Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

Lowering springs on stock shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering springs on stock shocks?

I know this topic has been brought up before but the thread it's from was basically dead and it didn't give the answers I'm looking for..

I want to lower my stock suspension with Eibach Pro Lowering Springs (1.2" - 1.5" drop) which is a pretty mild drop. I'm just worried about how crucial it is to upgrade the shocks and installing a camber kit. I know the essentialness of camber kits are arguable but if I did need it, would I need just the rear or both axles? I know those are both recommended if you're lowering your ride with a really high spring-rate etc. but the Pro Kit is supposedly design to be installed with stock suspension or everyday street driving, which is my case.

I'm going for mostly looks but I do want a little performance. Nothing crazy like autocross, just "spirited" driving. Next I plan on upgrading my LCA's and installing a rear swaybar.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Lowering springs on stock shocks?

Year/Make/Model always helps when inquiring about your car.

Absolutely no need for a camber kit on Pro Kit springs, not even close to low enough. See "sticky" FAQ at the top of the page my man (https://honda-tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes-54/no-you-do-not-need-camber-kits-2614449/), that'll give you a better idea of when/why a camber kit is needed. For your purpose it does nothing so don't wast your $$$.

I use a Pro Kit on my DB7 Sedan (link below for pics) and it dropped it about 1.2" TOPS, so if your hoping the drop is more in the 1.5" range I think you'll be disappointed. Most people wouldn't even know that your car is lowered. Really and honestly won't do too much for looks. However, you'll never worry about speed bumps, parking bricks, curbs, etc...and they'll kick the crap out of your OE springs when it comes to "spirited driving." I LOVE these for those exact reasons, this will be my 3rd car w/the Pro Kit.

How many miles on your OE Struts? Those will work fine for quite some time, when you need new struts purchase some koni's so you can run w/the lifetime warranty. At that point you'll be cruising on million mile springs and lifetime struts.

Don't upgrade your LCA's unless your going w/F7. They are really just a bling thing at the end of the day, you could ditch that concept and you'd be half way towards a set of Koni Struts. Just some food for thought.

Bang-a-rang, and welcome to HT!
Old 06-11-2011, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks man, you really know your ****.
I have a 1999 Civic EX. I've only owned the car for 9 months and have absolutely no maintenance history from the past owner. I've been urged not to drop my car from alignment mechanics who are buddies, but they haven't got to me because I really don't want my car like an inch off the ground.. like a lot of Honda's are here in SoCal. All I really want is a mild drop that will do everything you said it would. I might as well go for the shocks at the same time to do it right the first time.. avoid headaches in the future. I just want to know if it's really worth it for my money. I'm not trying to build an autocross dream machine here, I just care about handling more than power. But I don't want to break my bank on parts and wait ages just to save up. You feel me? lol
Thanks for all the advice.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by neonracer2k5
Thanks man, you really know your ****.
I have a 1999 Civic EX. I've only owned the car for 9 months and have absolutely no maintenance history from the past owner. I've been urged not to drop my car from alignment mechanics who are buddies, but they haven't got to me because I really don't want my car like an inch off the ground.. like a lot of Honda's are here in SoCal. All I really want is a mild drop that will do everything you said it would. I might as well go for the shocks at the same time to do it right the first time.. avoid headaches in the future. I just want to know if it's really worth it for my money. I'm not trying to build an autocross dream machine here, I just care about handling more than power. But I don't want to break my bank on parts and wait ages just to save up. You feel me? lol
Thanks for all the advice.
^^^That's exactly what I was getting at. Do it right, do it once, and be done with it.

I purchased the Pro Kit/Eibach Strut combo...shipped to my door for $460. Eibach also has the sport combo kit (Sport springs/pro struts) and that can be found for $420 shipped on eBay, no camber kit needed here either...and will give you more of that aggressive look your searching for, but is known to bottom out every once in a while. Eibach struts come w/a 2 year warranty and the springs have the million mile warranty.

I love this package, however I wish I would have saved $100 more to get the Koni Str.t's (just for the lifetime warranty piece of mind)

Now, not to add confusion to the game...but in the $550 range you can find Progress CS-II coilovers and you can pick your spring rates (meaning ride quality), and choose whatever drop looks good to you since the height is fully adjustable. Don't forget you'll need alignment every time you change the cars height...so if you take this route choose one height and leave it be, but you'll always have the option to lower or raise it in the future... the great part about this setup is the fact that you can purchase the springs w/stiffer rates for cheap just in case you decide to do an event in the future.

EKForever, and a couple other guys here use this setup, they're tried and true...and pretty much OWN any other coilover in the same price range.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^^ everything this guy said. Only thing he didn't mention was you won't need LCA's since your car is an EX you should have sway bar mounting holes in yours. If you plan on going with any sway bar larger than oem Si, you will be needing a subframe brace. From personal experience since you're going with this mild set up oem would be perfect.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by PreyStayShun
^^^That's exactly what I was getting at. Do it right, do it once, and be done with it.

I purchased the Pro Kit/Eibach Strut combo...shipped to my door for $460. Eibach also has the sport combo kit (Sport springs/pro struts) and that can be found for $420 shipped on eBay, no camber kit needed here either...and will give you more of that aggressive look your searching for, but is known to bottom out every once in a while. Eibach struts come w/a 2 year warranty and the springs have the million mile warranty.

I love this package, however I wish I would have saved $100 more to get the Koni Str.t's (just for the lifetime warranty piece of mind)

Now, not to add confusion to the game...but in the $550 range you can find Progress CS-II coilovers and you can pick your spring rates (meaning ride quality), and choose whatever drop looks good to you since the height is fully adjustable. Don't forget you'll need alignment every time you change the cars height...so if you take this route choose one height and leave it be, but you'll always have the option to lower or raise it in the future... the great part about this setup is the fact that you can purchase the springs w/stiffer rates for cheap just in case you decide to do an event in the future.

EKForever, and a couple other guys here use this setup, they're tried and true...and pretty much OWN any other coilover in the same price range.
]
I've NEVER seen coilovers that cheap!
Good looks.

Originally Posted by STOCK_SOHC_DX
^^^^ everything this guy said. Only thing he didn't mention was you won't need LCA's since your car is an EX you should have sway bar mounting holes in yours. If you plan on going with any sway bar larger than oem Si, you will be needing a subframe brace. From personal experience since you're going with this mild set up oem would be perfect.
Oh, I've heard that too.. anything over 19mm should get a subframe brace.

Thanks guys. Do you have any other recommendations for handling or suspension upgrades? Like what upgrades help the best for handling in your own experiences.. that has the cost in mind. lol
Old 06-11-2011, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Springs make it handle decent, struts make it handle like a race car and ride like a luxury vehicle. I love my Koni sports. Proven suspension, great warranty, and adjustable. However I only have lowering spring on them which ride nice but are way too soft for my driving style and mechanical grip level.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by FlewByU352
Springs make it handle decent, struts make it handle like a race car and ride like a luxury vehicle. I love my Koni sports. Proven suspension, great warranty, and adjustable. However I only have lowering spring on them which ride nice but are way too soft for my driving style and mechanical grip level.
good info, thanks
Old 10-02-2016, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PreyStayShun

Now, not to add confusion to the game...but in the $550 range you can find Progress CS-II coiloversand you can pick your spring rates (meaning ride quality), and choose whatever drop looks good to you since the height is fully adjustable. Don't forget you'll need alignment every time you change the cars height...so if you take this route choose one height and leave it be, but you'll always have the option to lower or raise it in the future... the great part about this setup is the fact that you can purchase the springs w/stiffer rates for cheap just in case you decide to do an event in the future.

Are these coilovers any good? I was thinking about getting it for my em1.