Southern California Fresno & Below

Trying to Bard my car!!

Old 07-21-2015, 08:21 PM
Trial User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1
Default Trying to Bard my car!!

i bought my car with a Gsr swap its a Ej1 1993 motor has a AEM carb legal intake , Blox Manifold , It's also chipped and tuned ! The problem is I have no paper work on motor!!!! Is there any other way I can bard my car ?
Orubio1408 is offline  
Old 07-21-2015, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member
iTrader: (19)
rollinmyda's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NORCAL
Posts: 438
Default Re: Trying to Bard my car!!

Have you called and contacted the BAR? That's always the best course of action because they will tell you exactly what is going to need to be done. The first things they're going to tell you are that the engine has to be the same year or newer than the car, all emissions equipment must be present and functioning, and all parts must be correct for the motor you're using.

The ECU must be the correct stock ecu for the motor so your chipped ecu has to go. You'll need the correct OBD version P72. Blox intake manifold is not BAR legal so you will need to replace it with the original usdm gsr manifold. You don't need paperwork on the engine, they will likely run the vin and verify it isn't stolen. Really, I just suggest calling them if you're serious about BAR'ing it.
rollinmyda is offline  
Old 07-21-2015, 09:35 PM
-Intl Steve Krew
Caoboy's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Central Valley, CA
Posts: 4,732
Default Re: Trying to Bard my car!!

First off, it's not Bard. A bard is somebody who plays a musical instrument/sings etc.

BAR is an acronym which stands for "Bureau of Automotive Repair". You take your car to the BAR and pass it, the correct term is actually getting it refereed.

Secondly, a 'chipped and tuned' ECU is not going to pass the referee.

What you need to do, is make sure that the GSR swap has all the correct emissions equipment for whatever year GSR you are trying to referee it as. I'm assuming this would be for a 94 or 95 GSR engine aka a B18C1.

You'll need the correct matching ECU, there may be a revision between 94 and 95, the BAR station will let you know during the testing.

You'll need all the correct emissions equipment.

Intake does not matter anymore that's only 96+.

Intake manifold needs to be stock or CARB legal for the engine, BLOX is probably not.

Motor needs to be stock internally.

Header needs to be factory or CARB legal.

You need to have a catalytic converter that is CA compliant for the year GSR (CA compliant cats will have a serial number that represents this and the station checks it)

As long as you have the engine set up as 'factory stock' you'll pass just fine.

As far as not having paperwork on the motor, I have no experience there.
Caoboy is offline  
Related Topics
Thread Starter
Last Post
Introduce Yourself
04-16-2013 09:29 PM
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000)
11-27-2011 10:18 AM
Northern California (Sales)
07-22-2009 07:52 PM
Vehicles for sale
06-20-2009 05:20 PM
im a monster hehe
Southern California (Sales)
11-03-2006 10:26 PM

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trying to Bard my car!!

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to and affiliated sites.