Honda Civic (2016 - Current) 10th Generation Civic Forum Civic / Si / Type-R Discussions

Windows ROLL DOWN because of key fob

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2020, 08:25 AM
Trial User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Icon4 Windows ROLL DOWN because of key fob

Bought a new Honda (first time) and there's a feature on the key fob that automatically rolls down the windows if you hold the unlock button. This feature is CRAZY and unsafe and way too sensitive. I parked, walked with keys in hand across a parking lot and into a restaurant, put my keys in my pocket, and when I came back out all four windows had been rolled down and someone stole valuables from the trunk. This feature was activated three days in a row without my knowing. I do NOT understand the value of it and see way more safety issues. I filed an official complaint with Honda and have seen people documenting their concerns about this function as far back as 2008. Besides the obvious issues with theft and vandalism, there's also a huge risk of water damage, someone sneaking into your car, etc...When I talked to Honda customer service they said it was just a normal function of the key and that I should just be more careful. I'm literally talking about my car being a FULL block+ away and it happening. About being in another building across the street and it happening.

Is this an issue for others?
The following 2 users liked this post by adarsch:
Old 01-14-2020, 01:38 PM

Received 236 Likes on 210 Posts
Default Re: Windows ROLL DOWN because of key fob

i actually did the opposite. I got software to actually activate full window rolldown because of my dogs in my Ford. I found it wonderfully convenient, not too sensitive and much easier to cool the car down.

I recommend you elminate a few keys on your key ring when deciding to use your pockets, (especially if you are one that wears jeans or sweats that would be considered a bit on the tighter fitting side of things) as that might affect how the button is being a activated.

But I haven't heard any complaints personally. My wife loves the feature, and has for years..

iono
The following users liked this post:
Old 01-15-2020, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love the feature and use it all the time, in the summer. As stated above, it is a great way to cool the car down a little before getting in. I've never had an issue with unknowingly holding the button in my pocket though. To be honest, the FOB never actually leaves my pocket until I get home.

Something is odd though. When you unlock the car with the FOB and do not open the door, the car should re-lock itself after a few seconds. It comes this way from Honda, unless the salesperson or person responsible for doing the PDI disabled it. I believe this happens even if you held the button to roll the windows down and didnt open a door afterwards. If the car re-locks itself, and there is no trunk release inside the car (unless the thief knows where the manual latch is), how did they get into your trunk? Is it a hatchback?

Last edited by cdfive.; 01-15-2020 at 02:41 PM.
Old 06-14-2021, 12:03 PM
Trial User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by adarsch
Bought a new Honda (first time) and there's a feature on the key fob that automatically rolls down the windows if you hold the unlock button. This feature is CRAZY and unsafe and way too sensitive. I parked, walked with keys in hand across a parking lot and into a restaurant, put my keys in my pocket, and when I came back out all four windows had been rolled down and someone stole valuables from the trunk. This feature was activated three days in a row without my knowing. I do NOT understand the value of it and see way more safety issues. I filed an official complaint with Honda and have seen people documenting their concerns about this function as far back as 2008. Besides the obvious issues with theft and vandalism, there's also a huge risk of water damage, someone sneaking into your car, etc...When I talked to Honda customer service they said it was just a normal function of the key and that I should just be more careful. I'm literally talking about my car being a FULL block+ away and it happening. About being in another building across the street and it happening.

Yes! It happened my 2017 CRV in the pouring down rain!! And several time since. I called my dealership and one other and Honda Corporation directly and there I no way, I’m told, to disable this “safety” feature that is anything but safe!! After spending almost $40,000 on this car the LAST thing I would have thought would be that our 4th Honda would roll its own windows down and open its own sunroof. I even put a rubber fob cover on my remote and it still did it! Honda DOES NOT CARE!! Has anyone started a class action suit cause I’d jump on board that train!
lynne
Old 06-17-2021, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts

I have a '19 Sport hatch and have had this happen on 4 occasions so far. Although I tried RELENTLESSLY to duplicate it to no avail.. I have had a couple instances where all my warning lights have dinged at once and remained on for a while, disabling almost ALL my convenience features.. I thought these 2 may have been related but, maybe not. Lol

Edit: I was finally able to duplicate this.. I started with the car locked then hit the unlock 2 times, on the second press of unlock, I held it down and VOILA, windows all came down..
Old 07-27-2021, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is a feature that Honda added so you can roll your windows down when it's hot outside to cool your car off before you get in. You can disable it in your vehicle settings on your stereo.
Old 07-29-2021, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnisnor1975
This is a feature that Honda added so you can roll your windows down when it's hot outside to cool your car off before you get in. You can disable it in your vehicle settings on your stereo.
May wanna explain this one.. I've not seen ANYTHING regarding auto window roll down in my stereo menus.
Old 07-30-2021, 12:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Txdragon
May wanna explain this one.. I've not seen ANYTHING regarding auto window roll down in my stereo menus.
I saw something in one of the menu's on my 17 touring the other day that I thought was something to do with this. I'll have a look later on when I am off work.
Old 07-30-2021, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Txdragon
I thought I saw something for controlling this in the settings but apparently I was wrong. Seems crazy honda would ad this feature but not make a way to disable it.
seems most people add those rubber fob covers and that makes it harder to push the button by accident.
Old 11-15-2021, 03:56 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

YES!!! What can be done about this?
Old 11-23-2021, 12:00 PM
Trial User

Is there no way to prevent this. Just happened to me and the sunroof also opened, of course we had a hard rain overnight and a freeze that morning. A real mess inside my car.
Old 11-23-2021, 12:09 PM
Global Moderator

Received 434 Likes on 402 Posts

Usually, it is where the buttons are accidentally depressed.

You could get a faraday bag to block the signal.
Old 12-03-2021, 11:09 AM
Trial User

Icon4 Re: Windows ROLL DOWN because of key fob

Originally Posted by ldmaccal
Yes! It happened my 2017 CRV in the pouring down rain!! And several time since. I called my dealership and one other and Honda Corporation directly and there I no way, I’m told, to disable this “safety” feature that is anything but safe!! After spending almost $40,000 on this car the LAST thing I would have thought would be that our 4th Honda would roll its own windows down and open its own sunroof. I even put a rubber fob cover on my remote and it still did it! Honda DOES NOT CARE!! Has anyone started a class action suit cause I’d jump on board that train!
lynne

I would 100% jump on board for a class action this "Feature" is not listed in the user manual and I would not have purchased my Civic if I was made aware before my purchase. My care has been broken into on four occasions in two years because the windows were rolled down. This is a safety issue not a safety feature.
Old 12-24-2021, 04:23 AM

My solution to the accidental roll-down is not stylish or elegant but it beats stolen stuff or rain in the interior. I took a piece of plastic..a CD/DVD separator, and cut it with scissors to the shape of the key base. It was a bit ragged..a better cut could have been probably been done with a box cutter. Anyway, I covered the hard plastic with good quality duct tape so there were no jagged edges. then I used a rubber band..the kind they use on broccoli bunches, to affix the plastic to the button side of the key base. The hard plastic appears to prevent the buttons from being pressed accidentally.
Old 01-05-2022, 05:16 AM
Trial User

I have a 2016 Civic - my windows also are randomly rolling down. Usually happens before/while I am walking away, and I am very careful not to touch the buttons on the keyfob after locking the car. Last night I locked my car and waiting a bit - windows stayed up. This morning they were all down. So far I have not found any sound answer to this problem. Anyone found a solution? Thank you.
Old 05-07-2022, 04:24 AM
Trial User

I am having the same issue with our 2017 Civic. There are no other keys on the keyring and it’s happening when I’m holding the key by the ring. Clearly, it’s not because of buttons being accidentally pressed. I’m wondering if the battery in my fob needs to be replaced.
Old 01-08-2023, 02:45 PM
Trial User

Apparently with the new Civics you can disable this feature.
Old 02-09-2023, 08:54 AM
Trial User

I had the same issue on my 2019 Honda Civic and in Canada there is no way to turn that off. Turned out it was my key fob causing it so replaced it and all was fine but still keep my keys as far away from the car when in the apt just in case
Old 02-09-2023, 08:56 AM
Trial User

Only USA models can be turned off and Canadian models the option is not there
Old 02-09-2023, 08:59 AM
Trial User

Was your Honda made in the USA as mine was made in Alliston Ontario and the option to turn it off is not there. Seems allot of options on the usa models do not exist on the Canadian models
Old 02-09-2023, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The 10th gen Hatchbacks were made in the UK. That is where my 2019 Hatch was made.
Old 11-08-2023, 06:47 PM
Trial User

very much so , I was at the coast the first time this happened, and , of course , it rained overnight. The 15 years of experience honda mechanic where my car was purchased couldn’t tell me why the brake assist button (supposed to hold brake on in traffic if you press on brake while pushing the button, at stoplights , etc. STUPID option , waste,raof time, tech)only worked 1 time , then wouldn’t function again . He didn’t know the seatbelt had to be buckled, which I found in the manual, didn’t even bother .to ask about windows. Live on the coast ,rained first night I had the car , woke to all windows down. Honda leaves a lot of intelligence outside the door when they get to work. Took less than a minute to get it unlocked when I left my keys in it.
Old 11-09-2023, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 283 Likes on 271 Posts

I do not have this issue thankfully in my 2020 LX, I keep my key fob in my pocket and in my backpack that is full of other stuff all the time, and it never activates, if I purposely push and hold the unlock button it will only crack each window open a few inches. I dont seem to have any other function holding either buttons either at the same time or for a few secs. Just holding the unlock cracks my windows open a few inches.

Perhaps there is some sensitive remotes/ models on some older years that cause them to activate so easily? Has anyone tried a rubber key fob cover to see if that helps with the buttons being pressed.

Last edited by wunfstgsr; 11-09-2023 at 09:31 PM.
Old 11-13-2023, 05:34 AM
Trial User

yes this is a problem for me too,windows open and car seats soaking wet from the rain