Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

re-man rear calipers - parking brake sticks [w/ video!]

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon5 re-man rear calipers - parking brake sticks [w/ video!]

2000 Civic EX w/ Integra rear disc

The rear calipers I put on this car when I first did the conversion were shot and beyond rebuild for the 4th time, so I got a pair of remanufactured calipers from a reputable brake parts seller on ebay. Quality is good and hydraulically, they worked fine. Set the parking brake though and the right rear would not release on it's own. Left rear hung a bit. Here's the video.

If embed code doesn't work, video is here:

I let the seller know there was a problem and they IMMEDIATELY shipped me a new pair of calipers and a return label for the other ones. Great customer service.

Those calipers have been on for about 2 week now and were working fine......until today. I drove back to work through the remnants of Hurricane Florence. They were exposed to a LOT of water. The next time I set the parking brake, NETHER caliper would release on it's own. Sadly, I'm now rather adept at shoving my hand in behind the tire and releasing them by hand in about 2 seconds. Just popped them free and I was on my way. Feels like something inside is holding the arms back like the clip on a mousetrap until enough pressure is applied for them to spring.

Any thoughts or ideas to resolve this short of removing them and trying calipers from somewhere else? Should the parking brake lever arm be lubricated internally? I'm not afraid to break them down if that might fix the issue.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:50 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: re-man rear calipers - parking brake sticks [w/ video!]

My friend had/has the same issue with his Advance auto rebuilt calipers.

There was a burr or raised portion or something on the mechanism. The e brake swing arm got caught on that burr.

He was able to get some glowing rotor shots and then tap the mechanism with a hammer...and it released right away.

That is...if you're sure that your cables aren't rusted up.

I usually opt for lightly used OEM. Or just factory new OEM.

The aftermarket still has MASSIVE quality issues.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: re-man rear calipers - parking brake sticks [w/ video!]

Thanks man. Cables are good. I didn't want to go the re-man route, but @ 216K, it's getting hard to rationalize large expenditures on this car. These were $133/pair shipped, no core return. You can definitely see and feel the difference in the quality of the slider pins and rubber boots. I can only image what kind of crapola got put into the caliper body that I can't see.

I'm going to pull the parking brake arm out of my old ones and see what it looks like in there.....possibly swap that mechanism into the new calipers. Will update the thread later.