did this and had my dad loosen the nut on top. The force of the spring expanding kicked my feet underneath me and i fell over HAHAHA. Yeah, it was stupid but we had no spring compressor and i had to get my **** done.

NO J/K never do this. its very dangerous. you should have it figured out now.
Old 04-02-2004, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i find that honda coils are usually too tight for most spring compressors to fit... but the one i use is made by Lisle:

http://www.handsontools.com/st...25658

it uses U bolts that fit inbetween honda coils.
Old 04-02-2004, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EGhatched)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EGhatched &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You dont need to use a spring compressor, just lay it down and stand on that bitch. Put someting in front of the strut top to prevent losing stuff. I did this and had my dad loosen the nut on top. The force of the spring expanding kicked my feet underneath me and i fell over HAHAHA. Yeah, it was stupid but we had no spring compressor and i had to get my **** done.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I wanna see a video of this! Haha.

I've heard of people trying this before it's not worth it.
Old 04-02-2004, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (koreanwilcox)

You guys are wimps. Have someone stand on the shock while another person loosens. Me and my friends did this on a couple of our cars...no problems.
Old 04-02-2004, 01:00 PM

Default Re: (Happyman)

not just loosen the nut on the top till its ALMOST off. then wrap like 2 towels around the spring so its nice and tight like a burrito.. and stand up stepping on the flap of the towel so it cant unravel itself, and make it so you can still get the allen and wrench into the end of the burrito and loosen itslowly and itll pop apart and still be assembled.. then just unwrap it and take apart.. trust me i always do it this way hasnt failed me yet
Old 04-02-2004, 01:10 PM

Default Re: (drunknbass)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by drunknbass &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">not just loosen the nut on the top till its ALMOST off. then wrap like 2 towels around the spring so its nice and tight like a burrito.. and stand up stepping on the flap of the towel so it cant unravel itself, and make it so you can still get the allen and wrench into the end of the burrito and loosen itslowly and itll pop apart and still be assembled.. then just unwrap it and take apart.. trust me i always do it this way hasnt failed me yet</TD></TR></TABLE>

or.....just get a spring compressor and save yourself the trouble?
Old 04-02-2004, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wimps? call me what you want, but i like to do it the right way with a spring compressor.

i have seen a hefty 6'6 guy get knocked the hell out in my class by sprung energy. he thought he was tough until he found out that concrete is much tougher than your head.
Old 04-02-2004, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (Happyman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Happyman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You guys are wimps. Have someone stand on the shock while another person loosens. Me and my friends did this on a couple of our cars...no problems. </TD></TR></TABLE>

so being safe is wimpy now? i bet you dont even bucket up ,huh?

i know someone did it with a clamps too but so what?

Old 04-02-2004, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EGhatched)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EGhatched &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You dont need to use a spring compressor, just lay it down and stand on that bitch. Put someting in front of the strut top to prevent losing stuff. I did this and had my dad loosen the nut on top. The force of the spring expanding kicked my feet underneath me and i fell over HAHAHA. Yeah, it was stupid but we had no spring compressor and i had to get my **** done.

NO J/K never do this. its very dangerous. you should have it figured out now.</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL
I had a friend that tried something like that when taking the springs out of a 91 Mazda 929. He unscrewed the bolt and the spring shot up and went right through his hand.
Old 04-02-2004, 01:49 PM

Default Re: (Mar_EK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mar_EK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

or.....just get a spring compressor and save yourself the trouble?</TD></TR></TABLE>
well if you know how to do it this way it ends up being faster than hooking up a spring compressor.
Old 04-02-2004, 01:51 PM

Default Re: how the heck do you use a spring compressor (Ziatic)

On my last to suspension jobs we just stood on the spring and unhooked the bolt, it doesn't shoot that far. Everything stays together.
Old 04-02-2004, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by drunknbass &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
well if you know how to do it this way it ends up being faster than hooking up a spring compressor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

by what? 2 minutes?

its a spring compressor, not a k20 conversion harness.
Old 04-02-2004, 01:52 PM

Default Re: (lax1185)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lax1185 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

LOL
I had a friend that tried something like that when taking the springs out of a 91 Mazda 929. He unscrewed the bolt and the spring shot up and went right through his hand. </TD></TR></TABLE> Um...haha. I guess he kinda deserved it.

When working with springs, I find that one can't be to careful. If that makes me a wimp, then so be it, but I'll be the one that doesn't have a hole in my hand from a spring!! (lax1185, just using your story as an example...Could be anyone. Like that guy who was knocked out!)
Old 04-02-2004, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how the heck do you use a spring compressor (94CarbonHatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94CarbonHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">On my last to suspension jobs we just stood on the spring and unhooked the bolt, it doesn't shoot that far. Everything stays together.</TD></TR></TABLE>

did you have aftermarket springs to start with? or maybe you just had dead springs. oh well... whatever works you guys.

just dont get yourself fucked up by sprung energy
Old 04-02-2004, 03:11 PM

Impact gun + sping compressor = HANDLED!!!!!!!!
Old 04-02-2004, 03:25 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by drunknbass &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">not just loosen the nut on the top till its ALMOST off. then wrap like 2 towels around the spring so its nice and tight like a burrito.. and </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm kinda hungry for Taco Bell.... anyone else?
Old 04-02-2004, 03:49 PM

Default Re: (carsaregood)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by carsaregood &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i find that honda coils are usually too tight for most spring compressors to fit... but the one i use is made by Lisle:

http://www.handsontools.com/st...25658

it uses U bolts that fit inbetween honda coils. </TD></TR></TABLE>

this is the exact one i have but where exactly do u put the u bolts? and where do the rods come into play? Are you just supposed to attatch the u bolts to the coils and grip the two rods with your hands while u tighten the big bolt?
Old 04-02-2004, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this is a pretty bad picture to illustrate it, but its like that. you put the U bolts on the coils, put the brackets on them, and then nuts on to secure them, or else they move from the spring force when you go to compress. put the big *** threaded rod through both, with the washers, and the big *** nut on the end. Then do the same for the 2nd one on the other side of the coil.

Try your damnedest to get them as close to 180 degrees apart from each other because once you start turning the nuts down, it'll want to twist. It can twist enough to the point where you'll ahve the spring compressed, but won't be able to pull out the strut because something is in the way. so its worth the time to make sure the compressor is on as straight as possible because if not, you may end up having to start all over. dont' ask me how i know... Using this spring compressor is a pain in the ***, it takes a LONG time to use, but better safe than sorry. Oh and one more tip, when you're uncompressing the springs, the brackets can get stuck on the threaded rods of the compressor. if that happens, just hit it with a hammer with light to moderate force. make sure the nut is on securely, because it will be what stops the bracket from shooting out any further.

and also be sure to wear pants as sweet as mine.
Old 04-02-2004, 04:26 PM

Damn that was very thorough!
thanks a lot bro