Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

best money spent on suspension.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 04:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best money spent on suspension.

I have a 92 civic EG hatchback with a k20 with hasport solid motor mounts. I feel that the body needs some stiffening and improvements. I have koni/GC coilovers for suspension. Question is what's the next step in further improving the handling/chassis for the car? I'm thinking function7 rear subframe brace with some sway bars for the rear. The car is a daily driver, but I do a lot of spirited canyon runs.
Old 02-26-2016, 05:26 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: best money spent on suspension.

How are the tires? Brakes? Alignment? Any one of those will make a larger difference than chassis bracing. Have you taken the car to the track to see where it needs improvement? A larger rear sway bar will also help the chassis feel...even on the street. But you haven't listed what type of bar or what spring rates you have.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm running neo gen tires on some ssr type r replicas. They are 15x6.5 brake and pads are ceramic no name. It's all stock.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry about that its 500f/400r car currently has no sway bars or strut bar.
Old 02-26-2016, 10:35 AM

I wouldn't go crazy with the rear bar....if you plan on using no front bar. But all the details on things like that get figured out at a track.

I'd start with better tires/wider wheels/alignment. A lot of people (including me) like a 225/45/15 front tire and a 205/50/15 rear tire. I liked my front camber around -3.2 degrees. I had 360F and 380R spring rates. JDM ITR 23mm rear bar. Stock ITR front bar. This was on an ITR.

Do you have a LSD trans? That helps with understeer.

I duno what you're looking to improve upon. Thats very complicated to answer.

Or...just want to buy *something* for your car with a tax return? Thats way more simple. Buy whatever makes you happy.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm running 195/50/15 all around. I know my question is vague as I don't know exactly what I want to improve. I just feel a lot of body roll while turning. So I guess I'm just trying to eliminate some body roll for the time being. No I do not have lsd, would the car benefit from some negative camber? I have none at the moment.
Old 02-26-2016, 12:04 PM

You shouldn't really have much body roll with those spring rates and those tires.

I liked having a lot of front camber for track use. It increased front grip and turn-in for me. Its not going to help body roll.

I wouldn't use a lot of camber unless you're looking for faster lap times. You'd need to have a camber kit and have the car re-aligned fully every time you made a change. Dialing it in to would take some time. Again...on a track. You might notice a difference if you're really pushing the car on the street. But it won't help your body roll.

Sway bars will help with mid corner body roll. I would not install just a rear bar. Stock ITR front and rear bars will help with your body roll and help balance out the car.
Old 02-26-2016, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B serious
You shouldn't really have much body roll with those spring rates and those tires.

I liked having a lot of front camber for track use. It increased front grip and turn-in for me. Its not going to help body roll.

I wouldn't use a lot of camber unless you're looking for faster lap times. You'd need to have a camber kit and have the car re-aligned fully every time you made a change. Dialing it in to would take some time. Again...on a track. You might notice a difference if you're really pushing the car on the street. But it won't help your body roll.

Sway bars will help with mid corner body roll. I would not install just a rear bar. Stock ITR front and rear bars will help with your body roll and help balance out the car.
Thanks buddy! I'm gonna buy a tower brace, along with rear sway bars with rear brace to with it.