Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

Thinking of cutting the front of my bumper to get more air in the engine bay look before you laugh.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of cutting the front of my bumper to get more air in the engine bay look before you laugh.

Okay so I noticed that my engine bay gets extremly hot with the turbo and lack of any real holes to let air get in there. Everytime I am at a race I always have my hood opened the whole way until I am very close to run. I have a 92 hatch back and there is no real place where air can be pulled into to cool it down. So my great thought on this is the following.

I will take the bumper off and remove the bumper support. I will have two bars welded in in place of where the bumper support is. I will then cut my front bumper out in a rectangle shape to follow along with where I removed the bumper support. I think this would force in a great amount of air while I am driving. Now my questions are these.

Do you think this will work or am I just smoking crack over here?

What effects will this have on my car besides a lot of air getting in my engine bay? I am thinking it will put some pressure on my hood because the air will be coming in and the only way out will be down.

It may slow my car down b/c of extra drag? Not sure on this one.

Anyone have any thoughts on this or do you think it is a dumb idea?
Old 08-17-2004, 05:14 PM
RTFM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

well it could also allow a lot of air to flow AROUND your radiator rather than through it also.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:52 PM

stack washers under your hood hinges to raise it about 3/4-1in. This will create a ram air effect and allow air into your engine bay. I wouldnt be too crazy about cutting a hole in your bumper, because then your screwing with aerodynamics and possibly messing with radiator air flow.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turbociv)

yeah don't really want to do the washer trick. I am eventually going to get the evo styled cf hood and get rid of my cf hood that should let some more air in.

As far as air going around the rad. I don't think there is much air getting to it now since it is all closed in.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:55 AM
RTFM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

if it is a stock bumper then there is plenty of air getting in there, after all tehse cars are designed to be drivien by women in bumper to bumper traffic who dont have a clue that in order to keep things working htey have to change the coolant and oil regularly.

i have thought about altering the way air flows, but I don't hae a windtunnel to test any of the flow changes I make, and I would be mroe afraid of creatign low or high pressure pockets that can alte rhte aerodynamics in a negative manner...and i would think making a big huge hole in the front of the car would hurt aerodynamic a lot. i see it as making a windtrap in the front of the car which usually slows things down.

and as far as air flowing around the radiator, most cars that have a radiator setup like the civic as far as the side by side, i know ones that are not a/c equipped often come with a block off plate to force air to pass through the radiator rather than around it since air that passes the radiator means less engine cooling.

maybe im the one tha tis on crack but thats how i see it. adding a super hot peiece of metal to the top half of the engien and a lot more piping up there is a given that it will get hotter, and honda engine bays were not designed too well for that kind of setup...maybe someone who has found a diff way that works will chime in.
Old 08-18-2004, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (v4lu3s)

Here is what the front of my car looks like.

As you can see when the hood is closed there is really not place for air to enter. I know it is pretty sealed in there for this reason. When I was having my axle problem and the axle seal would pop out and the oil would hit my downpipe and start to smoke only smoke would be coming out of the little gaps where the hood and fender meets.

I am not sure how much cutting a huge hold would slow me down or what type of effects it would have. I was hoping on finding a cheap bumper at a junk yard and trying it out to see what happens.
Old 08-18-2004, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (underpressure02)

why dont u just take that grille off? that should help a bit.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ArinX)

The problem is that there is a low pressure buildup inside the engine bay, and a high pressure flow on the outside (front bumper, top of hood, underneath) The washer trick will equalize some of that pressure and allow some cross flow into the engine bay and underneath where it should go. The EVO hood would be a nice touch too, but spend more $$ why throw away a perfectly good CF hood?

I wouldn't cut the bumper. Are you overheating? If not, then it's perfectly fine. Or else heatwrap some of the turbo components to keep the underhood temps lower.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Finest)

No not over heating at all. I actually run pretty cool. It is just so dam hot in there. I can not even touch my intake manifold. I have a turbo blanket and that helped a little but not much. I was going to wrap the downpipe but going to wait until I get my new setup.

I would remove the front grill but I kind of like the way you can not see the IC. Also it makes it look more ricey so then people have no clue what just beat them.

Maybe I will try the washer trick. I saw it on Petes car and did not like the way it looked.
Old 08-26-2004, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (underpressure02)

u know u wanna cut a huge hole in your bumper like mine.
Old 08-26-2004, 02:26 PM

Default Re: (ICeDoUt)

im not sure how the washer trick works, but why not try to find a way to get the back of the hood up(closest to the windshield)? reason being since heat goes up that would give it the effect of the evo hood(if not better) where the air could escape and you wouldnt have to get a ricey hood.
Old 08-26-2004, 03:12 PM
bitemail

IMO unless you have an exit vent in your engine bay like the JUN one I have then adding vent may just hurt you aerodynamically.
LIke Finest said about the hight /low pressure. There will be a high pressure area in the bay causing aire to pass around rather then go through.
Old 08-26-2004, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bitemail)

U need this http://www.suprasport.com/supr...d/308
Old 08-26-2004, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Boostage)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by underpressure02 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No not over heating at all. I actually run pretty cool. It is just so dam hot in there. I can not even touch my intake manifold. I have a turbo blanket and that helped a little but not much. I was going to wrap the downpipe but going to wait until I get my new setup.

I would remove the front grill but I kind of like the way you can not see the IC. Also it makes it look more ricey so then people have no clue what just beat them.

Maybe I will try the washer trick. I saw it on Petes car and did not like the way it looked. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 08-27-2004, 05:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (FunkDaddyFresh)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FunkDaddyFresh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im not sure how the washer trick works, but why not try to find a way to get the back of the hood up(closest to the windshield)? reason being since heat goes up that would give it the effect of the evo hood(if not better) where the air could escape and you wouldnt have to get a ricey hood.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That IS the washer trick.

BTW, the air won't flow out...it'll actually flow INTO the engine bay. Remember, high pressure/low pressure. The top of the hood will have a high pressure area, so when you do the washer trick, the air will flow INTO the low pressure area under the hood, thereby helping cool down the engine bay temps.
Old 08-28-2004, 01:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cowl induction
Old 08-28-2004, 11:20 AM

Default Re: (Finest)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Finest &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That IS the washer trick.

BTW, the air won't flow out...it'll actually flow INTO the engine bay. Remember, high pressure/low pressure. The top of the hood will have a high pressure area, so when you do the washer trick, the air will flow INTO the low pressure area under the hood, thereby helping cool down the engine bay temps. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah i knew that... i was, uhm.... testing you
Old 08-29-2004, 05:44 PM
bitemail

Default Re: (FunkDaddyFresh)

NOt too sure about the air will flow in theory....A hood vent will help to dissipate the heat though.
Old 08-29-2004, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (bitemail)

i found the same problem with my setup.

the hot air created by the turbo has no place to go. having a heat shield on the manifold keeps the air traped right in the turbo area heating up my charge pipes and back of intercooler.

their is a few options.
1. Make an air duct running from under the car and flowing the air up and around the turbo and charge pipes.
2. Cut holes in the bumper, and bumper cover, and run air ducts from the holes and running the air past the manifold and pushing the hot air out.
3. Cut vents into the hood over the manifold/turbo to suck the hot air out. if done right this could look good. but have lots of rust from water seaping in.
4. Do the washer trick. IT WORKS. droped my EGT temps 100-200 Degrees Farenhight. seems to allowe the air to get sucked up through the intercooler and released out through the back of the hood. were as before it would get traped because their was no place for it to go out.
5. also making a fan shroud, and running a higher CFM fan will help keep engine temps down.