Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

Convert Integra GS to ITR Rear Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 09:56 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convert Integra GS to ITR Rear Brakes

Hi. I'd like to convert my 1998 Integra GS rear disc brakes to ITR disc brakes. Can I simply drill a 4 bolt pattern into a standard ITR rotor and bolt on to the GS wheel hub? I'm not sure if the counter-sunk phillips screws bolting the rotor to the wheel hub are the same width on the GS and the ITR wheel hubs. Is there anyone who sells a pre-fab rotor for this kind of conversion?

Next, can I use the GS caliper bracket or do I need to get an ITR caliper bracket? I would think that I do need to get the ITR bracket, but I was not able to find out if they are the same dimensions.

Are there any special modifications? The parking brake mounting bracket appears to be the same and wouldn't need modification. I'd really appreciate any insight because although this appears to be a relatively straight forward conversion, I'm concerned about any potential issues.

Also, is there a better conversion since I'm putting the time/money into this project?

Thank you for any answers and advice.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:49 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Convert Integra GS to ITR Rear Brakes

How can you even think about drilling your own weel stud pattern.? Thats a terrible idea. You can do it if you want your brakes to crack and fall off.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

https://honda-tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes-54/5-lug-conversion-using-4-lug-spindles-front-rear-1978033/
Old 01-07-2011, 06:21 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by Gsr_21
How can you even think about drilling your own weel stud pattern.? Thats a terrible idea. You can do it if you want your brakes to crack and fall off.
Thanks for making your first post to this forum a flame. Perhaps I have the right equipment and 15 years of steel fabrication experience. It's drilling 4 holes, not putting a man on the moon. I recognize that the only drill you probably have is the hand-me-down black & decker you got from your Dad, but some of us have our own shop equipment. Additionally, even if I didn't, I could go to a local machine shop and get the work done. The only thing that is "terrible" is your grammar.

Thanks for pointing me to a thread with a lot of information, but that thread appears to be about a conversion from 4 lug to 5 lug hubs. I'm happy with the front brake assembly and I really don't want to have 4 lug up front and 5 lug in the rear. I'm assuming what you are saying is that it's better to convert to 5 lug wheel hubs, but I don't want to do that. When I asked if there is a better conversion, what I meant is if there is a better option than the ITR disc brakes for the same time & money investment. I've owned this Integra for over 12 years and I've had nothing but problems with the stock rear disc brakes and I've read a lot of good things about the Type-R rear brakes, so that's what gave me the idea to convert them. There may be a more simple solution as well such as upgrading the stock rotors and pads, but I don't want to spend a lot of money experimenting and I'm seeking a solid recommendation.

Last edited by rob1570; 01-07-2011 at 07:10 AM.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rob1570
Hi. I'd like to convert my 1998 Integra GS rear disc brakes to ITR disc brakes.
so you're looking to stay 4x100 on your '98 integra GS, with ITR rear brakes

here's some facts about rear disc brakes we're discussing...

94-01 integra rear calipers are stamped 7CLP13S & use a 9.4" rear rotor

integra type-R rear calipers are stamped 9CLP14S & use a 10.2" rear rotor

RSX (type-S or base) rear calipers are stamped 9CLP14S & use a 10.2" rear rotor

EP3 rear disc calipers are stamped 9CLP14S & use a 10.2" rear rotors

* although the ITR, RSX & EP3 all share the same stamp, the caliper bodies are different between the ITR & RSX/EP3.

Last edited by roastbeefrichie; 01-07-2011 at 07:46 AM.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Can I simply drill a 4 bolt pattern into a standard ITR rotor and bolt on to the GS wheel hub? I'm not sure if the counter-sunk phillips screws bolting the rotor to the wheel hub are the same width on the GS and the ITR wheel hubs. Is there anyone who sells a pre-fab rotor for this kind of conversion?
ITR, 02-06 RSX & 02-03 EP3 civic Si all use rear calipers are stamped 9CLP14S.

although they all labelled the same, the caliper bodies are different.

the 3 models listed all share the same size pads and rotors, they can all be interchanged.

the ITR rear rotor can be re-drilled to 4X100. the EP3 & RSX (type-S or base) use rotors in the same dimensions and must re-drilled also.

the EP3 civic Si 02-03 already comes in a 4X100 pattern, so it's not necessary to re-drill them.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:32 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by roastbeefrichie
so you're looking to stay 4x100 on your '98 integra GS, with ITR rear brakes

here's some facts about rear disc brakes...

94-01 integra rear calipers are stamped 7CLP13S & use a 9.4" rear rotor

integra type-R rear calipers are stamped 9CLP14S & use a 10.2" rear rotor

RSX (type-S or base) rear calipers are stamped 9CLP14S & use a 10.2" rear rotor

EP3 rear disc calipers are stamped 9CLP14S & use a 10.2" rear rotors

* although the ITR, RSX & EP3 all share the same stamp, the caliper bodies are different between the ITR & RSX/EP3.
Sorry for my lack of clarification... my plan is to buy ITR rotors, calipers and caliper brackets... modify the ITR rotor to a 4 lug pattern and bolt everything on. What I don't know is whether there are any further modifications that I need to make, or if these parts will simply work with the GS wheel assembly. I'm also trying to find an ITR sized rotor pre-fab with a 4 lug pattern to save myself the effort of having to re-drill the ITR rotor - so can I use the EP3 civic Si 02-03 rotor in lieu of re-drilling an ITR rotor? Thanks.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Are there any special modifications? The parking brake mounting bracket appears to be the same and wouldn't need modification. I'd really appreciate any insight because although this appears to be a relatively straight forward conversion, I'm concerned about any potential issues.

Also, is there a better conversion since I'm putting the time/money into this project?

Thank you for any answers and advice.
"DC2 ITR rear calipers vs. non-ITR integra rear calipers"
https://honda-tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes-54/dc2-itr-rear-calipers-vs-non-itr-integra-rear-calipers-2759665/

once you acquire your rear calipers, pads & rotors, everything is a bolt-on

the only machine work might be re-drilling the rear 10.2" rotors, but again, you can avoid this by purchasing 02-03 EP3 rear rotors.

the EP3/RSX rear calipers on 4X100 must be mounted "left-side right" & "right-side left" in order to accomodate the e-brake cable.

because of the way it's mounted, the calipers must be bled off the car so the bleeder points upward.

the ITR calipers have the bleeder pointing up and the RSX/EP3 rear caliper has it pointing down

ITR passenger

RSX/EP3 passenger

"EP3 DC5 10.2 rear disc brake upgrade for 94-01 Integras"
https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-integra-6/ep3-dc5-10-2-rear-disc-brake-upgrade-94-01-integras-1110005/
Old 01-07-2011, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm also trying to find an ITR sized rotor pre-fab with a 4 lug pattern to save myself the effort of having to re-drill the ITR rotor - so can I use the EP3 civic Si 02-03 rotor in lieu of re-drilling an ITR rotor? Thanks.
ITR, 02-06 RSX & 02-03 EP3 civic Si all use rear calipers are stamped 9CLP14S.

although they all labelled the same, the caliper bodies are different.

the 3 models listed all share the same size pads and rotors, they can all be interchanged.

the ITR rear rotor can be re-drilled to 4X100. the EP3 & RSX (type-S or base) use rotors in the same dimensions and must re-drilled also.

the EP3 civic Si 02-03 already comes in a 4X100 pattern, so it's not necessary to re-drill them.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:49 AM
Trial User

Roastbeefrichie you are DA MAN! Sorry I posted that question before looking up the part, that Civic Si rotor looks perfect! Thank you very much for your answers!!

One more question, in your opinion, which are better... the ITR calipers or the EP3 calipers? Or are they essentially the same?
Old 01-07-2011, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Roastbeefrichie you are DA MAN! Sorry I posted that question before looking up the part, that Civic Si rotor looks perfect! Thank you very much for your answers!!
lol...anytime, glad i could help.

i've used all those 10.2" rear rotors (they're all the same specs except for their lug pattern),

the 02-03 EP3s work best for me since they're 4x100;

i no longer have to re-drill'em & they're available at any parts store off-the-shelf.

basically, it's the ITR rear 10.2" rotor in 4X100

One more question, in your opinion, which are better... the ITR calipers or the EP3 calipers? Or are they essentially the same?
neither caliper is really better than the other...the ITR rear caliper & EP3/RSX (type-S or base) are essentially the same caliper with minor differences.

if you look at the pics above (ITR vs EP3/RSX),

it's the e-brake & bleeder nipple that's different.

the parts interchange, they share the same size pads & use the same rotor
Old 01-07-2011, 08:15 AM
Trial User

neither caliper is really better than the other...the ITR rear caliper & EP3/RSX (type-S or base) are essentially the same caliper with minor differences.

Excellent, thanks again. Looks like I'll go with the ITR calipers, they are less expensive than the EP3 calipers from my local parts shop and top side bleeder makes them less hassle.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 04-05-2011, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol...anytime, glad i could help.

i've used all those 10.2" rear rotors (they're all the same specs except for their lug pattern),

the 02-03 EP3s work best for me since they're 4x100;

i no longer have to re-drill'em & they're available at any parts store off-the-shelf.

basically, it's the ITR rear 10.2" rotor in 4X100

what about calipers from a 94 accord? is the bleeder up or down and do they share the same rotor size?