Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Oil in gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2024, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil in gas tank

I’ve done a whole tune up new head gasket , distributor wires spark plugs fuel filter fuel pump car was running fine now I believe there’s oil in my gas tank I drained it and let it sit for 2 days and this is what’s left , how could oil be contaminating my fuel system besides a head gasket ??
Old 04-30-2024, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil in gas tank

Forgot to mention I had 3 spark plug wells full of oil from installing the gaskets wrong but that got fixed no leaks since but I’m thinking there’s still a bigger issue because its still trying to cut out while driving I believe still , mainly between low gear shifts
Old 04-30-2024, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 80 Likes on 78 Posts

A head gasket is not going to let oil into your gas tank... There is nothing that will let oil into the tank unless you tapped into the fuel return line with an oil feed line but that would be completely stupid and obviously a dumb thing to do.. Or some Numb Nutt was to actually pour oil into the tank. Wasn't you was it lol idk how you would put on the grommets wrong, they are only supposed to be installed one way..
You sure it's oil?? Not a contaminated gas tank that is rusting out from the inside though the color is odd..??
Personally, I would drop the tank and inspect the inside for rust and also pull the pump to check the sock filter, probably clogged to ****.
It will need to be probably treated to inhibit rust any further or replaced if anything and also a new fuel pump..
The following users liked this post:
Old 04-30-2024, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Maxcapacity
A head gasket is not going to let oil into your gas tank... There is nothing that will let oil into the tank unless you tapped into the fuel return line with an oil feed line but that would be completely stupid and obviously a dumb thing to do.. Or some Numb Nutt was to actually pour oil into the tank. Wasn't you was it lol idk how you would put on the grommets wrong, they are only supposed to be installed one way..
You sure it's oil?? Not a contaminated gas tank that is rusting out from the inside though the color is odd..??
Personally, I would drop the tank and inspect the inside for rust and also pull the pump to check the sock filter, probably clogged to ****.
It will need to be probably treated to inhibit rust any further or replaced if anything and also a new fuel pump..
okay thank you man , so I don’t have to tear apart the engine again hopefully , I didn’t even think about rust that is very possible I just got the car back on the road been sitting couple years (started every 6 months) , I’ve been letting that pan of gas and (contaminates) I drained evaporate outside to see what is left but I will definitely drop the tank this weekend , flush fuel system , and probably end up buying a whole new one and another new pump/filter and see if the problem persists , I put new gas in since I drained that crap and the stalling out problem still happening so I’ll start with doing all that okay thanks again for the reply
Old 04-30-2024, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

When I had took it out 2 days ago before gas evaporated I suppose , it looked like this

Old 05-01-2024, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you had already recently replaced the pump, just check the sock filter on it when you pull it out, if it's black, replace just the sock filter, the pump should still be ok.
It may be difficult to see inside the tank because the baffles may block your view unless you have a inspection camera that you can put in there.
After you drop the tank, just put a few liters of gas in it and swish it around real good (the tank is not heavy to do so) then drain it. See if it has any sediments that come out?
I wonder if you could use rust mort in the tank to treat it? Not ideal but Maybe?
Old 05-01-2024, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you had already recently replaced the pump, just check the sock filter on it when you pull it out, if it's black, replace just the sock filter, the pump should still be ok.
It may be difficult to see inside the tank because the baffles may block your view unless you have a inspection camera that you can put in there.
After you drop the tank, just put a few liters of gas in it and swish it around real good (the tank is not heavy to do so) then drain it. See if it has any sediments that come out?
I wonder if you could use rust mort in the tank to treat it? Not ideal but Maybe?
yes I had changed the fuel pump the screen for it & fuel filter in the engine bay with a friend a couple years ago but the car did sit for quite some time , it’s just crazy how dark the gas got after leaving it in the pan outside I’m not sure if gas changes black like that but regardless there’s gotta be something happening in my fuel system that doesn’t seem right and the way the car tries to cut out doesn’t seem like air or spark I cleaned filter and new plugs dizzy wires tps sensor cleaned throttle body drove good for a day ish , I’m still suspecting the gas/fuel system it drives okay for a moment everytime I add more gas but the problem comes back , okay will do that I’m gona check the fuel pump and gas tank best I can try and clean it all up Saturday yup that’s my mission thanks again!
Old 05-03-2024, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

plz check new photo I do think it’s rust!? Gas has mostly evaporated and there is black debree & sludge stuff at bottom (disregard leaf trimmings)

Old 05-03-2024, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yup, definitely going to need a new filter on the fuel pump after it has been seeing the crud going into it. There is rust for sure in the tank, you can see all the particles..
Might even want to have your injectors flow tested and cleaned too..
Good luck with your issue and hopefully it works out in the end.
Old 05-03-2024, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yup, definitely going to need a new filter on the fuel pump after it has been seeing the crud going into it. There is rust for sure in the tank, you can see all the particles..
Might even want to have your injectors flow tested and cleaned too..
Good luck with your issue and hopefully it works out in the end.
Oh yea you’re right man sure is look at this!! Thanks!

Last edited by SavetheSOHCs; 05-03-2024 at 10:19 AM.
Old 05-03-2024, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow! That sure is crusty! Definitely see if you can source a brand new tank or one in better shape!
Might want to pull the fuel level sending unit and let it soak over night in a bath of 50/50mix water and vinegar. After a quick dry, soak it in gas. Probably just as crusty and may be discontinued if you try to get a new one..
Best to just replace the pump and both filters... Shitty deal.. but hopefully that's all to this story..

Last edited by Maxcapacity; 05-03-2024 at 05:25 PM.
Old 05-06-2024, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Update - will be installing a new tank forsure as everything is rusted