Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

CALI smog test

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CALI smog test

so here is my situation, my family and i are moving from WA to CA this november and i was wondering how difficult it would be to pass my car on CA standard smog test.. what is the requirments of the smog test in cali neways..never lived there so i have no idea. i just got my cars tabs done in WA(1992 civic hatch w/jdm b16a3 dc headers, intake, 2 1/2 exhaust w/custom rsx type-s muffler and 2006 evo SE). what do i have to do to past the smog with my civic. if theres to much bullsh*t involved, i might just sell my hatch here in WA. but i have built this hatch from the ground up and the thought of selling her kinda sucks..so please help a fellow h-t member out..
Old 09-19-2008, 09:14 AM

ttt
Old 09-19-2008, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (animoEG)

i believ you will need a working cat and a carb exempt intake. k&n and AEM make one. the dc headers are fine. the motor has to be at least same year or higher than the car chassis to get smogged. OH and NO cels and the proper computer for motor. exhaust can't be louder then 92 decibels i think.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (animoEG)

The EVO is simple. You just need to take it to any smogtest center.

The hatch is a problem. You will need to pass at a referee station.
You will need to have installed.
All emissions equipment like PCV, Evap, ETC...

They will also check for the correct ecu.

If you have a header it will need to have a C.A.R.B. number for it to be legal in california. CARB stands for California Air Resources Board.
Emissions components (Like header, or CAI's)have to pass their tests, when they do they assign these CARB numbers.

Make sure you have a good cat, O2 sensor, and a good tune up.

However the ref stations have been closed down until further notice by the Arnold our Gov. So you would have to wait til they get re-opened.
Old 09-20-2008, 04:40 PM

Default Re: (thesmogman)

well my headers are heat wrapped and i have no idea wat the C.A.R.B. # is, and am i gonna have to unwrap it..and ill put back the stock intake before i move..the exhaust wont be a problem cause like wat i said i have the rsx type-s muffler....
now as far as anti theft devices (hub, quick release, nardi steering wheel) do they have nething against that??again mah bad for the stupid questions but i really have no clue otherwise..thanks again guys
Old 09-20-2008, 05:15 PM
I am my avatar

There's people in the Honda-Tech Marketplace that do hook-ups. You gotta pay a nice little amount of change though.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:18 PM

Default Re: (naRIPSTA)

well i really just wanna try it first and if i cant then i might consider getting help from "hook-ups" but until then any body else got any hints and advice..
and i thought i would not need to smog my evo given that its a 2006 make..and are hub/quick release/wheel set ups allowed
Old 11-01-2008, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CALI smog test (animoEG)

I don't live in CA, in fact, I live on the east coast... Regardless, last time I checked DMV has made it illegal to remove airbags from any vehicle that has them factory installed. The DMV has also said that it is illegal to add HID conversion kits to any vehicle, unless it is an OEM kit designed for the vehicle. This probably isn't much help, but I figured I would thorw it out there. Good luck with the move!!