Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

Braking question....

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Braking question....

I have a 96 dx with USDM ITR suspension and brakes and ITR brake booster and master cylinder and am thinking about a brake upgrade....

First question...is it needed, or is the ITR caliper/rotor setup going to be as good as any other?

The two setups I was looking at are:

1. Spoon calipers with Brembo cross-drilled rotors and steel braided lines

or

2. Mugen Active Gate braking system (includes calipers, rotors, lines, pads)

Im not interested in a big-brake setup, as I want to be able to continue to run 15" wheels...

Thanks for the input....
Old 01-19-2005, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Braking question.... (awdriscol4)

You have way more brakes than you need, I promise that. There is so much potential in those. All you need is some better pads and good fluid. I'm a carbotech/valvoline fan myself.

Your 2 options do seem to be in the Lots Of Money category, so if bling is what you're looking for, go wild. But for an effective brake setup, all you need is pads.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Braking question.... (drdisco69)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by drdisco69 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You have way more brakes than you need, I promise that. There is so much potential in those. All you need is some better pads and good fluid. I'm a carbotech/valvoline fan myself.

Your 2 options do seem to be in the Lots Of Money category, so if bling is what you're looking for, go wild. But for an effective brake setup, all you need is pads.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Cool, thanks...thats what I needed to know....and although I would LOVE either of those options....I prefer my bling in other areas...(FMIC anyone???)

What pads would you suggest ... looking for great stopping power, but also something that will hold up to everyday driving.....

Modified by awdriscol4 at 10:40 AM 1/19/2005
Old 01-19-2005, 10:25 AM
.RJ

Carbotech bobcats and ATE superblue fluid - call matt @ carbotech ( http://www.carbotecheng.com ) and tell him I sent you. ITR brakes are t3h r0xx0r.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:04 AM
Abusing my rights one day at a time.

Default Re: Braking question.... (.RJ)

I'm a huge fan of Brembo Spoon is too expensive for whatchya get in my opinion........but as stated earlier, you already have all the braking power you need and then some
Old 01-19-2005, 11:08 AM
.RJ

Default Re: Braking question.... (Mordeki)

Oh and stay away from cross drilled rotors - they're nothing but bling and prone to cracking. Brembo 'blanks' are fine, i use $23 autozone rotors and they are fine.

If you say cross drilled rotors cool better i'll punch you I almost broke my TV last weekend when I saw some douchenozzle on one of the "t00ner" shows say that.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .RJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Oh and stay away from cross drilled rotors - they're nothing but bling and prone to cracking. Brembo 'blanks' are fine, i use $23 autozone rotors and they are fine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wow, even high quality cross drilled rotors are prone to cracking, like the Brembos??? I only ask becuase I do like the way they look!! But, on the good side, Brembo blanks are much cheaper than the cross drilled!
Old 01-19-2005, 12:13 PM
#1 Super Guy

Received 124 Likes on 118 Posts

Any cross drilled rotor is proned to cracking. Slotted is better, but not for the price difference. These upgrades are really for appearance only (with todays pad technology). I have seen photos of porches w/ cracked crossdrilled OEM brembos.

**This option is only if you have OEM 9.5" brakes & knuckles**
Another option for you is Wilwoods new 11" kit. It has their forged 4 piston calipers & 2 piece rotors (aluminum hats), and drops quite a bit of weight. It was designed to fit 15" wheels too. http://www.hotrodsusa.com sells them for $550 shipped w/o crossdrilled rotors (sometimes they have E-coupons too). Also includes SS brake lines, pads, and use of saftey wire tool (with deposit) for assembly. Just letting you know.

Spoon & Mugen are WAY overpriced for what you get. And good luck getting new pads or rotors if/when they wear out.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:23 PM
.RJ

Default Re: Braking question.... (94eg!)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94eg! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Spoon & Mugen are WAY overpriced for what you get. And good luck getting new pads or rotors if/when they wear out.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Spoon calipers = stock ITR pad fitment
Mugen AG = stock S2k pad fitment

FWIW.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .RJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Oh and stay away from cross drilled rotors - they're nothing but bling and prone to cracking.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94eg! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have seen photos of porches w/ cracked crossdrilled OEM brembos. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I work next to a Porsche dealer, and everytime they use our alignment rack, I peek at the rotors. Funny how a 1.5" thick rotor will crack from being drilled, and people think a 0.6" thick rotor won't...

Carbotech is great, IMO. ATE fluid is great to, I use valvoline because it's local and a quarter the price. I would use ATE if I could pick it up easier.

I wouldn't look into increasing the size of the brakes, work on the efficiency. I have carbotech panther + pads, and I beat on them everyday. I'm probably going to get the XP9s next time, as the car is seeing the track more and more.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:27 PM
#1 Super Guy

Received 124 Likes on 118 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .RJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Spoon calipers = stock ITR pad fitment
Mugen AG = stock S2k pad fitment

FWIW.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ITR pads can be used in Spoon 4 piston calipers?!?! Does that apply to both Spoon designs? It would be pretty cool if it were true. I still don't think $1500 is worth it for a pair of calipers though...

Modified by 94eg! at 9:17 AM 1/20/2005