Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

NEX COILOVERS: Same quality as TEIN and/or KSPORT/D2?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEX COILOVERS: Same quality as TEIN and/or KSPORT/D2?

Hi,

What are your experiences with NEX suspension? Good or Bad? Why?

NEX offers dampening adjustability for WAY less than the price of Ksport; but is the 4-way "click style" more practical than the 36-way (Ksport/D2) or 7-way (Tein)?

Opinions?

Modified by StarRizer at 12:04 AM 6/14/2006
Old 06-14-2006, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NEX COILOVERS: Same quality as TEIN and/or KSPORT/D2? (StarRizer)

bump
Old 07-13-2006, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i second the question . thanks
Old 07-17-2006, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by StarRizer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hi,

What are your experiences with NEX suspension? Good or Bad? Why?

NEX offers dampening adjustability for WAY less than the price of Ksport; but is the 4-way "click style" more practical than the 36-way (Ksport/D2) or 7-way (Tein)?

Opinions?

Modified by StarRizer at 12:04 AM 6/14/2006</TD></TR></TABLE>

How would 4 way be better than 36 way in any instance why would u want your adjustments to be les precise on btw the lowest cost adjustable tein the (tein ss) are 16 way adjustable where did u come up with 7?
Old 07-17-2006, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NEX COILOVERS: Same quality as TEIN and/or KSPORT/D2? (SilentHill)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SilentHill &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How would 4 way be better than 36 way in any instance why would u want your adjustments to be les precise on btw the lowest cost adjustable tein the (tein ss) are 16 way adjustable where did u come up with 7?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think you're mistaking quantity for quality.

In other words, you can have infinite levels of adjustment (as is the case with those dampers that have no clicks or detents to mark off individual settings), but if only 3 of them are effective, then whats the point?

On the other hand, you can have a damper with just 4 settings, and so long as each individual setting is useable (aka the damper does not become over/underdamped at that setting for a given spring rate, and the damping across the entire range is still effective), then thats what counts.

Who needs 30, 40, 50 or infinite levels of damping when 50% of the damping curves are more or less overlaid on the 3 above and below it, and when 75% of the curves are inadequate for the application/spring rate?
Old 07-18-2006, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NEX COILOVERS: Same quality as TEIN and/or KSPORT/D2? (PIC Performance)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PIC Performance &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I think you're mistaking quantity for quality.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

the teins are not like turing the cap on a water bottle they click into slots, also like i said before why not have more levels so u can do finer tuning. If i was gonna adjust the time on a watch seconds and minutes matter to me not just hours i dont want a clock that can only make 12 adjustments. Same goes for a car the more the better no road is the same no car is the same.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SilentHill &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

the teins are not like turing the cap on a water bottle they click into slots, also like i said before why not have more levels so u can do finer tuning. If i was gonna adjust the time on a watch seconds and minutes matter to me not just hours i dont want a clock that can only make 12 adjustments. Same goes for a car the more the better no road is the same no car is the same. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah man but you know what I think? I don't think there's a person on these boards who could possibly tell the difference between 2 clicks stiffer/softer vs. 3 clicks stiffer/softer.

If you find somebody who can do this let me know.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have had the NEX SS on my previous 1995 Honda Civic for 1 1/2 years. I have had no issues from these. In fact I have only stellar remarks to make about the kit. It was the most impressive set of coilovers ever installed on my car. Not that this really matters but, the NEX coilovers were the best LOOKING coilovers that I have seen in person.

I currently own an IS300 and an S2000. I will be ordering another set for the IS300 as my current Tein Super street coilovers suck! They are too damn bouncy IMO. I don't race/track/autocross, really all I bought the TEINs for was to lower to car for visual appeal, not really for performance, but wanted ride height adjustability and didn't want to go with the base modely coilover set up that TEIN offered which I believe is the TEIN basic. I am not sure that being lowered on 225/35/19 and 245/35/19 tires in the back make the ride more or less bouncy but this is my current set up and I am not happy w/ it.

I have ridden in a friend's M3 (who does autocross) w/ NEX coilovers and his car feels UNreal. The car stuck to the ground already from the factory very well, but after the NEX install, it was as if the car was on rails and could not loose traction, there was NO body roll and as far as daily driving comfort -

Once I get the NEX coils for the IS300 and it is still all good as it was for the Civic, I will be getting them for the S2k. The IS300 is a much heavier car that the Civic, but I would imagine that the spring rates and shocks of the kit will be tailored to compensate for the difference.

For NEX
Old 07-25-2006, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SilentHill &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the teins are not like turing the cap on a water bottle they click into slots, also like i said before why not have more levels so u can do finer tuning. If i was gonna adjust the time on a watch seconds and minutes matter to me not just hours i dont want a clock that can only make 12 adjustments. Same goes for a car the more the better no road is the same no car is the same. </TD></TR></TABLE>

What I meant was that you should make sure each level of adjustment is actually different from the previous. If you have 4 levels, but 3 of them basically overlap each other, then you effectively only have 2 adjustments.

if you look at some of the shock dynos posted in the sticky at the top of the forum, you will see what I mean. Most of the time, the increments are not equal across all levels, so its not really like adjusting a watch.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah man but you know what I think? I don't think there's a person on these boards who could possibly tell the difference between 2 clicks stiffer/softer vs. 3 clicks stiffer/softer.

If you find somebody who can do this let me know.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I know of at least 4 guys on these boards running our coilovers who can easily discern the difference in handling between every level of adjustment. While it does take a somewhat experienced driver to tell the difference, it requires each adjustment to actually *make* a difference as well.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NEX COILOVERS: Same quality as TEIN and/or KSPORT/D2? (2camsaam)

Just ordered my NEX SS for the IS this morning (should be here in 5 business days), will post and will provide my opinion of this kit. Mind you, I am removing my TEINs to replace them with NEX.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:03 PM

Default Re: NEX COILOVERS: Same quality as TEIN and/or KSPORT/D2? (2camsaam)

get pic's! just look at their shock dynos and compare. the tein and all these other hyped up brands are not worth the money. say setting dampening (which is fast and slow, not soft and hard) 1-4 may overlap and for the most part not be any different from one another. then have a huge jump from 4-5 and so on.

make your purchase from facts. look at shock dynos, ask people that really use thier suspensions and dont just drive around the streets.