Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

1991 Hatch Suspension Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 Hatch Suspension Upgrade

So, my car is currently (tragically) lowered on ebay coilovers and blown out stock struts, or what appears to be, at least. So I purchased what I found to be the cheapest solution (working on a serious budget, and I'm currently riding on a blown shock ebay coilover combination from the previous owner, and also I've read some the lectures about stuff but I think this combination will be suitable for what I require) which turned out to be Megan Racing coilover sleeves mated to Skunk2 "sport struts". After research, I even discovered the megan sleeves roughly match the skunk2 sleeves that are supposed to go on the struts in terms of spring weights, so I should get an "intended" ride rather than the bumpy shitty ride that most people complain about when they put the wrong spring rate on them. "Or so the forums have said". Anyways, here's a link to both products.
https://www.redline360.com/megan-rac...vic-MR-CO-HC88
https://www.redline360.com/skunk2-sp...ic-541-05-1200

I have received the megan coilovers in the mail already, and for $120, I think they are alright. I work in a machine shop (on my 5th month now, coming from burger flipping!), and I asked some of my more experienced coworkers what they thought of them. They were surprised the sleeve was made from aluminum, but from what I found, the highly-recommended "ground controls" also have a sleeve machined from the same grade of aluminum. One thing I will note however, I found very sloppy on Megan's behalf. The sleeves, rings included, weren't de-burred at all! It took me ten minutes with some brown scotch-brite and suddenly the sleeves were smooth, and the rings actually spun (because those rings weren't deburred either, and I mean there were BIG NIBLETS on those threads) without binding super easily. Imagine if I had just thrown them on the car! They'd have immediately been "stuck" like I read most ebay coilovers end up doing! Something to be said about proper installation.... I also plan on putting some anti-seize lubricant on the threads before I throw it on the car, to increase its longevity. I see why these coilovers are half the price of skunks and a 1/3rd of the ground controls. The lack of burring indicates sloppiness in general in Megan's manufacturing process (I'm guessing, at least) and the springs are pretty, but have some spots where the paint did not take all the way as well. Just to be as nitpicky as possible. The lubricant I was suggested at work was a copper based formula, for which the bottle said "for stainless steel and similar applications". They said it was fine for aluminum, but I'm asking the almighty honda-tech wizards, as well.

Anyways, here are some pics.
Spoiler

Anyways, after a proper de-burring the rings spin pretty easily and after lubrication I'm certain it'll work just great. I don't have the struts yet, but when I get them I'll be doing another photo shoot! Once they are installed, and after I put some miles on them (daily driver) I will also give updates. I haven't seen a proper review for this setup anywhere, and I purchased it for around $400, which from what I found was about as much as a stock suspension would have ran me anyways. I don't mind de-burring my own sleeves or doing a little machining if it saves me hundredsish of money. I do work in a machine shop, but I also only want to do things once! So here's to hoping my research findings will not betray me.

Honda-Tech has saved my life so many times, posting about these cheap springs is (far below) the least I can do.