Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

93 EG complete Suspension & wheel set up help

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 EG complete Suspension & wheel set up help

Time to upgrade my suspension on the EG. Just did a Type R swap and the shop (inline pro) recommended Tien coilovers. I'm also doing a wider wheel set up which plays into this whole dilema.

I know there are plenty of previous threads on suspension and wheels but I'm looking for a good combination of coilovers with front and rear sway bars/stabilizer bars, control arms, and most likely a little camber due to the below wheel size.

Trying to run 16x8 or 9 if possible with a staggered setup. Whats the lowest offset I can run on 16's? Would really like a "deep dish" set up but don't want to run crazy camber. trying to drop the car as much as safely possible.

ANY help on wheel size/offset and suspension combination is greatly appreciated. Pictures would be great as well.

Thanks.
Old 05-07-2017, 06:31 PM
I like to party

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: 93 EG complete Suspension & wheel set up help

Even a 16x8 with a low offset is going to require rolled fenders and more camber than I'm comfortable with. A 16x9 is going to be a shitshow as far as performance goes, unless you're talking a widebody kit and 255 series tires.

I'd stick to a lightweight forged 16x7, and run 205/45/16 tires on them. Tire compound is more important than width.

For coilovers, I've heard the new Tein street advance is acceptable, but I would personally look at - Progress, PIC, Fortune 500, AMR, and Ohlins, in order of cost.

Of course, this is all assuming you actually give a **** about performance and handling... if you're just trying to look cool and stance your car, then you should probably ask this same question on the facebook groups, they love ruining Hondas.
Old 05-07-2017, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2LEM1
Even a 16x8 with a low offset is going to require rolled fenders and more camber than I'm comfortable with. A 16x9 is going to be a shitshow as far as performance goes, unless you're talking a widebody kit and 255 series tires.

I'd stick to a lightweight forged 16x7, and run 205/45/16 tires on them. Tire compound is more important than width.

For coilovers, I've heard the new Tein street advance is acceptable, but I would personally look at - Progress, PIC, Fortune 500, AMR, and Ohlins, in order of cost.

Of course, this is all assuming you actually give a **** about performance and handling... if you're just trying to look cool and stance your car, then you should probably ask this same question on the facebook groups, they love ruining Hondas.
Strong words! No of course I am not by any means trying to compromise performance. I've just always liked the wide and stance look. I'm not really married to the aforementioned wheel size either. Was just my first thought. I know that 15's are the real comfort zone for our cars. What are your feelings about 15x8 with a lower offset? Or is it still the same deal in your opinion? I'm open to your thoughts as I appreciate what folks have to offer on here. Also, can you elaborate on "tire compound" ??

Thanks.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:24 PM
I like to party

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

15" wheels will tend to be lighter and have less rotational mass, therefore a lot of people prefer that size. You also have a bit better tire selection. 225/45/15 is a popular size, so lots of people run 15x8s with those, although they fit on a 15x7 fine as well.

As far as compound, you're better off running a extreme summer tire in a smaller size, than a cheap tire in as wide as you can fit. Tire compound is a large factor in how your car performs. Check out the Hankook RS3 and RS4, Azenis 615K+, Dunlop Direzza DZII, Bridgestone RE71, Toyo R1R, and Nexus SUR4

If you were performing at the cars peak performance level, and had made every possible tweak you could to pick up time, there's a strong argument that a 205 on a 8" wheel is faster than a 205 on a 7" wheel, but we're talking pro racers here trying to pick up a tenth of a second on a lap.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:10 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dished wheels look a little funny on any FWD car (my opinion).

But anything 8" wide is going to require fender mods and/or tons of camber.

What are you using this car for? I'm assuming just general "spirited" street use? Or is this your DD? Any dreams of tracking the car?

15" wheels have a huge advantage in tyre sizing availability. 205/50, 225/45, and 245/45 street tyres and track tyres exist.

If you had a K series track car with K series torque and DC5 ITR gearing....a 16" combo with 245/45/16 race tyres would work great.

If its not a car you're going to track...who gives a F about tyre sizing for anything besides looks? You're not gonna run out of grip with a decent street tyre wider than 205 anyway.

For street driven B series car whose fenders I didn't want to modify, I'd do a 215/45/16 or 205/50/15 on 7 or 7.5" wide wheels with around a 35 or 40 offset. Run like -2 or so degrees of camber. Live your life.

RPF1's have a small lip, if you like lips.

Tein...which model? How low do you want to be?
Old 05-08-2017, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B serious
Dished wheels look a little funny on any FWD car (my opinion).

But anything 8" wide is going to require fender mods and/or tons of camber.

What are you using this car for? I'm assuming just general "spirited" street use? Or is this your DD? Any dreams of tracking the car?

15" wheels have a huge advantage in tyre sizing availability. 205/50, 225/45, and 245/45 street tyres and track tyres exist.

If you had a K series track car with K series torque and DC5 ITR gearing....a 16" combo with 245/45/16 race tyres would work great.

If its not a car you're going to track...who gives a F about tyre sizing for anything besides looks? You're not gonna run out of grip with a decent street tyre wider than 205 anyway.

For street driven B series car whose fenders I didn't want to modify, I'd do a 215/45/16 or 205/50/15 on 7 or 7.5" wide wheels with around a 35 or 40 offset. Run like -2 or so degrees of camber. Live your life.

RPF1's have a small lip, if you like lips.

Tein...which model? How low do you want to be?
Thanks for the comments!

To answer your questions:

My current use: This is not currently my daily. We have a family car we use for daily driving. Just a project I'm finally getting to.

Track? Its nice to dream man If I could find a weekend to get to the track, I might get into that down the line maybe once or twice a year?? If I were to do that though, I would probably put the current GSR fat fives back on with some track tires??

My intention with the current wheels is to have a nice grounded look without sacrificing functionality and needing to do anything crazy like a weird amount of pulling or rolling fenders. I've always liked wheels with a nice lip on the EG chassis. Never done it though hence the reason im asking. I plan on going to events like Honda day among others along the east coast so want the car to look presentable.

This car was my daily back in college many years ago...I fell in love with it and when the d series died I just parked it until now. Just trying to build it and have a little fun.

As for the coilovers, my shop just said he had good experience with Tien as they are (according to him) JDM. This is my first time messing with suspension so I want to do it right without compromising other things. At least to the point possible. I get that I might possibly need a little camber.

How low? Not looking to slam the car by any means but I do like a low feel. So the lowest safe drop without rubbing.

Hope that answers your questions. Looking forward to your thoughts.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Enkei RPF1 (since you seem to like dished wheels) 15x7 +41/+35 on 195/55 R15/205/50 R15 tires or 16x7 +41 on 205/45 R16 is what works best on the EG chassis.
Max performance without ruining the car with fender rolling/pulling/bashing.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:28 PM

If its not a daily, and you're fine with some camber...and you're not planning on winter driving it, roll the fenders and run 15x8's in something like +30ish offset. They'll accomodate 225mm tyres, and they'll look right.

Google search for photos and find something you like. Inquire about it and go from there.

Tein has a few nice setups for around $600-900. Street Advances are nice....but they're soft and comfy. If you're planning on tossing the car around, buy the Street Flex and set it up properly. Its complex to set up a full body coilover...but worth learning about.

Tein does their R&D in the US, Japan, and Europe, depending on the setup and market. They're not what Id call "JDM". Which is neither good nor bad. What is good is that they do their own R&D.

AMR suspension seems to have gotten some good reviews as of late as well. So...maybe check them out.

PIC also gets great reviews as well.

Look around. Teins are nice. There are better options.

Someone mentioned Öhlins. I have Öhlins on my S2000, and really like them. But...idk if they make any for the US civic market.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:26 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Thanks for the mention. I can easily build you a setup for your goals, and needs. If you decide to pull the trigger on a set, be sure to use the coupon code for H-T members before checkout. Thanks!
Old 05-10-2017, 11:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you think that you might use Enkei RPF1 15x7 wheels, then if possible, test fit them to make sure that they fit and don't rub on the brake calipers or brake bracket. The RPF1's step down out where the spokes are, so may rub. On my car (2000 Civic hatch race car with ITR/Honda V6 calipers), I use 15x7 Enkei RPF1 in 15x7 size with ET35 offset, and had to grind down the brake brackets and calipers to keep them from rubbing on the wheels - I ground enough for clearance whether or not I'm running 10mm spacers. Main thing, is if you're going with a 15" wheel, then probably a good idea to do a test fit. - Jim
Old 05-16-2017, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So I'm looking at the AMR and Progress coilovers and both have good reviews. The difference in price is a whopping $900 though! Don't get me wrong, I'm not the cheap type, but I'm trying to justify the difference here.

Progress - $600
AMR - $1500

What are the real differences? I could really use some insight here! I know that AMR has a lifetime warranty vs only 1 year from Progress but progress seems to have been around for longer. Also, given that this is not going to be a race car, (more of a daily type) I'm trying to see of its REALLY worth it or not for my use. I mean of course I would like the potential of having some track days in the future but nothing professional. And of course if the quality is really all that much of difference, MAYBE that is good justification. Planning on keeping this car for a while so....

Thanks is advance for the input
Old 05-16-2017, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Also, forgot to ask about what the ideal spring rate is to order for my use.
Old 05-16-2017, 02:42 PM

On paper, I would lean towards the AMR's.

Monotubes, lifetime warranty, assembled in the US, customizable, full body adjustable (good feature if you know how to set them up), etc.

I don't have experience with either, TBH.

Spring rates? Idk...just for street use, something like 450ish F and 350ish R would work, GENERALLY speaking.

Shock valving is an important aspect of ride quality.

The nice thing about monotubes is the responsiveness and efficient use of their limited travel.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks all for the responses and help with suspension setups and options. I ended up ordering the AMR coilovers. Andy was very helpful in helping me make up my mind and put together a nice set up. I was looking into LCA's and a brace as well and decided to go ahead and do the complete setup.

Purchased:
AMR coilovers
Function 7 LCA's
Function 7 sub-frame brace
AMR rear sway bar

Was glad that AMR had it all in one place which is what really pushed me to do it all at once. Looking forward to the install and will keep you all informed as to the results.

So far its been VERY pleasant with Andy at AMR. The honda-tech discount was nice and very helpful along with the other promotions that they had going on. Was a good win-win in my opinion. I am expecting a really nice ride quality based on all the feedback and reviews I've been reading about AMR's. Hopefully we'll see pretty soon.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:28 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Great speaking to you, and getting you all setup. Building you a setup to fit your budget while getting you the other parts to complete your package was a pleasure. We'll get you all buttoned up soon here, and get your setup in your hands so you can see why we come so highly recommended. You will find that our machine work is not only excellent, but our build quality is outstanding for the price. Add our proven reliability to the picture, and you've got a setup that will outlast the car, and perform for many years trouble free. Thanks for the support! If anyone else is ever looking for a setup, and want quality, and the peace of mind of having a setup built for your needs, don't hesitate to contact us! For the past decade getting our clients dialed is what we do. We do have cheaper options for those on a budget looking to spend around 1000.00 like this client. So don't hesitate to contact us! Thanks again for the support, look forward to hearing your thoughts once you receive your parts.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:45 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Here is a teaser shot, you should be receiving everything shortly. I'll post the rest on our FB page when I get a chance. Look forward to you getting these installed.

Old 06-01-2017, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok so my parts all all here and all is looking great! I will be posting pics later.

***Important matter has come up:

So I dropped off my parts at the shop and while I was there we were discussing my set up and they recommended a front camber kit due to the cars natural negative camber in the front once lowered. I wanted opinions and feedback before I go and purchase a camber kit as I've heard that a proper alignment can fix negative camber resulting from lowering the car. Also I hear that this issue of natural negative camber is more of a toe alignment/adjustment?? (not what that means)

My goals with suspension are to have the car lowered and stanced a bit. Wasn't planning on camber kits and things like that.

Any thoughts?? Please help! Also if I do need camber, what are some good brands? Looking for quality parts. No ebay junk...
Thanks