Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

should i get my car corner balanced?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should i get my car corner balanced?

my car is currently dropped too low and my alignment is off (its pulling to the right). i basically wanted to just raise my car up by a 1/2 inch and get an alignment, but my friend was telling me to get my car corner balanced. i need more info on corner balancing and whether or not i should do this. also, can anyone tell me of any So Cal shops that do corner balancing? thanks please help me out.

i drive a 2003 civic si with TEIN Superstreet coilovers and Hotchkis front and rear sway bars <<<<not sure if you need that info
Old 05-26-2005, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: should i get my car corner balanced? (mawreeo)

You will need to install a front and rear camber kit. Then take it to get aligned
that will take care of the pull and tire wear. adjusting your corner weight can improve your car's handling by properly balancing the weight distribution.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:56 PM

Default Re: should i get my car corner balanced? (Jago)

^^thanks

anyone else have any suggestions? can't i take it without having to buy a camber kit?
Old 05-26-2005, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm pretty sure that on our cars we can only adjust toe in stock trim, the rest, Camber, Caster, and to a lesser degree scrub angle, are not adjustable very much if at all.

Usually camber can be off by a significant amount, 1-2 degrees or more on a lowered car, so buy a camber kit is a good investment
Old 05-27-2005, 05:22 AM

Default Re: should i get my car corner balanced? (Import_Fan)

so would it be better to just raise my car a little and then get an alignment? i don't think im gonna buy a camber kit. also, what shops in So Cal do corner balancing? i want to give them a call.
Old 05-27-2005, 06:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you want to corner weigh it but don't want a canber kit

man ricers will take anything and run with it halfed assed.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: should i get my car corner balanced? (turboman)

If you have less than a 2" drop then you don't need a camber kit. Also, I would say if you are just driving on the street you do not need to get the car corner weighted. Corner weighting will optimize the car to turn right and left equally well but will only be noticeable at the limit. Street drivers should not be at the limit and should not really notice any difference between a corner-weighted and non-corner-weighted car. My personal opinion is that its a waste of your money on a street car.
Old 05-27-2005, 08:11 AM

corner balancing will cost you quite a bit. more than an ingalls camber kit. its a pretty involved process and should really only be used on a track car. or a car that frequents the track. if you dont care enough about the way your car drive to get it to stop pulling. then you deffinatly shouldn't worry about corner weighing it.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:39 PM

Default Re: should i get my car corner balanced? (turboman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turboman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you want to corner weigh it but don't want a canber kit

man ricers will take anything and run with it halfed assed. </TD></TR></TABLE>
WTF? Obviously I don't know anything about corner balancing and that's why i'm asking you guys for help. What the hell makes me a ricer? also, learn how to spell bitch. please just answer my question if you can about the corner balancing. there is no need for talking crap.
Old 05-27-2005, 05:42 PM

bump for any shops in so cal that corner balance
Old 05-27-2005, 08:02 PM

if you have an aftermarket height adjustable suspension system shouldn't you know what corner weighing is? or did you just pick up an issue of import tuner and decided you needed them to drop your car too low, because hell, we all know that lower is better, who cares for suspension geometry, proper alignment specs and suspension travel.

you don't need to corner weigh your car, totally useless for you, alignment is what you need.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:41 PM

Default Re: should i get my car corner balanced? (yudalicious)

i obviously care about my car handling correctly, thats why im asking for info. man, i bouight tein superstreet adjustable dampers and coilovers because i know that i would be able to adjust my ride height and damping force. i know what camber, caster, abd toe is. i just wanted some info on corner balancing as i had not heard of the term before. i know now. thanks to those who were helpful ... and screw the rest who were being asses .
Old 05-28-2005, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Mario, calm down...no one trying to talk **** to you...
try seeing it this way.
our cars are originally designed in Japan, where the people sit in the right side. Honda had to make some modification to import it into the US. Since they are rhd cars, Honda made the left side of the car a little more heavier, putting the weight of the driver in to calculations (i read this in automobile magazine a looooooong time ago...so it should be right-hopefully i'm not making a fool out of myself). but this makes things worse for us, because we sit of the left side....and it makes our cars more heavier on the US driver side...so we get different #'s going left and right. corner balancing tries to nutrilize the weight distribution of the car so that the handling is more neutral. Now, it's very expensive and your going to have to wait sometime as well because the places that i know that does corner balancing such as Progress (i think they do corner balancing...l) has a long wating list since they cater to alot of racers who wants to get their suspension done from them. We are giving you our opinions when we say that you "DONT" need corner balancing because...you don't. After you paid $$$ for corner balancing, you wont even feel the difference...we are trying to save you money and disappointment. So..get a camber kit and get alingment done. THis will fix the car from pulling to the right, it WILL save your tires..THUS HELP YOU SAVE $M$O$N$E$Y$. Hope this helps.
Old 05-28-2005, 09:29 AM

Default Re: should i get my car corner balanced? (trustbuddy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by trustbuddy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Mario, calm down...no one trying to talk **** to you...
try seeing it this way.
our cars are originally designed in Japan, where the people sit in the right side. Honda had to make some modification to import it into the US. Since they are rhd cars, Honda made the left side of the car a little more heavier, putting the weight of the driver in to calculations (i read this in automobile magazine a looooooong time ago...so it should be right-hopefully i'm not making a fool out of myself). but this makes things worse for us, because we sit of the left side....and it makes our cars more heavier on the US driver side...so we get different #'s going left and right. corner balancing tries to nutrilize the weight distribution of the car so that the handling is more neutral. Now, it's very expensive and your going to have to wait sometime as well because the places that i know that does corner balancing such as Progress (i think they do corner balancing...l) has a long wating list since they cater to alot of racers who wants to get their suspension done from them. We are giving you our opinions when we say that you "DONT" need corner balancing because...you don't. After you paid $$$ for corner balancing, you wont even feel the difference...we are trying to save you money and disappointment. So..get a camber kit and get alingment done. THis will fix the car from pulling to the right, it WILL save your tires..THUS HELP YOU SAVE $M$O$N$E$Y$. Hope this helps. </TD></TR></TABLE>

dude, thanks . i didn't think i needed to spend that money. your help is much appreciated. a shop wants to charge me $20 bucks per coil ($80 total) just to raise my car by a 1/2 inch. that doesn't sound right. what do you think? how do you know my name?
Old 05-28-2005, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mawreeo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

dude, thanks . i didn't think i needed to spend that money. your help is much appreciated. a shop wants to charge me $20 bucks per coil ($80 total) just to raise my car by a 1/2 inch. that doesn't sound right. what do you think? how do you know my name? </TD></TR></TABLE>
get some help from your friends..you should be able to raise your car by yourself with the tools that came with the coilover. and about the name...if you click anyone's name, it shows their info that he/she registered with honda-tech.
Old 05-28-2005, 11:30 AM

no one was being an *** until you called someone else a bitch... realize when you come and ask a question like "I have xxx coilovers but what is corner balancing," quite honestly, you're making a fool of yourself, you give the impression that the extent of your knowledge is probably from whichever "import tuning" magazine you picked up.
Old 05-28-2005, 11:55 AM

Default Re: should i get my car corner balanced? (yudalicious)

actually, i called that guy a bitch because he referred to me as a ricer. he doesn't even know me.