Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

How To: Replace Rear Trailing Arm Bushing- Cool Tool I found Saves Allot of time

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (xep)

well thats good to know now....
Old 11-16-2006, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (be18see1)

I found the part numbers that fit what year Integras. I would think Honda side would be close. Not sure though. I found this info in the Acura sevice bulletin.

90-93 Integra:52385-SK7-N02
94-01 Integra:52385-SR3-000

I hope this will help

Travis
Old 02-05-2009, 08:19 AM

Icon2 Re: How To: Replace Rear Trailing Arm Bushing- Cool Tool I found Saves Allot of time

Does any one know of a supplier for bushings for the 94 accord wagon?

I can get the whole arm for 150....
Old 02-15-2009, 12:36 PM
New User

Default Re: How To: Replace Rear Trailing Arm Bushing- Cool Tool I found Saves Allot of time

good stuff. Just bought the tool and waiting for my bushings to come in so I can fix mine.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How To: Replace Rear Trailing Arm Bushing- Cool Tool I found Saves Allot of time

If you take one of the ends off some old drive shafts (bottom right in below pic) then you can sit this over the ring around the bush and hit in level.

Win.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The drive shaft idea is a good one and probably would work for taking out the bushings. However to drive them back in (evenly and properly)......I think that tool is a must.

They have an updated model ( # 65130 ) that is supposed to work on 90-93 Integras. I wonder if that updated model will work on my 2001 CR-V ? Does anyone know if the trailing arms on the CR-V are tapered and the bushing is only meant to come out one way ?
Old 05-05-2009, 05:32 AM
New User

hiya, new on here so please bear with me.

Regading knocking the bushes out with a tool, no good unless you have access to a ramp as you have to hit them hard to knock them out (believe me) I have a 1" scare to prove this where i hit my thumb.

Regarding the initial tool is there any chance i could get some measurements of it as you can not get this tool in the UK and i have access to machine one

I just need to know the width of the tool (overall) and thickness of the material used for the legs, also the position of the thread relative to the legs as this looks off set.

anyt chance somoeone who has a tool could measure it for me .... i would appreciate it many thanks in advance
Old 05-05-2009, 05:34 AM
New User

forgot to say .... i am again replacing the bushes for a Rover 45 / MG ZS with uses honda bushes (uk part number ) 52385-ST3-G01
Old 07-12-2009, 11:02 AM
New User

Icon3 Found NEW Schley 65100 tool on Ebay for $129 shipped

Cheapest NEW tool I've found... shipped for $128.94

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Joeys-Wholesale

Shipped same day as ordered, UPS tracking number provided.

Just do a search on their site for "honda bushing tool"

Check HondaMarketplace here for used tool first to see if one is available.

Someone lists a rental there too.

Last edited by SpinKix; 07-12-2009 at 11:22 PM.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

does it have diffferent press sizes so you can press out other bushings??
Old 07-12-2009, 11:18 PM
New User

Originally Posted by Edul59
does it have diffferent press sizes so you can press out other bushings??
There is a similar tool (65130) for Integras, but no other different sizes.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 94eg!
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tyson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">http://www.sptool.com/tool.htm</TD></TR></TABLE>

Did you see the special roll-pin punch for the honda shift linkage. That sounds good. I've looked forever for that specific item. Mabey it's time to invest (stupid christmas sucks up all my dough)?
matco makes a great one, well worth the $20
Old 07-14-2009, 04:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your just doing the TA bushing and replacing with a stock bushing no tool is required. The bushing is tapered and can be knocked in and out with a hammer. There is a vid on here somewhere of a guy doing it.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Anybody located in or around the Northeast PA area that has the tool and experience to change my RTA bushings? I can offer some cash. Get back to me. Sorry if this is not allowed.. I just need the help.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:06 PM

Hey ho.......
from a quick search,I am having a little trouble sourcing the tool to be shipped to Australia...........
Is Schley the only producer of such a tool?

CRV g1
'99 -152,000kms with a sloppy rear end.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rodentmaster
Hey ho.......
from a quick search,I am having a little trouble sourcing the tool to be shipped to Australia...........
Is Schley the only producer of such a tool?

CRV g1
'99 -152,000kms with a sloppy rear end.
No Matco also makes this tool. I own one but it's a lot more expensive. Lifetime warranty Worth every penny.
Part # MST6510

*edit*
Just seen the pic of the original looks exactly the same. Probably made by the same company. Only difference is Matco one comes with that warranty but I really doubt you can break this thing.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

update. the tools are now 75 shipped on ebay.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:58 AM
New User

I can give you my experience of replacing these bushes. Firstly I managed to get good quality (better than the originals) replacements for 5 UKP each on ebay. Make sure you get ones with a good taper as this will help you getting them in. The trick to replace them:

-firstly you need good underneath access. ideally the car should be on a lift with you having access underneath. You need good access underneath to swing a hammer about to knock out the old bushes. A pit may do the job. Axel stands or a ramp probably isn't good enough. If you don't have good underneath access, then you will need to remove the whole trailing arm; this is not difficult but means you will need to disconnect the break pipe (and thus have to rebleed brakes afterwards and get the pressure up again; more work). Generally removing all the bolts are easy as they within the car body and not prone to water soaking and corrosion.
-remove the wheel.
-remove the front bolt that holds the arm to the body (better than removing the next bolt along which will be rusted up).
-remove the bolts holding the bush in place.
-remove the two bolts holding the assembly to the side body of the car (just in front of the shock).
-The arm and bush can then be lowered at the front and you have access.
-Mark the positions of the upper and lower rubber bits on the arm so that you can put the new one in the same as the old one (assuming it has not moved).
-Measure the distance from the arm to the bolt holes in the bush.
-Knock out the old bush from the inside (they are tapered so that is the way they come out). There is a utube video that shows this; you wack the bush on either side using a squared headed hammer.
-Put the new bush in from the outer side, aligning with the marks you made earlier for the rubber bits.
-Tap the bush in using a similar method used for removing it (on both sides). Might be worth cleaning the hole for the bush beforehand and smearing some grease on to help the incersion. Tap them in until you get the same measurements for the bolt holes you took earlier (the new bushes appear to have more sideways movement for the holes so easier to align them up when fitting).
-Reinstall bolts in reverse order of removing them. Adjust front bolt to get camber right horizontally. There is probably another bolt for getting the camber right vertically (I did not need to do this).
Old 02-10-2010, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

No need to remove brake lines when removing trailing arm. Just remove the caliper and leave the brake line connected, and hang the caliper from the suspension spring or something.

Also it's best to mark the position of the trailing arm bushing with the car sitting on the ground. This way the new bushing will go in clocked correctly based on the car's ride height. Most people overlook this, but any time a Honda with trailing arms has its ride height altered, the RTA bushing has more stress on it since it stays in a twisted position all the time.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You can get a 12-ton press from harborfreight.com for $130 and IMO, is more useful.

I've seen them on sale for $104.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Same tool we used at acura when i worked there..Saves a lot of time def with a lift and they would charge people a arm and a leg to replace the RTA bushings and use this tool and have it done in no time..
Old 03-30-2010, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by D15B Civic
Same tool we used at acura when i worked there..Saves a lot of time def with a lift and they would charge people a arm and a leg to replace the RTA bushings and use this tool and have it done in no time..
I effing hate crooks and crooked mechanics/shops
Old 04-14-2010, 10:07 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you suppose to press the old bushing out towards the wheel?
And the new bushing in towards the car
Old 04-14-2010, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
I effing hate crooks and crooked mechanics/shops
Sad part is that it was a Acura Dealership...before leaving i had worked in dealerships for 5 years while in highschool and some of college and must say there sometimes worse then private shops
Old 04-16-2010, 05:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dognutz
If your just doing the TA bushing and replacing with a stock bushing no tool is required. The bushing is tapered and can be knocked in and out with a hammer. There is a vid on here somewhere of a guy doing it.
This is true. I just did my RTA bushings using a hammer as well. Three good wacks and the old ones popped out. Putting the new ones in required a little more work but thinking back, I should have put them in the freezer first so they would bang in easier. Everything took about 20 mins to get completed. No press is needed.

Quick Reply: How To: Replace Rear Trailing Arm Bushing- Cool Tool I found Saves Allot of time