Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

Spring compressor for install

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spring compressor for install

Hey, I will be attempting to install some skunk2 coilovers and was wondering if i needed a spring compressor. From what i've read the answer seems to be yes, but i'm not sure exactly why you would need one. Is it purely safety related just so that the spring dosn't shoot off when you take off the top part of the strut? or is necessary for removal and installation of the springs, and without it, the job would be hard to do? thanks a lot guys.
Old 01-05-2005, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no, you won't need one.
Old 01-05-2005, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mike C)

it makes taking them off easier/safer
Old 01-05-2005, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Re: (Mike C)

wait a sec, mike.

it is not NECESSARY, but makes the installation process easier, particularly for the disassembly of the old shock and spring. yes, its possible to do without it if you dont have access to one, but its a lot safer and easier.

to INSTALL the new springs you wont need it, because the springs arent long enough to preload the suspension. but you still need it to disassemble because you need to reuse the top shock mounts.

you can rent them for free at autozone. i really dont recommend trying to get by without spring compressors with stock springs, especially if you havent worked on suspension before.
Old 01-05-2005, 04:48 PM

1 if you raise the car up place a jack under the lca and raise it up it compresses the spring,undo the topnut and then let the jack down,cant get easier than that,wait yes it can
2leave the car on the ground and undo the topnut,at that point the spring hat is unbolted and the springs are still compressed on the ground untill you jack the car up to remove the rest of the bolts,and besides all that I smashed my hand using a spring compressor the first time...imo compressor not needed.
Old 01-05-2005, 04:49 PM

Default Re: (Tyson)

Hey Tyson, it looks like i will be renting one, but for free though?. also you said i need to reuse the top shock mounts, as if they would be ruined if i didn't use a spring compressor? please explain i am a little confused, can parts be damaged removing the springs? thanks for all your help
Old 01-05-2005, 04:50 PM

Default Re: (d0nfry)

i see what your saying mugenracer, so basically just let the weight of the car compress the spring, and if the spring did shoot up it would be contained in the wheel well.
Old 01-05-2005, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MugenRacerX)

you know, this method works great for aftermarket springs, but not with the stock springs. stock springs are so preloaded that when totally released, the length of the spring does not allow easy disassembly of the lower fork from the LCA and what not.

i found with stock springs that you still had to find a way to compress the spring back to get enough clearance to work with all the other parts. its very possible to do, but its not safe or easy. i found myself wishing for a spring compressor to do it right.

i use this method all the time when replacing my suspension between GC and other aftermarket kits i have. the aftermarket springs are much shorter (i could almost compress it with my own weight enough to screw the nut) and with GC/ERS, theres no preload at all. but it was easy to forget the difficulty it is with stock springs until i had to do this again.
Old 01-05-2005, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (d0nfry)

its not that not using a spring compresor will damage anything (hopefully), but im saying even if you bought new shocks with your springs to replace your old shocks and springs, you will still need to reuse the top shock mounts which will require you to disassemble the old suspension. you could find another set of top shock mounts, or buy aftermarket ones i suppose.

btw, you WILL be needing some upgraded shocks with that adjustable spring kit. otherwise youll find yourself hating what you did and probably end up doing it all over again soon.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:08 PM
.RJ

I bought one for $20 at autozone. Worth the money, and while you can do it without it, it saves time and it is safer

Old 01-05-2005, 06:32 PM

as Tyson said, hopefully you are upgrading your struts as well. If you are removing factory struts and springs, then go to Autozone or Pep Boys and rent spring compressor for either 20 or 40 bux which is fully refundable when you bring it back. You will only need it to remove the spring.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:25 AM

Default Re: (ice11honda)

yes, I will be getting some koni yellows eventually I've read that they are incredible with skunk2's. thanks for the input guys.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tyson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wait a sec, mike.

it is not NECESSARY, but makes the installation process easier, particularly for the disassembly of the old shock and spring. yes, its possible to do without it if you dont have access to one, but its a lot safer and easier.

to INSTALL the new springs you wont need it, because the springs arent long enough to preload the suspension. but you still need it to disassemble because you need to reuse the top shock mounts.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i assumed he was already on lowering springs. assumptions are bad. mikey will not be bad anymore.