Notices
Southern California Fresno & Below

So-Cal H-T members HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So-Cal H-T members HELP!!

so here is my situation, my family and i are moving from WA to CA this november and i was wondering how difficult it would be to pass my car on CA standard smog test.. what is the requirments of the smog test in cali neways..never lived there so i have no idea. i just got my cars tabs done in WA(1992 civic hatch w/jdm b16a3 dc headers, intake, 2 1/2 exhaust w/custom rsx type-s muffler and 2006 evo SE). what do i have to do to past the smog with my civic. if theres to much bullsh*t involved, i might just sell my hatch here in WA. but i have built this hatch from the ground up and the thought of selling her kinda sucks..so please help a fellow h-t member out..
Old 09-21-2008, 09:04 AM

Default Re: So-Cal H-T members HELP!! (animoEG)

Old 09-22-2008, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you wont pass smog cuz u have a b series in the eg hatch. unless its passed thru the dmv with the bar sticker. and u need the paperwork for the engine. also the motor needs to be newer than the chassis with less miles for it to be a legal swap
Old 09-22-2008, 10:48 PM

Default Re: (i-VTEC_DOHC)

well i have the receipt for the motor from the place i bought i from here in WA and yes it is a newer motor, '96 i believe JDM B16A Gen3 (SiR III) with bout 75k on it. my chassis already has bout 205k on it.. i have other members saying that i would have to spay paint or block off the stamp on the block?? is that something that they also look at. any other paperwork i would need?
Old 09-23-2008, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (animoEG)

i lived in bellingham & the yakima valley for a few months its so green up there

about your situation i think i also heard that you have to have the matching ecu for your motor. i got a homie from AZ that did all his dmv crap b4 moving back here and kept his license from AZ so wenever the cops popped his hood (boosted ls in a eg hatch) there wasnt much they could do but just give him a verbal warning. you might wanna try that for a while and see how it works out for you
Old 09-23-2008, 09:33 AM

Default Re: (dmpd_ef)

somebody else here is WA was telling me that i should just keep my car registered here in WA..my wife is actually going to nursing skewl to finish her rn degree down i cali..but i would not know how i would keep my tabs in WA but live in cali..how did ur buddy do it??
Old 09-23-2008, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh its the sir motor??!?!?!
oh well u wont pass smog.
simple as that.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay well just to let you know. Your engine or car will pass smog as long as you have the stock header and intake with a new catalitic converter and it will pass. You will need also the stock ECU that is meant for the motor. I know how it's done because mine passed with a JDM B18C and I have an 93 EG hatchback. So it is possible. And beleive it or not it saves me from a lot of tickets. I get pulled over for my exhaust all the time and because my car is now smog legal with the motor they tell me that for once they see someone do it right so they just let me go.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (outlawracer1)

ok so how come a 100% stock k20a cant pass smog
Old 09-23-2008, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Because there is no way to hook up all the smog devices that they put from the factory. And that includes the ECU. That is one of the most important things. The thing is that those motors are throttle by wire. And the old car cars have the cable. I have seen a couple that have been swapped and have passed smog. But how much money do you want to invest in a 1995 civic is up to you. That's why a lot of people skip that process cause it just costs too much to make your old car throttle by wire. Beleive me they check for everything.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:30 PM

"oh its the sir motor??!?!?!
simple as that."
damn man everybody so far on this thread are being a big help and here u are actin like a dick...wtf im really just trying to c ways to pass my smog
and if its so impossible as u say it is i-VTEC_DOCH then how the fu*ck is everybody rolling with swaps all over cali..
Old 09-24-2008, 12:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (outlawracer1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by outlawracer1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Because there is no way to hook up all the smog devices that they put from the factory. And that includes the ECU. That is one of the most important things. The thing is that those motors are throttle by wire. And the old car cars have the cable. I have seen a couple that have been swapped and have passed smog. But how much money do you want to invest in a 1995 civic is up to you. That's why a lot of people skip that process cause it just costs too much to make your old car throttle by wire. Beleive me they check for everything.</TD></TR></TABLE>

not all k20a are dbw fyi. maybe u should look up some more info before you state anything.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by animoEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">"oh its the sir motor??!?!?!
simple as that."
damn man everybody so far on this thread are being a big help and here u are actin like a dick...wtf im really just trying to c ways to pass my smog
and if its so impossible as u say it is i-VTEC_DOCH then how the fu*ck is everybody rolling with swaps all over cali..
</TD></TR></TABLE>

its called illegal smog moron. all they do is get your vin, attach it to paperwork that states you have a stock motor and u passed smog. thats how. if you dont believe me, ask anyone with a swap in so-cal. somebody will say something about illegal smog. **** we even have illegal smogs where you dont even need to take your car.

Modified by i-VTEC_DOHC at 1:31 AM 9/24/2008
Old 09-24-2008, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So then you're telling me that the ref that did my car made a mistake when he gave me my ref sticker and that I shouldn't have a legal B18. This guy must be related to Arnold Schwarzenegger. He don't know what he's talking about. I know that the Japanese cars are cable driven but Those are not legal in the states. And besides that doesn't matter. He has a B16 so dude beleive me. You'll pass!!!!!
Old 09-25-2008, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

of course the b18c is going to pass because it was sold here in the states. the usdm itr.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (animoEG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by animoEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">somebody else here is WA was telling me that i should just keep my car registered here in WA..my wife is actually going to nursing skewl to finish her rn degree down i cali..but i would not know how i would keep my tabs in WA but live in cali..how did ur buddy do it??</TD></TR></TABLE>

Negative sir.. I hate to tell you that wether you live here or not you can still be cited and or sent to a state ref. Anywho you decide to go this route, tell them youve only been here for less than a week. If they find out you've been here for over atleast 2 weeks they consider you being unlicensed. 12500 CVC and if they can prove you live here they'll get you for registration fraud.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:05 AM

Default Re: (Super Trooper)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Super Trooper &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Negative sir.. I hate to tell you that wether you live here or not you can still be cited and or sent to a state ref. Anywho you decide to go this route, tell them youve only been here for less than a week. If they find out you've been here for over atleast 2 weeks they consider you being unlicensed. 12500 CVC and if they can prove you live here they'll get you for registration fraud.</TD></TR></TABLE>

OK mr super trooper highly uneducated and wrong

i have had a swap eg; infact it was a similar situation. Body had more miles and engine was bought from a company in Pasadena,ca called hmotors

after it was all installed i had the paper work got the car registered and never had any problems .

Now when i had this hatch i was in Oregon .

Btw i had my Oregon plates for like a month and a half never got **** .

Dude and as for fraud haha no fraud
Old 10-05-2008, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ShinjukuS2000)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ShinjukuS2000 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

OK mr super trooper highly uneducated and wrong

i have had a swap eg; infact it was a similar situation. Body had more miles and engine was bought from a company in Pasadena,ca called hmotors

after it was all installed i had the paper work got the car registered and never had any problems .

Now when i had this hatch i was in Oregon .

Btw i had my Oregon plates for like a month and a half never got **** .

Dude and as for fraud haha no fraud </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea a month and a half.. Did you not read where he says he wants to just keep it registered out there? Only way he can keep it registered to WA is if he was a student out here, but he's not.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just bring your car here thats that.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my buddy moved here from chicago for school. his family still lives in chicago so never got ca plates. a cop pulled him over one night, then the same cop happened to pull him over again about a month later to see if he got his car fixed....the cop gave him a ticket because he seen him twice in a month and half time frame with out of state plates and made him get ca plates.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:35 PM

Default Re: (EF_9)

well i have made up my mind and bring the car to CA regardless of the obstacles i have to face in-order to get my car registered...i have been recently contacted by a fellow h-t member that might be able to help be out with the smog sooo i hope it works out....
im haulin the evo behind the penske truck with my buddy behind the wheel and ill be in the hatch...CALI here i come!!!!!! (with my wife and daughter of course)
Old 10-07-2008, 11:05 PM

well it shouldnt be be hard 150$ ill pass for sure!
Old 10-08-2008, 11:54 AM

Default Re: So-Cal H-T members HELP!! (Arturo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Arturo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well it shouldnt be be hard 150$ ill pass for sure! </TD></TR></TABLE>
you talking bout for you or me??
Old 10-09-2008, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well it only took $35 to pass mine. So I got you all beat. Plus mine is legal now. I got you guy's beat times 2
Old 10-09-2008, 11:51 AM

Default Re: So-Cal H-T members HELP!! (outlawracer1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by outlawracer1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well it only took $35 to pass mine. So I got you all beat. Plus mine is legal now. I got you guy's beat times 2 </TD></TR></TABLE>
thanks for the inspiration buddy
Old 10-10-2008, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Glad to be of service LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! By the way.... If you do plan on getting it refed legally you need to have a stock air box and also your stock oil catch can. Make sure the timing is 16 +/- 2 and that you have a new cat just to make sure the exhaust gases are good. Also you'll need a USDM ECU. I think that's all they asked me for. But it passed no problem. Good luck......