Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

GC Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default GC Coilovers

So I have a set OF GC's on my Wife's EK sedan. 350/380. I am wondering I know guys swap springs on them all the time. I need like a 1-2" taller spring in the front to fit 235/45. Minimal rub now at like 1/2 a thread left on the collar. Pm'd VtecVoodoo,but hasn't got back with me.

Is it possible to keep the same spring rate and move to a taller spring or will the spring rate decrease?
Old 01-15-2019, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Re: GC Coilovers

since youre out of adjustment, you need a taller spring. you can keep the same spring rates if you want.

youll want to use a spring compressor when installing the top nut of the top hat, or see if you can use the weight of the car before tightening the nut. depends on how high youre really trying to go.

to get to actual stock height, you need to preload the spring.

dont get stuck on this term preload, ppl always get confused and aftermarket doesnt make it any clearer. its simple, if you ever had to install stock springs on a shock, you had to use spring compressors to preload the spring because the preload is what make the ride height so high. thats all it means.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Tyson
since youre out of adjustment, you need a taller spring. you can keep the same spring rates if you want.

youll want to use a spring compressor when installing the top nut of the top hat, or see if you can use the weight of the car before tightening the nut. depends on how high youre really trying to go.

to get to actual stock height, you need to preload the spring.

dont get stuck on this term preload, ppl always get confused and aftermarket doesnt make it any clearer. its simple, if you ever had to install stock springs on a shock, you had to use spring compressors to preload the spring because the preload is what make the ride height so high. thats all it means.
Yes just out of adjustment. Collar has maybe half a thread left in the front where rear has so much more left in it. Guessing because of the rate/spring height. Being it's on a 235/45/17 I need a hair more in the front so I can adjust rear accordingly.. Only rubs on our stupid roads and big dips,other than that it's fine,but not "rolling" wheel wells etc.. Used weight of the car with no adjustment on coilover to tighten,spring just needs to be longer..lol

Pic for reference.

Old 01-21-2019, 03:40 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get taller springs from Eibach. You can order direct or thru a dealer.

I think GC's come with 2.25 or 2.5" diameter springs. So just buy that ID of Eibach spring in whatever height/rate you want. Springs are available in all kinds of dimensions and rates.

I massively doubt you'll need a spring compressor. Just lower the perch, install the spring, and then raise to your desired height.